• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Official Match Thread Southend United v Blackpool

The Big Dady

¡Viva la Kevolución! ⭐️ ⭐️
Staff member
The Official Match Thread brought to you by ShrimperZone.com

So here we are the ninth League One home game of the 2018/19 season and Chris Powell’s first full season since his return and time in charge at the Mighty Shrimpers.

Our ninth match at home is against Blackpool.

SkyBet League One.jpg
SUFC.jpgVS.pngimage.png
It is now time for ALL of us to get behind him and the team whether you are at Roots Hall, listening on the radio, or watching on ifollow, and make that famous "Roots Hall Roar".

Chris Powell's 9th Southend United League One Home Team of the 2018/19 season

DsNZoTnWsAEnXTB.jpg

The Roots Hall pitch looks fantastic and is ready for action at 3.00pm Saturday 17th November against Blackpool, It looks like it is going to be a clear sunny autumn afternoon for the game.
DsNNbEpWwAAK9bS.jpg

The weather forecast for today at Roots Hall

SUFCvBlackpool Weather.png

Chris Powell’s current League home record

Won 9
Drawn 2
Lost 5
Goals scored 31
Goals conceded 17

League Positions Last Season

10th (2017/18 Season) League One Southend United
12th (2017/18 Season) League One Blackpool

League Positions Current Season

9th (2018/19 Season) Blackpool
13th (2018/19 Season) Southend United

Recent League Position Change

SUFCvBlackpool Positions.png

Previous Five Meetings

Blackpool 1-1 Southend United (L1 17/03/18 Att. 3,213)
Southend United 2-1 Blackpool (L1 30/09/17 Att. 6,688)
Blackpool 2-0 Southend United (L1 2/04/16 Att. 6,979)
Southend United 1-0 Blackpool (L1 21/11/15 Att. 6,290)
Blackpool 2-1 Southend United (CaC3 25/09/07 Att. 5,022)

Head to Head record

Southend United Wins: 10
Draws: 4
Blackpool Wins: 11

Wiggle it, Just a Little Bit!

Managers Pre-match Views

Blackpool

Terry McPhillips talks to Matt Scrafton of The Gazette

Blackpool squad looks forward to one final lengthy trip

Terry McPhillips is looking forward to finishing Blackpool’s hectic schedule with their final mammoth journey of the month at Southend United this weekend.

Following Saturday’s trip to Roots Hall, the Seasiders finish the month with a home game against Burton Albion and a trip to Doncaster Rovers, before their FA Cup second round clash at Solihull Moors.

This weekend’s game comes on the back of recent trips to Arsenal, Gillingham and Exeter City.

“It makes a little bit of difference,” McPhillips said of having no midweek games.

“You lose track but this will be the fourth really long trip away in two-and-a-half weeks or so.

“We’ll be glad when that’s all done but we plan to go down there and have a real good go.

“They’re an experienced team. It’s a tight ground where the fans are right on top of you. It’s usually a good atmosphere.

“I think we’re going to have to start well, like we did against Exeter. But I’m expecting a tough game.”

The Shrimpers come into the game on the back of a 3-0 Checkatrade Trophy win against Southampton U21s in midweek, although their recent league form has been mixed.

Their manager Chris Powell said: “Wednesday was a very positive result for but all we’re focusing on now is Blackpool because we want to be higher in the league than we currently are.

“Blackpool are a tricky side. I’ve watched them myself at Arsenal a few weeks back and we had them watched against Gillingham too.

“They’ve played in different ways and will pose a real threat. But we need to start winning a few more games at home and hopefully that can start against Blackpool.

“Terry has come in and done really, really well. He’s fashioned together a squad that has been very competitive.

“They have some good players and some have tricky, awkward ones too. They will be tough so we will have to settle ourselves down and do our best against them. Hopefully we can follow on from the Checkatrade result.

“We will keep on chipping away.”

Link to full story

https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/...s-forward-to-one-final-lengthy-trip-1-9447408

Southend United

Chis Powell talks to Chris Phillips at the ECHO ahead of the game with Blackpool

Southend United manager Chris Powell expects Blackpool to be ‘tricky’ and ‘awkward’ opponents at Roots Hall tomorrow.

The Seasiders sit ninth in the League One standings following a solid start to the season.

And Powell knows they will be tough to beat this weekend.

“Blackpool are a tricky side,” said the Blues boss.

“I watched them myself at Arsenal a few weeks back and we had them watched against Gillingham too when Damian Matthew went along.

