• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Southend United v Bolton Wanderers, Saturday 20th February, 15:00, FL2

Starting XI and Result

• Mark Oxley

Votes: 93 88.6%
  • Elvis Bwomono

Votes: 88 83.8%
  • John White

Votes: 91 86.7%
  • Shaun Hobson

Votes: 93 88.6%
  • Tom Clifford

Votes: 91 86.7%
  • Sam Hart

Votes: 11 10.5%
  • Jason Demetriou

Votes: 10 9.5%
  • Timothee Dieng

Votes: 80 76.2%
  • Alan McCormack

Votes: 17 16.2%
  • Nathan Ferguson

Votes: 83 79.0%
  • Kyle Taylor

Votes: 51 48.6%
  • Jacob Mellis

Votes: 21 20.0%
  • Ashley Nathaniel-George

Votes: 78 74.3%
  • Simeon Akinola

Votes: 90 85.7%
  • Emile Acquah

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • Reeco Hackett-Fairchild

Votes: 24 22.9%
  • Greg Halford

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Tyler Cordner

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Brandon Goodship

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Nile Ranger

Votes: 25 23.8%
  • Ricky Holmes

Votes: 57 54.3%
  • Louis Walsh

• Rob Howard

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Michael Klass

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Harry Seaden

• Win

Votes: 48 45.7%
  • Draw

Votes: 13 12.4%
  • Lose

Votes: 10 9.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It is strangely baffling our attachment with Ranger. I’m amazed he’s back in the fold, let alone dye a starting berth today. In the 2 years since he left Southend he’s been in Sunday league football and at Spalding United. As a ‘striker’ he’s never been prolific. He scored twice in 51 games for Newcastle. Less than 1 in 4 for us when playing against lower league opposition. Usually when released they fall into obscurity, which he has done, yet strangely he’s back at Southend. Bizarre to say the least. Maybe I’m missing something. Although I doubt it’s his character that we want around the place.

If you ever saw him play, that would probably answer your question. Most of the times I saw him, he was a cut above the rest, and that was league one. Yes he will be rusty, but there is a great player in there at this level and given our league position and unattractive proposition to any striker out there with any kind of scoring record, he is the best we can hope for. He is also on a monthly rolling contract, so we're pretty much free to send him on his way any time we feel like he isn't toeing the line.

Just seen Grimsbys game off. A great opportunity to put some pressure on. Wouldn’t me surprised if no Ranger at all but possibly Homes from the off. UTB

Fine weather in Leigh on Sea today and I’m going to pay for the game. Have people been finding phone or laptop works better and how’s the ifollow experience been generally in recent weeks? Cheers.

Working fine on my laptop, desktop and phone. Even works on my ancient plasma tv with Fire stick. I've watched every match so far. Lots of problems initially but fine now provided you can put up with that bloomin' Scouser telling me why I love the game.

Can’t help feeling a bit pessimistic about this one (as usual ?) given Bolton are scoring goals & winning games and I can’t remember us ever beating them. They’ll get at least one, we might be due a rare goal, so personally if offered I’d take a 1-1 draw right now.

Not an easy game we should be set up as hard to beat.Any opportunity that come our way we must take.Would be delighted with a win satisfied with a draw cant afford a lost but it wont be the end of the world.Keep pressure on the clubs around us is the key

Tried to pick a side got as far as the midfield and gave it away :Smile:, just hope we can get back to winning ways again and make RH the fortress it should be .

While I am very much looking forward to this game I am also, at the same time, apprehensive. My reason for looking forward to the game is I am anticipating seeing Ricky Holmes in a Southend shirt. I think (and very much hope) he will be in the starting line up.
I am apprehensive as Bolton are bound to be well organised and difficult to play against.
We began January well and then fell away badly, and, we just cannot afford to repeat this in February.
I was heartened by the signings of Ferguson and Mellis as I was of the firm belief that our priority was the strengthening of our midfield. The addition of these two as well as Macca coming back from injury and the imminent return of JO gives us multiple options in the middle of the field.
I would be very much against starting with Macca as it seems he can barely play three consecutive games without picking up an injury (not just with us but during the last six seasons). Starting with him is risking losing him for a protracted period so I would like to see him used off the bench. Taking off KT for him after 60 to 70 mins would seem to be the best way of managing that situation.
Now our midfield looks respectable I fret a little about the defence as both TC and Elvis do not always defend well while JW gives me fits when the opposition have attacking players with pace. Hopefully my fears will be unfounded and we can win today.
1-0 will do me although I do think it is about time someone scored twice in one game for us.
Players in my opinion likeliest to score: SimAk, Dieng and ANG. If we are to believe in fairy tales then maybe Ricky can score twice!
Would love a win but would happily settle for a point as I do not think we can afford to lose.

Can’t help feeling a bit pessimistic about this one (as usual ?) given Bolton are scoring goals & winning games and I can’t remember us ever beating them. They’ll get at least one, we might be due a rare goal, so personally if offered I’d take a 1-1 draw right now.

You weren’t there when we smashed them 5-2 at the Hall then! What a day that was. A repeat is happening today:Thumbs up:

A day will come where this new team clicks and we absolutely batter the opposition. Not sure if it's today though... will take a scrappy 1-0 win or a draw at worst

Didnt we beat them when Kyps turned into messi and scored two goals?

You weren’t there when we smashed them 5-2 at the Hall then! What a day that was. A repeat is happening today:Thumbs up:

Gutted to miss that one. It was my sister in laws wedding and I was stuck in deepest and darkest Shepton Mallett listing to the car radio in between trying to be interested proceedings

Up the blues. 3-2 win, Holmes, Akinola, and Hobson for the shrimpers.

Molesely to make a strangling gesture to the bolton gaffer instead of shaking hands at the end.

Back