• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Southend United v Aldershot Town, Saturday 18th March, 15:00 k.o., NL

Starting XI and result

• Steve Arnold

Votes: 49 87.5%
  • Gus Scott-Morriss

• Shaun Hobson

• Ollie Kensdale

• Nathan Ralph

Votes: 47 83.9%
  • Jack Bridge

• Cav Miley

• Noor Husin (now confirmed injured)

Votes: 8 14.3%
  • Wes Fonguck

Votes: 26 46.4%
  • Harry Cardwell

Votes: 47 83.9%
  • Rhys Murphy

Votes: 27 48.2%
  • Louis Lomas

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • Harry Taylor

Votes: 22 39.3%
  • Dan Mooney

Votes: 28 50.0%
  • Callum Powell

Votes: 8 14.3%
  • Chris Wreh

Votes: 19 33.9%
  • Jason Demetriou

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Tom Clifford

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jake Hyde

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Henry Sandat

Votes: 6 10.7%
  • Jon Benton

Votes: 5 8.9%
  • Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Win

Votes: 39 69.6%
  • Draw

• Lose

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shrimpergonzo

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver⭐
Staff member
Four defeats in a row have led to us dropping out of the play-offs with ten games to go.

If you're a pessimist the season is over, if you're an optimist all of those defeats were by a single goal to teams above us in the league and we've had dodgy refereeing decisions go against us and cost us goals in both the last two 1-0 defeats. The game is all about fine margins and a bit of luck and surely it's time for our luck to turn.

The last ten games are:

Aldershot(H)
Altincham (A)
Dorking (A)
Yeovil (A)
Maidstone (H)
Woking (A)
Dagenham (H)
Oldham (A)
Scunthorpe (A)
Wealdstone (H)

There is nothing particularly to frighten us there - Woking and Oldham are on a decent run of form, but other than that there are at least 8 winnable games which equals 24 points. That would give us a total of 77 points, the same number of points that Grimsby finished on in 6th place last season, and we know how their season ended.

So first up is Aldershot Town, now managed by Ross McNeilly since sacking Mark Molesley last October. McNeilly's win percentage is even worse than Molesley's so it's fair to say he did not really give them the new manager bounce they were expecting. They're winless in their last 7 games and most recently got a 1-1 draw against lowly Maidstone. There are likely to be a couple of familiar faces in their squad for Saturday's game, Tyler Cordner is a regular starter for them whilst midfielder Michael Klass has had to be content with mainly appearances off the bench in recent games.

It’s a game between two out of form teams (which doesn’t bode well!) and although our recent run of games was against top sides which explains some of our results, three of the six teams the Shots have faced in their last six games (Barnet, Chesterfield and Wrexham) were the same as us.

2EDEFBAA-B451-454C-A4C8-D5130F1304D9.jpeg

For what it’s worth, I thought our performance looked brighter and more attacking on Tuesday night, and with a bit more luck and quality in the penalty box we’d have probably got the win the performance deserved.

Husin went off with an ankle injury and it remains to be seen if he will be fit enough to play on Saturday (edit: now confirmed he won’t be). If not it probably means a recall for Harry Taylor who is a bit less attacking minded. Whether Rhys Murphy is fit enough to start two games in a week remains to be seen, if not him and Wreh will probably be a straight swap, although a recall for Callum Powell is also a possibility.

So who would you choose to start in the game that kick starts the remainder of the season and what do you predict the result will be?

Last edited:
I'd like to keep positive, although can be hard sometimes with Southend 😂, but yes we've been close in all these games, the ones I feel we can catch are Eastleigh we have 2 games in hand and they still have to go to boring wood and chesterfield, and we are capable of putting a run together which we have done in the past.

Starting with a 2-0 win on Saturday

I've gone for the same XI that started at Boreham Wood. There was nothing wrong with that team that a goal, instead of a near miss, won't fix, and I'm hoping that Cardwell and Murph will be desperate to atone for their Tuesday misses. I'm also giving Fonguck another start to back up Bridge, and the pair of them will do more damage than just Jack, as opposing clubs have sussed Jack on his own. I would also like to see Gus Scott-Morris utilised more to give us a more balanced attack down both flanks.