“They’ve played in different ways and will pose a real threat.

“They’ve also kept things tight away from home so we know this will be another test.

“But we need to start winning a few more games at home and hopefully that can start against Blackpool.”

Blues, who are 13th in the table, have triumphed in just three of their eight League One matches at Roots Hall so far this season.

And Powell is keen to improve that record by building on the midweek win against Southampton’s under 21 team in the Checkatrade Trophy.

“A win of any kind is always good and we want to take momentum from that,” said Powell.

“We were able to rest a few of the senior players for the Southampton game so hopefully they will be fresh and it’s a big game for us.”

Mark Oxley, Jason Demetriou, Simon Cox and Timothee Dieng were all on the bench against Southampton while Sam Mantom and Michael Turner were left out of the squad altogether.

But Powell will continue to utilise his squad when possible.

“All the players know they’re going to get a chance because we have a lot of games coming up.

“Wednesday was a very positive result for but all we’re focusing on now is Blackpool because we want to be higher in the League than we currently are.”

Blues head into the clash with three defeats in their last four League games.

But he knows Blackpool boss Terry McPhillips will have his side well prepared.

“Terry has come in and done really, really well,” said Powell.

“He’s fashioned together a squad that has been very competitive.

“They have some good players and have some tricky, awkward ones too.

“They will be tough so we will have to settle ourselves down early on and do our best against them.

“It’s been up and down for us this season but we will keep on chipping away. We will be ready for Blackpool.”

Link to full story

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/17228724.southend-united-boss-chris-powell-expects-blackpool-to-be-tricky-and-awkward-opponents/

Chris Powell talks to the Southend United OS before the game

Powell: "We need to start winning a few more home games and hopefully we can do that against Blackpool."

Southend United manager Chris Powell says his side would like to be higher in the league and they way to get to it is by starting to win games at Roots Hall…

Powell’s squad comfortably beat Southampton U21’s in the Checkatrade Trophy on Wednesday night and Southend will be looking to use this to start a run of form in the league, but with a number of upcoming games the Blues boss will have to use all the resources at his disposal.

“I think that all the players know that somewhere along the line they will get an opportunity, especially with the number of games we’ve got coming up.

“The Checkatrade Trophy result on Wednesday was a real positive result for us, but we know where we’d like to be and that’s to be higher in the league, it’s a real tough league and we all know that.

“We have to have all our focus on that before we even look forward to other games like the cup.

“We’ve got a lot of games coming up Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday and then another Tuesday and now an extra game with the Checkatrade Trophy. Hopefully we will have another one in the FA Cup as well.

“It’s been tough for us in recent weeks with players coming in and out, having knocks and long term injures, but the players that are fit will know that they will be playing games and I have to keep them on their feet.

“I want the other players to push one or two fellow players so they know that they are not fixed in the side, so they know that someone else is always ready to come in and play, whether that’s a young player or not.”

Blues will be looking to get their first win in the league since the Walsall game but it will be tough against a strong Blackpool side.

“I was able to play some youth players on Wednesday which meant that I rested two or three senior players and those games help with our injury problems, but our focus is now on Blackpool.

“I have to get the balance right with all these upcoming games. I have to get the balance right with the starting XI and with the 18-man squad and hopefully, we can do our best to earn three points against Blackpool.

“They are a tricky side, I watched them myself when they went and played Arsenal in the Carabao Cup. We also had them watched against Gillingham and they played a completely different style to the other match.

“They’ve got a lot of different personnel in the squad and they pose a real threat in the league.

“Terry McPhillips side will prove to be a real tough test for us, but we need to start winning a few more home games and hopefully we can do that against Blackpool."

Link to full story

Wiggle it, Just a Little Bit!

Disappointed there’s no McLaughlin or Bwomono in the starting line-up.

Will Bunn be behind the forward again or out wide?

I wonder which of our twin CBs has been detailed to mark Gnanduillet? He has been a thorn in our side over the years, and not just with Blackpool.

Good afternoon. I am not in beautiful Altea today but looking out at the sunshine over Roots Hall ..from Southend Hospital.
Cheering the lads on from so close..yet so far.
C',Mon You Shrimpers.

Great, just one forward , who plays better behind a more forward striker. Robinson and Mc C on the bench, nothing like a good home attacking formation?

Just hut #post !!

Were clearly playing for a draw, in the hope that we are countering attacking in the hope we might get lucky & score.

Back