• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Official Match Thread Southend United v Aldershot Town

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Big Dady

¡Viva la Kevolución! ⭐️ ⭐️
Staff member
The Official Match Thread brought to you by ShrimperZone.com

So here we are, our third home game in the Vanarama National League of the 2021/22 season. This is Phil Brown’s 6th home game in charge since he was reappointed Manager of the Mighty Shrimpers.

Our 3rd match is at home is against Aldershot Town

Vanarama National League.png

SUFC.jpgVS.pngAldershot Town.png
It is now time for ALL of us to get behind him and the team whether you are at Roots Hall, listening on the radio, listening on Blues TV, you can all still make that famous "Roots Hall Roar”.

Phil Brown’s 3rd Southend United Vanarama National League Home Team of the 2021/22 season

E_Q1SlSWYAwMOL7.jpg

The Roots Hall pitch looks fantastic and is ready for action at 19.45 hrs Tuesday 14th September 2021 against Aldershot Town. It looks like we will have light rain showers with a light wind during this evening’s game at Roots Hall.

Roots Hall 1.jpg

Roots Hall 2.jpg

Roots Hall 3.jpg

Here is the weather forecast for this evening at Roots Hall
SUFC v Aldershot Town Weather.png
Current League home record after 2 home games

Won 0
Dawn 1
Lost 1
Goals scored 2
Goals conceded 3

League Positions Last Season

23rd (2020/21 Season) EFL League Two Southend United (Relegated)
15th (2020/21 Season) Vanarama National League Aldershot Town

League Positions Current Season

14th (2021/22 Season) Vanarama National League Southend United
22nd (2021/22 Season) Vanarama National League Aldershot Town

Recent League Position Change

SUFC v Aldershot Town Positions.png
Previous Meetings

Aldershot Town 0-2 Southend United (L2 16/04/13 Att. 2,568)
Southend United 1-2 Aldershot Town (L2 23/10/12 Att. 4,225)
Southend United 0-1 Aldershot Town (L2 20/03/12 Att. 4,580)
Aldershot Town 2-0 Southend United (L2 21/02/12 Att. 2,949)
Southend United 0-0 Aldershot Town (L2 02/04/11 Att. 25,557)

Head to Head record

Southend United Wins: 1
Draws: 1
Aldershot Town Wins: 4

Current Form

Aldershot Town
L L L L L
Southend United W L D D L

Come On You Blues!

Managers Pre-match Views

Aldershot Town

Aldershot Town Manager
spoke to their OS before travelling down to Roots Hall

Danny Searle.jpg
Aldershot Town Manager Danny Searle

Aldershot Town continue their season in the 2021/22 Vanarama National League against Southend United today with a 7:45pm kick-off.

Read what First-Team Manager Danny Searle had to say in full:

Q: Danny, Southend on Tuesday, what’s your thoughts ahead of the game?

“I think we need to reward what’s actually been some very good performances recently with some points.

“In fact, I’m not even worried if the performance is good, we just need to get some points on the board and give these lads some breathing space, because to be honest with you, the efforts especially in the last two games, I think the efforts have been superb from the lads and some of the little bits of bad luck that have kind of gone against us a little bit, we’ve got to take that on the chin and move forward.

“From our perspective, the boys know we are so close to everything falling into place and that needs to be from tomorrow night against Southend.”

Q: When you look back at the last few games, we’ve had our spells and everything but to lose the games we have especially recently, it must be the most frustrating thing from you

“It is tough because we’ve played five games, four of the five against those in the top six and no one’s battered us.

“No one’s run all over us and had an easy win against us and actually I’d argue in some of those games, if we’d have been a bit more clinical and a bit more decisive in what we’re doing, we could’ve come out with more than what we’ve got.

“So it is frustrating and I understand the fans’ frustration and we’ve lost five games in a row and it doesn’t look good and I think from our perspective, I can guarantee we are more frustrated than they are because we’re working really to ensure we’re set up right and I think especially in the last two games, we’ve set up exactly how we wanted to.

“You look at the second goal that wins the game on Saturday (against Solihull), if that got played 1000 times again, that would never happen again.

“That our centre-half wins the header cleanly and it bounces off the knee of one of our midfielders and puts their centre-forward through on goal and what I’ve said to the boys today is unfortunately, where you are where we are, those things do go against you and listen we can’t control that, so forget about that and let’s prepare like those things are going to happen against us and lets eradicate other mistakes we can control and they understand that and one things that’s for sure, regardless of win, lose or draw, the boys are putting up a fight and they’re not going to go down without any kind of resistance.

“They’re rolling their sleeves up and we had a good meeting today, good conversation, training will be good and we’ll be ready.

Q: Saturday also saw the likes of George (Fowler), Mo (Bettamer), Wass (Aouachria) also get his first start and Mo back and build match fitness, how are they doing and how is Kev (Lokko) doing following the warm-up injury?

“Kev will not be available. Obviously that was a big blow losing him in the warm-up and I don’t think people understand sometimes when you’ve got a squad of our size, the only way we get our players fit is by playing them.

