• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Southend United v Bolton Wanderers, Saturday 20th February, 15:00, FL2

Starting XI and Result

• Mark Oxley

Votes: 93 88.6%
  • Elvis Bwomono

Votes: 88 83.8%
  • John White

Votes: 91 86.7%
  • Shaun Hobson

Votes: 93 88.6%
  • Tom Clifford

Votes: 91 86.7%
  • Sam Hart

Votes: 11 10.5%
  • Jason Demetriou

Votes: 10 9.5%
  • Timothee Dieng

Votes: 80 76.2%
  • Alan McCormack

Votes: 17 16.2%
  • Nathan Ferguson

Votes: 83 79.0%
  • Kyle Taylor

Votes: 51 48.6%
  • Jacob Mellis

Votes: 21 20.0%
  • Ashley Nathaniel-George

Votes: 78 74.3%
  • Simeon Akinola

Votes: 90 85.7%
  • Emile Acquah

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • Reeco Hackett-Fairchild

Votes: 24 22.9%
  • Greg Halford

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Tyler Cordner

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Brandon Goodship

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Nile Ranger

Votes: 25 23.8%
  • Ricky Holmes

Votes: 57 54.3%
  • Louis Walsh

• Rob Howard

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Michael Klass

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Harry Seaden

• Win

Votes: 48 45.7%
  • Draw

Votes: 13 12.4%
  • Lose

Votes: 10 9.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
With less than 24 hours to go until the actual team news is announced, it is time to take stock of what armchair managers on the Zone would do tomorrow. After 74 of you have voted, in order of preference, the 11 most popular votes are for:

Oxley - 67
Hobson - 67
Akinola - 67
Clifford - 65
Bwomono - 64
White - 64
Ferguson - 61
Dieng - 58
Nathaniel-George - 57
Holmes - 38
K Taylor - 37

Interesting that Ferguson is now the top midfield choice and Mellis (13 votes) gets more than both Macca (9 votes) and Demi (10 votes).

Presumably this team would line up something like this:

Oxley

Bwomono White Hobson Clifford

Ferguson Dieng K Taylor

Holmes Akinola ANG​

No target man there, interestingly though Ranger (22 votes) was the 12th most popular vote (even though MM says he's not fit yet).

We'll wait and see what transpires.

Oh, and also the majority of you (48.6%) think we're going to win tomorrow.

Come on guys, remember that it's the hope that kills you.....

Looking forward to this one after our good recent performances and results. I’d like to see a positive lineup tomorrow, take the game to them after they played midweek.

4-2-3-1;

Oxley
Elvis - White - Hobson - Clifford
Dieng - Ferguson
RHF - K. Taylor - Holmes
Akinola

Going for a 2-1 home with with Akinola and Holmes getting the goals.

Ok lots to ponder on team selection with some now returning and others rested.
Mine would be :

Ox
Elvis , JW , Hobson , Clifford
Ferguson, Macca
ANG , Dieng , Akinola
Acquah

The only change from last week would by Macca for Taylor.
Taylor played well , is a good player and Macca won’t last but I would rather he started and got in their faces than saving him.
I get the point of protecting a lead but if we didn’t have one he’s not the player to bring on.

Acquah did well last week in occupying their CB’s and if he can do the same again it gives ANG and Akinola a bit more freedom.

Obviously Holmes is a very good player at this level but should he be dropped straight in ?
Is he match fit ?
I doubt it but would love to be proven wrong.

All about opinions though and we have choices now especially with Olayinka not too far away , plus JD , Ranger , Egbri.

Hoping for a clean sheet.

My "philosophy" is to get at least 1 point per game by keeping a tight ship at the back and a midfield to shield them ........... and then rush up the other end and get a penalty
[Not sure about that - Editor], free kick or just put the ball in the net from open play (it can happen).

Ok lots to ponder on team selection with some now returning and others rested.
Mine would be :

Ox
Elvis , JW , Hobson , Clifford
Ferguson, Macca
ANG , Dieng , Akinola
Acquah

The only change from last week would by Macca for Taylor.
Taylor played well , is a good player and Macca won’t last but I would rather he started and got in their faces than saving him.
I get the point of protecting a lead but if we didn’t have one he’s not the player to bring on.

Acquah did well last week in occupying their CB’s and if he can do the same again it gives ANG and Akinola a bit more freedom.

Obviously Holmes is a very good player at this level but should he be dropped straight in ?
Is he match fit ?
I doubt it but would love to be proven wrong.

All about opinions though and we have choices now especially with Olayinka not too far away , plus JD , Ranger , Egbri.