Being an optimist (where the football is concerned), I'm reckoning on a win and our play-off chances looking brighter.

3-0 to the Blues :LoyalSupporter:

ive gone for a 4-4-2 formation, picked Husein but if not fit bring in Taylor to allow Miley a bit of extra freedom to come forward.
Arnold, GSM, Hobson, Kensdale, Ralph
Mooney, Husein ( Taylor ) Miley, Bridge
Cardwell, Wreh
SUBS , Lomas, Taylor ( Fongduck ) Murphy, Powell, Benton or Colin, (depends whether or not Maher wants a GK on subs bench.
going for a nice win, Got to be our turn sometime 3-0

I've gone for the same XI that started at Boreham Wood. There was nothing wrong with that team that a goal, instead of a near miss, won't fix, and I'm hoping that Cardwell and Murph will be desperate to atone for their Tuesday misses. I'm also giving Fonguck another start to back up Bridge, and the pair of them will do more damage than just Jack, as opposing clubs have sussed Jack on his own. I would also like to see Gus Scott-Morris utilised more to give us a more balanced attack down both flanks.

Being an optimist (where the football is concerned), I'm reckoning on a win and our play-off chances looking brighter.

But you cannot be serious man! Injuries surely there's Injuries to consider! All joking aside I'm sure you are right RHB the team came close against BW who are very tight defensively conceded fewer than us ! Fine margins and scoring during our good spells of play would settle the players and supporters imo
Though Shots will be thinking weather the early storm and wait for a sucker punch or the ref's help.
Optimism V Karma for RM dirty deeds

………………..Arnold
……Hobson..Kensdale..Ralph
GSM………………………………Bridge
………….Miley…….Taylor
……………….Mooney
…………Murphy….Cardwell

That’s my effort for this game. I reckon Noor needs a rest and we need to get our most likely goal threats consistent match time together IMO, and that’s this lot. That’s our best chance of turning around our form and trying to get that last play off spot come the end of the season.

………………..Arnold
……Hobson..Kensdale..Ralph
GSM………………………………Bridge
………….Miley…….Taylor
……………….Mooney
…………Murphy….Cardwell

That’s my effort for this game. I reckon Noor needs a rest and we need to get our most likely goal threats consistent match time together IMO, and that’s this lot. That’s our best chance of turning around our form and trying to get that last play off spot come the end of the season.
How about same players in 442 as some are saying we don't get the best out of Mooney.
So Bridge LM and Mooney or Powell RM overloading fullbacks and centre backs . Just a thought might also surprise the opposition!

Can u remind me when we score 3 goals please ,I‘m a glass half full person ,but u r pushing the boundaries !🤨

Can u remind me when we score 3 goals please ,I‘m a glass half full person ,but u r pushing the boundaries !🤨
Can you remind me when we last had Cardwell and Murphy starting together two games running? I live in hope Stan. Sometimes it's better than being miserable the way some on here are 24/7. We want Martin out, say. we want Martin out (just practicing :Winking: ).

Arnold
GSM - Kensdale - Hobson - Ralph
Mooney - Taylor - Miley - Bridge
Wreh - Cardwell

3-0 win.
I would like to see a flat back 4 trialled as I think 3 CBs is overkill against these types of size and stops us being one dimensional potentially.

I really hope Mooney hits some form before the end of the season as he has all the talent of Bridge.

3-4-3

Arnold

Hobson Kensdale Lomas

GSM Husin Miley Ralph

Mooney Cardwell Bridge
Probably just as unlikely as 442 and Bridge likes to be nearer the touch line whereas Mooney may like to cut inside more than Bridge, leaves Cardwell isolated imo which I guess is why Fonguck gets mentioned to link between Bridge and central striker/s quite a bit..

It could happen , id like this scenario Miley scores a classic Hat trick, left foot , right foot , header get in!!!

Arnold

Hobson. Kensdale Ralph

Miley

GSM Benton. Mooney Bridge

Cardwell. Murphy

At least there would be more chance of scoring with Husin, Taylor and Fonguck out of the equation.

Arnold,
GSM, Hobson, Kensdale, Clifford
Mooney, Taylor, Miley, Ralph
Cardwell, Powell

sub. Lomas, Bridge, Murphy, Wreh, Fonguck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back