• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Official Match Thread Southend United v Bolton Wanderers

Because he made a pointless sub. No need to take Clifford off, and if I recall correctly, the original cross came from the left which resulted in the goal.
I agree that the subs were slightly odd and probably uncalled for, but you can’t deny that we would’ve got a deserved 0-0 if it weren’t for MO

I'm not a Oxley fan but i seriously believe he felt the ball was out of play and was like knocking the ball off the top of the net for a goal kick although still in play.
There was alot of players claiming it had gone out and i thought it had!
Lesson for the youngsters i guess play to the whistle!
Pray tell when whistles are blown for goal kicks?

Having looked at it several times it's clear that the ball has looped down from height and hit the front of the bar to bounce back into play. Oxley and most everyone else had assumed it would land on top of the net. Only Miller was awake and scored the goal. Difficult to blame Oxley really, just a freak circumstance. The sort of thing that doesn't happen in our favour, ever.

At least Barrow lost too.

The best thing for us to do is say hard luck, move on. Get Holmes starting for RHF but otherwise stick with the same eleven at Forest Green on Wednesday.

Even if it did hit the bar, he had so much time to get under it and the right position to cut out the danger.

I'm not a Oxley fan but i seriously believe he felt the ball was out of play and was like knocking the ball off the top of the net for a goal kick although still in play.
There was alot of players claiming it had gone out and i thought it had!
Lesson for the youngsters i guess play to the whistle!
I like your last four words, the rest suggest words like 'straws' and 'clutching' although the latter might not be in Ox's vocab.

I agree that the subs were slightly odd and probably uncalled for, but you can’t deny that we would’ve got a deserved 0-0 if it weren’t for MO

Yeah, I agree, but the other question I have to MM is why mess with the starting 11. Why not start with the same side as Cambridge - did he pick the side based on the oppositionl; if so, in my opinion that is poor management

Forget individual errors out there, Molesley lost that from the kick off. One up front is not effective in League Two and will result in hardly any shots, the stats dont lie because mostly the ball comes flying back at us. You cant expect the team to keep winning the ball back and supporting the front one quickly enough to be in a position to shoot.
Yes we may be stifling teams and be a bit unlucky with penalty shouts but with limited movement it counts for nothing.
What you end up with is midfielders joining the attack, they dont understand the movement required as a striker, understandable really.
Our whole attacking ideals are equivalent to square pegs in round holes.

You mean the ‘one up top’ that Bolton played ?

Yeah, I agree, but the other question I have to MM is why mess with the starting 11. Why not start with the same side as Cambridge - did he pick the side based on the oppositionl; if so, in my opinion that is poor management
Absolutely yes. He should’ve started with the same side. I think Aquah was quite hard done by today with not starting

Having looked at it several times it's clear that the ball has looped down from height and hit the front of the bar to bounce back into play. Oxley and most everyone else had assumed it would land on top of the net. Only Miller was awake and scored the goal. Difficult to blame Oxley really, just a freak circumstance. The sort of thing that doesn't happen in our favour, ever.

At least Barrow lost too.

The best thing for us to do is say hard luck, move on. Get Holmes starting for RHF but otherwise stick with the same eleven at Forest Green on Wednesday.

I think Oxley has played well recently, but there is absolutely no excuse whatsoever for not catching that or tipping that over the bar. You're taught to do that as a goalkeeper at 8 years old. Absolute basics.

Haha no just think the lad deserves a shot. We should’ve got a point today but Mark Oxley cost is that. End of.
It's game of opinions but I haven't seen much to suggest a keeper switch would solve our issues

Fair enough, who plays on the right? Demi? Dieng?
The problem is neither can do a job there, and MM probably recognises it. Most think Ferguson was OK in the centre, so adding a second striker lopsides the team.
That said, had Aquah a bundle of goals under his belt he would be playing instead of Akinola.

Last edited:
Whatever the circumstances leading up to the goal, Ox should have dealt with it, he was right under the ball, he saw it all the way and he should have made sure and put it over the bar. In the pantheon of Blues keepers he doesn`t rate highly for me, far too inconsistent. Before that disaster I thought a point was in the bag, never optimistic about 3pts though, our approach play was pretty good but so powder puff near goal, no one wants to take a shot on and no one to bully defenders into making mistakes. For all the laudable endeavour I am not optimistic for our survival.

Dieng, Ferguson and Demi, three out of six players in front of defence who are holding players.
ANG and Fairchild a good distance from a striking position and not close enough to pick off a mistake from their defenders, most of the game.
Our one striker having to drop off deeper to get the ball.
This is not how to set up a team that desperately needs three points, we are creating very little and ALWAYS run the risk of losing a game because of a defensive individual error.
We are going nowhere fast, lucklily nor are Barrow. The squad is good enough to start taking chances at home, i didnt think much of Bolton at all, they came for a point and got very lucky.
Great to see some wing play from Holmes, if we get around the back of teams we have a chance of scoring.

Back