“We had two players play on Saturday and could only do a maximum of 45 minutes and both of them to be honest with you, were probably spent after 30 of those 45 and that’s where we are.

“We’re not using it as an excuse because that’s the facts but we don’t seem to get any understanding that actually, has anyone actually looked at how many first-team players we’ve actually got compared to the rest of the league?

“The performances are getting there and I genuinely think as I’ve maintained, we’re not far away and it might sound like I’m coming out with a bit of an attitude with it. But I am, I’m coming out with a bit of a fighting attitude, because some of these boys are getting stick they don’t deserve.

“Aim it at me, no problem that’s fine. But not the players, the players are giving everything they’ve got and I think from my perspective, when the tide turns, which I believe will be very very soon, everyone will be looking back thinking, maybe we were a bit harsh on them at the start because they’ve deserved more than what they’ve got.

“As I said, it’s not about me, it’s not about Anwar, not about Koops, it’s not about the staff, not about the board, it’s about the players, they’ve deserved more than what they’ve got so far and I genuinely think they are going to start getting what they deserve and everyone will be looking back thinking it was a tough start but do you know what, credit to the boys.”

Q: Tuesday sees us play a recently-relegated Southend United, a team that Aldershot’s got a bit of history with, what are you expecting from them?

“This is a club that when I was growing up, they were on the brink of being in the top division of the league, plans for a 40,000-seater stadium to be built and it’s quite sad really to see them where they are now because they’ve had such a rich history of league football.

“It’s just another massive challenge for us, you’re playing against a sleeping giant of some sorts, albeit a short period of time sleeping, but they’re a massive club but you know what, we’ve watched their footage just like we’ve watched everyone else’s footage and we’re not frightened of them and we’ll go into the game expecting to get something from the fixture.”

Link to interview

Link

Southend United

Phil Brown talked to the Chris Phillips at the Echo before this evening’s game against Aldershot Town

Southend United manager Phil Brown ready to face 'wounded animal' at Roots Hall

Echo 1.jpg
Going head to head - Southend United manager Phil Brown will take on Danny Searle's Aldershot Town on Tuesday night

Southend United manager Phil Brown feels the Shrimpers will be facing a 'wounded animal' at Roots Hall on Tuesday night.

Aldershot Town have lost all five of their matches so far this season.

But Brown believes Shots will be tough to beat.

"We let ourselves down on Saturday but that won’t be the case against Aldershot," said Brown.

"We’ll be ready for them but they’ll be like a wounded animal for sure.

"They’ve got no points on board and they’re fighting for their lives."

And Brown knows the Shrimpers must be fully motivated if they are to end their run of four matches without a win.

"You’ve got to be motivated and self motivated at this level more than anywhere," said Brown.

"The opposition on Saturday went physical.

"For two or three games before hand they have been technical and passing the ball about.

"But I think they went for physicality against us and speaking to the manager afterwards he said they knew they would be in for a tough game.

"It didn’t turn out that way though and that’s why I was disappointed with my team

Link to interview

Link

Phil Brown talks to Chris Phillips at the Echo before today’s game with Aldershot Town

Midfielder pushing for Southend United start while duo are rated 50/50

Echo 2.jpg
Waiting game - Steve Arnold and Abu Ogogo are both rated 50/50 for Blues against Aldershot Town

Southend United midfielder Will Atkinson is pushing for his first start since returning to the Shrimpers.

Atkinson came off the bench against Halifax Town on Saturday.

And Blues boss Phil Brown is now considering calling on the 32-year-old against Aldershot Town on Tuesday night.

“There are one or two we’re looking at and I’m hoping Will Atkinson will be good enough to start,” said Brown.

“I just want the right attitude.

“If that sacrifices a bit of quality every so often I think most managers would go for that.

“I’ll be putting a team out that will have the right attitude to try and win the game against Aldershot.”

Goalkeeper Steve Arnold missed Saturday’s defeat with a dislocated finger but has since returned to training is rated 50/50 to return against Aldershot.

Midfielder Abu Ogogo, who has missed the last three games with a hamstring problem, is also rated 50/50.

Left-back Tom Clifford is still missing with an ankle injury.

Link to full story

Link

The Big Preview

Southend United vs Aldershot Town

Big Preview.jpg

Overview:

Following a lengthy journey to West Yorkshire at the weekend, Southend United are back in familiar surroundings tonight as they welcome Aldershot Town to Roots Hall.

Phil Brown’s side slumped to a 3-1 defeat on Saturday as they were put to the sword by the Shaymen. Luckily for Blues they have a short turnaround to make amends.

Southend have certainly had to adjust to life in the fifth tier so far, having not tasted victory since opening day, but Brown’s men will be eyeing up three points against the slow-starting Shots this evening.

The two sides last met in April 2013 in a League Two clash, Southend wheeling away 2-0 victors, courtesy of second-half goals from Barry Corr and Britt Assombalonga.

