• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Southend United v Boreham Wood, Saturday 6th August, 15:00ko, NL

Starting XI and Result

• Steve Arnold

Votes: 138 90.8%
  • Gus Scott-Morriss

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • Harry Taylor

Votes: 109 71.7%
  • Jaden Crowhust

Votes: 16 10.5%
  • Shaun Hobson

Votes: 121 79.6%
  • Ollie Kensdale

Votes: 137 90.1%
  • Louis Lomas

Votes: 38 25.0%
  • Nathan Ralph

Votes: 135 88.8%
  • Tom Clifford

Votes: 97 63.8%
  • Cavaghn Miley

Votes: 130 85.5%
  • Noor Husin

Votes: 95 62.5%
  • Wes Fonguck

Votes: 56 36.8%
  • Dan Mooney

Votes: 135 88.8%
  • Jack Bridge

Votes: 41 27.0%
  • Callum Powell

Votes: 114 75.0%
  • Chris Wreh

Votes: 54 35.5%
  • Collin Andeng-Ndi

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Tommy Davis

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Ollie Coker

• Jon Benton

• Louie Arrowsmith

• Luke Reeve

• Jake Hyde

Votes: 94 61.8%

• Win

Votes: 68 44.7%
  • Draw

Votes: 32 21.1%
  • Lose

Votes: 14 9.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
First x rated assault on a Southend player timed at 4 minutes. Ref gives Boreham Wood player a stern warning. Boreham Wood attack relentlessly down our weak left flank which inspires Clifford to find his form again. He curls the winner from a free kick with 5 minutes to go.

Arnold
Crowhust Hobson Kensdale Ralph Clifford
Miley Husin
Mooney Hyde Powell

SUBS: Wreh, Fonguck, Bridge, Lomas, Taylor​

For reference of how much better that side looks 12 months on, this is how we lined up away at Kings Lynn 21st August 2021:

Arnold
Demetriou White Coulson Ralph Bridge
Ferguson Ogogo Phillips
Murphy Dalby

SUBS: Hobson, Egbri, Seaden, Kargbo, Dennis.
This seasons side beats last seasons side comfortably, and that's whilst still missing Murphy and Cardwell through injury.

Midfield has vastly improved with the Afghan Prince, Miley, Wes and Taylor to pick from. Defence will certainly be quicker, with the only question mark being the attack. However, Mooney is a definite upgrade. We are looking stronger IMHO.

Arnold

Hobson
Kensdale
Ralph

Taylor
Miley
Husin
Clifford

Mooney
Hyde
Bridge

Ndi, Lomas, Fonguck, Powell, Wreh
That would be my starting 11 too.

I’ll be sitting by the pool in Turkey for this one I’m afraid.

Arnold

Hobson
Kensdale
Ralph

Taylor
Miley
Husin
Clifford

Mooney
Hyde
Bridge

Ndi, Lomas, Fonguck, Powell, Wreh
Just can't see Powell being dropped to the bench after the pre-season he has had- top scorer, stand out threat, brilliant well done have a seat...on the bench. Not the KM way.

Midfield has vastly improved with the Afghan Prince, Miley, Wes and Taylor to pick from. Defence will certainly be quicker, with the only question mark being the attack. However, Mooney is a definite upgrade. We are looking stronger IMHO.

Midfield options certain have improved.

Last year Maher abandoned the 3-4-3 as he presumably didn’t think the midfield was good enough to keep it going. Obviously we’re now stronger having thankfully ditched Atkinson but I’m not sure Miley is going to be better than Neal, who was excellent for us.

It will be something to watch out for how often he feels the need to switch to 3 in central midfield - and when he does so what happens to Mooney. I feel like I have a good handle on what plan A is, not so much plan B.

4409 home bums on seats now, so creeping up slowly. With 4 buying days still to go I reckon 5k is probably achievable, and that's without the Boreham Wood hordes that will invade the North Stand. Doubt they will try and take the West now Rose is in charge.

View attachment 21348
Don’t forget, it’s always the extra 500-1k will decide in the last minutes and pay on the day.

Last year Maher abandoned the 3-4-3 as he presumably didn’t think the midfield was good enough to keep it going. Obviously we’re now stronger having thankfully ditched Atkinson but I’m not sure Miley is going to be better than Neal, who was excellent for us.

It will be something to watch out for how often he feels the need to switch to 3 in central midfield - and when he does so what happens to Mooney. I feel like I have a good handle on what plan A is, not so much plan B.
I agree, but I think it’s a bit harsh to speak in such terms about Will Atkinson.

He’s a good honest pro that gave of his best, and had some really good games for us last season. Yes, his best days were (and are) behind him but our options were few and not only did he absolutely try his hardest, he also succeeded on the pitch many times last season. Quite a lot of games he was found wanting compared to the opposition, it’s true.

I’ll save my harsh words though for those that didn’t give of their best in a blue shirt.

Wow, Yorkshire mate, incredibly harsh on Atko. He was brilliant for us, Kev and Darren loved him, they re upped his contract till end of the season.

Him and Harrison Neal got on like a house on fire also, Will was always instructing him in training. I bet Neal doesn't look half as effective without Atkinson next to him in the middle, will take him time to adapt.

Just can't see Powell being dropped to the bench after the pre-season he has had- top scorer, stand out threat, brilliant well done have a seat...on the bench. Not the KM way.
I think Powell will divide opinion this season. There is no doubt that he has sharpened up on the goal scoring but there are times when he makes the wrong decisions in the final third. That's not to say that he's not a danger to defences, he is, but it also depends on the blend of the team and certainly against Palace I though he was not anywhere near as effective as I hoped he would be. As I say, it will be about opinions..............Maher's!!

That's the exciting thing compared to last year. Play Bridge and you have Powell to come off the bench, and vice versa. Play Husin and you can bring on Fonguck. Play Hyde and you have Weah Werh Wreh. Happy days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back