Not sure where the goals will come from with that team. If fit got to play at least one of Holmes, Mellis, Ranger otherwise tnothing will change and we'll remain trying to sneak a 1 goal win

Not sure where the goals will come from with that team. If fit got to play at least one of Holmes, Mellis, Ranger otherwise tnothing will change and we'll remain trying to sneak a 1 goal win

According to MM Ranger is still suffering from a calf injury and is some way away, Mellis is recovering from illness but is available. Only Holmes seems really ready to play. Could be a smokescreen of course....

I suspect we will start with a rested and unchanged XI.
With a strong bench I am not overly concerned by that so long as we can stay in the game.

Macca has to start. They have a lot of threat going forward. And as we all know if we concede, we lose. Would sit K Taylor out and have a midfield three of Dieng, Macca and Fergie. Holmes and ANG wide with Akinola up top. Options off the bench for the second half.

We have come this far by being harder to beat and that needs to continue

It wouldn't be a huge surprise if MM sprung a surprise just before the game with Ranger involved in someway (after all if Bolton knew he was playing it might affect something they do). But I guess we assume he is not involved.

Then we have the suggested formation as last time out. As before and supported by all the history this is likely to guarantee the score starts with Southend 0, or Southend 1 (you could argue it statistically should be the latter given we didn't score last week). I do think Bolton are likely to score and so regrettably a draw might be best case.

We could say well we are unlikely to score but lets see if we can stop Bolton scoring until the last 15 or something. But I fear that negative approach is doomed as likely Bolton will score and there are few teams less likely to come from behind and win than us currently...again regrettably.

So assuming no Ranger I would go

Oxley
Elvis White Hobson Clifford
Ferguson Taylor
ANG Dieng Holmes
Akinola

OR a bit more attack minded still

Oxley
Elvis White Hobson Clifford
Ferguson Dieng
ANG Holmes Hackett
Akinola

Macca has to start. They have a lot of threat going forward. And as we all know if we concede, we lose. Would sit K Taylor out and have a midfield three of Dieng, Macca and Fergie. Holmes and ANG wide with Akinola up top. Options off the bench for the second half.

We have come this far by being harder to beat and that needs to continue
I think we will be 4231 rather than 433 (I hope the latter does not reappear any time soon)
But there is competition now- there is a temptation to put Macca in instead of may Dieng or Taylor I agree. And of course there in Demi in the wings too.

Fan of Macca, and we needed his bollock n bite when we were lacking it most, but I think Ferguson comes out on top when it comes to that position.

Fan of Macca, and we needed his bollock n bite when we were lacking it most, but I think Ferguson comes out on top when it comes to that position.
We play two defensive midfielders in the preferred 4231 so Macca and Ferguson would be a pretty solid option.

Of course I'm looking forward to it but it's getting me stressed long before the KO. Being a natural pessimist (probably due to a lifetime following the Blues!), I'm worried about this one. How many goals do you need to be in front of a team that is capable of scoring three in the last ten minutes? (OK bright sparks.............four:Smile:) It is also a new developing situation for MM. For the most part he's generally been given unquesioning support due to our problems with recruitment and injuries. Now he's like a kid let loose in a sweet shop with suddenly multiple choices in front of him. He can be expected to face stronger criticism for any mistakes he makes...............I hope he makes good choices.

I would be very surprised if Macca is anywhere near fit to start. I suspect his services might be called on to shore up a point in the mid second half. 15 mins for Mellis and 20 for Holmes would be good
May need the extra experience of Demi to get stuck in a bit. Did Taylor come off last time out for tiredness or not getting stuck in much

I would be very surprised if Macca is anywhere near fit to start. I suspect his services might be called on to shore up a point in the mid second half. 15 mins for Mellis and 20 for Holmes would be good
May need the extra experience of Demi to get stuck in a bit. Did Taylor come off last time out for tiredness or not getting stuck in much

Ithought he took a knock, just before, but it was a very heavy pitch, and he was tiring . That was my view anyway.

I'm not overly fussed about Bolton's goal scoring feats. It's all well and good thinking they are nailed on to score, but to do that they have to get through our defence, and the way we have been playing that is not at all easy. Cambridge and Newport though we were easy meat and learnt the hard way that we are not at the moment. The biggest problem for me is that we are getting spoiled for choice over our midfield players and the last thing I would want is to disturb the collective confidence that currently runs through the team. Anyway, tomorrow is probably the first home game this season that I'm really looking forward to, I'm not sure why, I just am. Provided the lads give 100% for the full 90+ minutes and throw in a bit of entertainment as well then that will do for me.................oh, and three points to us with the Northern monkeys going home totally miserable after getting a stuffing. COYB

Haha that’s a perfect description of what Macca gives us. And what we were missing from the squad before we were able to bring players in. Happen to agree Ferguson starts now with Macca in reserve to see games out with his experience.

Back