The Opposition:

Aldershot Town FC rose from the ashes of Aldershot Football Club, which went out of business in 1992.

They enjoyed successive promotions, propelling the club into the Football League in 2008; their EFL stay lasted for five years.

The Shots have remained in the National since their return in 2013, though they were agonisingly close to suffering relegation from the fifth tier in 2019, only saved by the administration of Gateshead.

Current manager Danny Searle joined the club at the conclusion of that season, replacing former Southend caretaker boss Gary Waddock at the helm.

Form:

Tuesday night’s visitors have suffered a very tough start to the 21/22 campaign.

Searle’s side have only experienced defeat so far this season, having played five league matches and falling short each time.

But the Shots’ opening fixtures have been tough.

They have already done battle with Boreham Wood, Chesterfield and Notts County, all sides sitting high in the early season standings.

They will be looking for their first points of the season as they make the trip to Roots Hall to face a Southend side who suffered their second defeat of the season on Saturday.

Brown’s side are winless in their last four matches, defeated by Stockport County and FC Halifax either side of their draws against Wealdstone and Wrexham.

From The Boss:

"The most important part of the training session was the talk", said Brown.

"It was all about what we wanted to achieve; if we want to go out there on a daily basis and just be mediocre or average, I don’t want players at this club who want just that. I was harsh with my words after the game on Saturday.

"I took the Echo in and I pinned it up on the noticeboard. My first question was, ‘do you want to play for the club?’ And, ‘do you want to play for me?’

"It was a unanimous yes. But it’s alright saying it, they’ve got to go and show that now. There needs to be a change in the thought process of how to win games of football at this level.

"You’ve got to be motivated and self-motivated at this level more than anywhere."

Blues’ Team News:

Steve Arnold missed out on Saturday due to a dislocated finger, and he is rated “50/50” for the clash at Roots Hall tonight. Phil Brown suggested that the shot-stopper may undergo an injection to return between the sticks against the Shots.

Abu Ogogo is also nearing a return to fitness, having been out for just over two weeks with a hamstring problem. The midfielder has also been rated with half a chance of featuring against Danny Searle’s side.

Matt Dennis, however, will remain out after pulling up with a hamstring issue in Saturday’s warm up.

He’s joined on the treatment table by Tom Clifford, who has yet to feature for the Blues this season.

Ref Watch:

Adrian Quelch will be taking charge of proceedings on the night.

It will be Quelch’s first visit to Roots Hall as referee.

In his two National League games so far this season, Quelch has issued five yellow cards and one red, coming on bank holiday Monday in August between Torquay and Woking.

Elsewhere in the National League:

Altrincham v King’s Lynn Town

Boreham Wood v FC Halifax

Chesterfield v Barnet

Dagenham and Redbridge v Weymouth

Eastleigh v Dover Athletic

Grimsby Town v Wrexham

Maidenhead United v Stockport County

Notts County v Wealdstone

Solihull Moors v Torquay United

Woking v Bromley

How to Follow:

Tickets are on sale for the game from the Blues Box Office online, on the phone (0344 477 0077) or in person. Tickets cost £20 for adults, £15 for concessions, £10 for juniors (9-16) and £5 for children (8 and under).

Blues fans unable to attend Roots Hall on Tuesday evening will still be able to follow all the live action by subscribing to Blues TV where you’ll get live match commentary from the BBC Essex team from all first-team matches this season.

Blues TV costs £4.49 per month or a one-off cost of £45 for the season, with your subscription not only giving you match commentary, but also exclusive access to extended match highlights, full pre-match press conferences, interviews, features and more.

Link to full story

Link

NOTE: The Paul Robinson West Stand Ticket Office is closed for tonight’s Vanarama National League fixture against Aldershot Town.

Come On You Blues!

Arnold returns in goal, Hobson partners Coulson, Atkinson alongside Dunne, and Egbri out wide.

Nathan Ferguson and Harry Phillips both fail to make the squad

Good that Arnold is back, not sure Egbri and Atkinson will make the midfield any better. Although no one can fault their work rate there is no end product by way of assists and goals from Egbri and Will Atkinson doesn't inspire you when it comes to goalscoring! Good luck to them though.

Well most people will be getting their preference for the 442. I still don’t understand how with Akinola on the payroll he is not walking into this side ahead of Egbri

Dont quite get Phils comments about the young men of Halifax " going physical " on us, which apparently we didnt expect, and so overwhelmed our gnarlers who were brought in to be a bit physical but must have ducked a load of challenges, So much so that we knocked up 7 bookings whilst being overwhelmed by their physicality , or was it just their pace

Anyway on wards and upwards, with maybe a formation change
as well as an attitude repaired

Well most people will be getting their preference for the 442. I still don’t understand how with Akinola on the payroll he is not walking into this side ahead of Egbri
Dont wind Riggers up he will be on here telling us Aki ate the Queens swans as well

Lets smash these two bob, pongo loving, weird feeling about the town centre, rubbish place to live mugs

Agree, I think akinola better player than egbri

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back