• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Official Match Thread Southend United v Burton Albion

The Big Dady

¡Viva la Kevolución! ⭐️ ⭐️
Staff member
The Official Match Thread brought to you by ShrimperZone.com

So here we are the twenty second League One home game of the 2018/19 season and Kevin Bond’s second home game in charge as manager until the end of the season of the Mighty Shrimpers.

Our twenty second match at home is against Burton Albion

SkyBet League One.jpg
SUFC.jpgVS.pngimage.png

It is now time for ALL of us to get behind Kevin and the team whether you are at Roots Hall, listening on the radio, or listening/watching on ifollow, and make that famous "Roots Hall Roar".

Kevin Bond’s 2nd Southend United League One Home Team of the 2018/19 season

D4wJc8jW4AAR-11.jpg

The Roots Hall pitch looks fantastic and is ready for action at 1.00 pm Monday 22nd April 2019 against Burton Albion, it looks like we are going to have a nice hot sunny Easter afternoon for the game with a gentle breeze, make sure you take sun blocker, your sun glasses, and sun hat.

D4v73emW4AEBeeR.jpg

D4v73enX4AIOfuo.jpg

The weather forecast for today at Roots Hall

SUFC v Burton Albion Weather.jpg

Kevin Bond’s current League home record

Won 0
Drawn 0
Lost 1
Goals scored 0
Goals conceded 2

League Positions Last Season

23rd (2017/18 Season) Championship Burton Albion (Relegated)
10th (2017/18 Season) League One Southend United

League Positions Current Season

9th (2017/18 Season) League One Burton Albion
22nd (2018/19 Season) League One Southend United

Recent League Position Change

SUFC v Burton Albion Positions.jpg

Previous Five Meetings

Burton Albion 1-2 Southend United (L1 02/10/18 Att. 2,149)
Southend United 3-1 Burton Albion (L1 20/02/16 Att.6,503)
Burton Albion 1-0 Southend United (L1 3/10/15 Att. 2,948)
Burton Albion 2-1 Southend United (L2 18/03/15 Att. 2,669)
Southend United 0-0 Burton Albion (L2 19/12/14 Att. 5,266)

Head to Head record

Southend United Wins: 5
Draws: 3
Burton Albion Wins: 7

Start of a New Era

hqdefault - Copy.jpg

Kevin Bond has a licence to Win!

Managers Pre-match Views

Burton Albion

Nigel Clough talks to Burton Albion talks to Burton Albion OS before travelling to Roots Hall

Nigel Clough hopes the hurt of the cruel defeat at home to Portsmouth will spur his team on at Southend tomorrow.

The Brewers lost 2-1 on Friday to a late winner from the visitors that should have been ruled out by the officials.

Southend are in deep relegation trouble and need desperately to pick up points if they are to avoid the drop.

The Brewers manager said: “They will be fighting and scrapping for their lives. Every team we are up against at the moment has something to play for which is good as they get a bit nervy and edgy at times.

“Southend will have three games which will all be cup finals and it will be a warm day down there with only a couple of days in between to rest.

“I hope our lads want to take the injustice of the result against Portsmouth out on Southend.

“We have been playing well all season and no team in the league will be too keen on playing us at the moment.”

Clough will be without Brad Collins and possibly Jake Buxton after both players missed yesterday’s game.

“We are not sure about Jake, maybe more towards Luton,” said Clough. “Brad felt his groin yesterday and I wouldn’t think he will be good for Monday. Whether he’s fit for the last game we will have to wait and see.”

Scott Fraser felt his calf against Portsmouth, Stephen Quinn and Marcus Harness were also struggling late on and all three were substituted.

Clough will have to see who is fit enough to play tomorrow.

He said: “The two centre halves should be OK, but the full backs are being asked to get forward and they will be assessed as keenly as anybody. We will assess everyone today and see how they are.”

Link to full story
https://www.burtonalbionfc.co.uk/news/2019/april/2004-southend/

Southend United

Kevin Bond talks to the OS ahead of the game with Burton Albion

“I’ve got nothing but praise for the lads really because I thought they put in a terrific performance against Walsall. The only thing I think we may be guilty of is we had a couple of chances to wrap the game up, but I don’t think that excuses the referee for making the mistakes that he’s made.

“I couldn’t complain about the attitude and the applications of the players, I thought they were first class. We’ve got to do the same again [against Burton], the same sort of performance on Monday; three games to go we’ve got to keep fighting.”

Stephen Humphrys has been described as having a “slim chance” of returning against Burton Albion after the Blues striker wasn't risked against Walsall with a hamstring problem.

Kevin Bond will hope Simon Cox and Harry Bunn will have recovered sufficiently from Friday, but Bond does have the option of playing Charlie Kelman or Emile Acquah up front.

Sam Hart was taken off in the second-half against the Saddlers and will need to be assessed; while Luke Hyam’s early return from a hamstring problem will give Blues a boost in midfield.

Burton have a number of injury concerns after Scott Fraser, Stephen Quinn and Marcus Harness were all forced off in their Good Friday defeat against Portsmouth.

A certain absentee though for the Brewers will be Brad Collins who has a groin issue, whilst Jake Buxton is also facing a race to be fit having missed Friday’s game through injury.

Link to full story
https://www.southendunited.co.uk/news/2019/april/burton-big-preview/

Kevin Bond has a licence to Win!

Would have gone with the same line-up myself. Wasn't convinced when I saw it on Friday but they were superb and deserved the win.

My only concern is that there won't be much in the tank late on. Dieng replacing Lennon the bench may be taking that into account.

Also interesting that clearly no-one, including the referee himself, has a clue whether John White was/should have been sent off or not on Friday.

Whilst the defence at the back worked well Friday I'm a bit worried that the older centre backs won't be fit enough to play at 100% twice in 3 days, hopefully I'm wrong.

Brave decision to play Turner so soon after the Walsall game. Still no sign of Wabo......

Confused ….so what did ( or clearly didn't), happen to John White at Walsall...………...or, have the F.A swept it under the carpet...along with the ref ??

Back