• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Southend United v Cambridge United, Tuesday 19th January, 19:00, FL2

Starting XI and Result

• Mark Oxley

Votes: 62 88.6%
  • Elvis Bwomono

Votes: 60 85.7%
  • John White

Votes: 59 84.3%
  • Shaun Hobson

Votes: 62 88.6%
  • Sam Hart

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Tom Clifford

Votes: 23 32.9%
  • Jason Demetriou

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Timothee Dieng

• Alan McCormack (or Arthur, or Alfie.....!)

Votes: 41 58.6%
  • James Olayinka

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Kyle Taylor

Votes: 46 65.7%
  • Greg Halford

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • Ashley Nathaniel-George

Votes: 49 70.0%
  • Reeco Hackett-Fairchild

• Simeon Akinola

Votes: 58 82.9%
  • Michael Klass

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • Louis Walsh

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Emile Acquah

• Richard Taylor

• Harry Phillips

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Harry Kyprianou

• Terrell Egbri

• Harry Seaden

• Win

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Draw

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Lose

Votes: 10 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Shrimpergonzo

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver⭐
Staff member
Screenshot 2021-01-18 at 11.20.45.png

After the long trip up to Grimsby on Saturday, we now have a run of three consecutive home games on the hallowed turf. It's hard to conceive that, even when it was at its worst a couple of years, the pitch at Roots could be in a worse condition than the ploughed field of Blundell Park. One would hope that the playing surface would benefit some of the skilful ball players that we now have in our ranks - of course it could also suit the visitors who are occupying the last of the automatic promotion places and whose form over their last six matches is only slightly worse than ours (theirs is W3 D1 L2, ours is W3 D2 L1).

This is probably likely to be the toughest of this run of three home games - especially following immediately after a long journey and energy sapping pitch in North East Lincolnshire, and to be honest I'd probably take a draw in this one.

With regards to team news, Olayinka's injury looked bad enough to at least keep him out tomorrow night. It sounds like Greg Halford, who returns from suspension, is likely to sign a contract until the end of the season. Therefore I'm expecting a similar squad, if not starting XI to Saturday. So who would you pick, and what do you think the score will be?

Sad to miss Olly, would put Kyle in if fit , or at least 30 minutes? Hope to see Egbri back on the bench

Back 5 pick themselves, but not expecting Oly to be fit enough and maybe Taylor won’t be fit enough to start either. Just hoping Macca can start after playing 60 odd minutes on Saturday. Think it’ll be:

Oxley
Elvis, White, Hobson, Hart
RHF, Demetriou, Macca, Dieng, ANG
Akinola​

Olly would expect to be missing,Would be interested to learn who else is struggling,noticed that Dieng and Akinola were stuggling at the end of the Grimsby game fingers crossed nothing too serious.We need as strong as team as possible.

Back 5 pick themselves, but not expecting Oly to be fit enough and maybe Taylor won’t be fit enough to start either. Just hoping Macca can start after playing 60 odd minutes on Saturday. Think it’ll be:

Oxley
Akinola​
Why won't Taylor be fit enough to start? Been out 5 weeks now is young and fit? Why do u think hes not ready to start?

I've gone with: Oxley, Elvis, White, Hobson, Clifford, ANG, McCormack, Dieng, Hart, Reeco and Akinola. Think we've missed Clifford's crosses and delivery from set pieces & would also like to see Reeco partner Sim upfront.

Oxley
Akinola​
Yep, this starting 11 for me too. Probably see Taylor(Kyle) replacing Macca when the legs begin to weaken, ut other than that other subs will be down to injuries or if we need a boost elsewhere on the pitch.

A whim of fantasy now, there were moments in the Grimsby game when watching RHF running with the ball reminded me briefly of Stanley in full flow. (I did say it was a whim of fancy), but if he reminds me again against CU I won't be unhappy.

I can't see Demi starting after that really heavy pitch on Saturday. Macca in for him I reckon.

Taylor in for Olayinka.

Really need to keep picking up points whoever plays. I think it will take upwards of 50 points to survive this season. Just been looking at the tables (shoud be working but hey ho..), L2 is so tight this year with no one running away at the top or cut adrfit at the bottom. Only 19 points beween top and bottom. Compare that to 26 point in L1, 35 points in the Champ, and 32 points in the Prem. In fact L2 is the only division we'd be bottom in with 20 points from 22 games. we wouldn't even be in the relegation zone in the Championship, we'd be 5th bottom with a game in hand! (Those were the days..:Sorry:)

Why won't Taylor be fit enough to start? Been out 5 weeks now is young and fit? Why do u think hes not ready to start?
dear shrimpet, he's not anywhere near training fit yet alone match fit! He wants to play and we'd all like him to play but it will do more harm than good playing 90 mins.
can't see him doing 30 if honest, but who knows !!
To bluntly answer your question , he's not young and fit currently for league 2

dear shrimpet, he's not anywhere near training fit yet alone match fit! He wants to play and we'd all like him to play but it will do more harm than good playing 90 mins.
can't see him doing 30 if honest, but who knows !!
To bluntly answer your question , he's not young and fit currently for league 2
:Fishing:

Really need to keep picking up points whoever plays. I think it will take upwards of 50 points to survive this season. Just been looking at the tables (shoud be working but hey ho..), L2 is so tight this year with no one running away at the top or cut adrfit at the bottom. Only 19 points beween top and bottom. Compare that to 26 point in L1, 35 points in the Champ, and 32 points in the Prem. In fact L2 is the only division we'd be bottom in with 20 points from 22 games. we wouldn't even be in the relegation zone in the Championship, we'd be 5th bottom with a game in hand! (Those were the days..:Sorry:)

play offs here we come ..

I suspect that this game may be a lot more difficult than people are thinking.

We‘ve played only one team in the top ten in the last 9 games and hardly had a kick at Orient, This will be a real test of how far we have come or how much we still need to improve.

Personally I would be happy with a point. If we concede 2 goals I can’t see us scoring 3. I reckon 1-1 with us scoring first then having to defend manfully.

I suspect that this game may be a lot more difficult than people are thinking.

We‘ve played only one team in the top ten in the last 9 games and hardly had a kick at Orient, This will be a real test of how far we have come or how much we still need to improve.

Personally I would be happy with a point. If we concede 2 goals I can’t see us scoring 3. I reckon 1-1 with us scoring first then having to defend manfully.
Completely agree with this...if we win it's going to be 1-0 with an earlyish goal from 20 mins s of good footy and then an all hands on deck defensive block out. A 2-0 or 2-1 win is the stuff of dreams unless we get a very friendly ref . I would love to wrong and watch a 3-0 pounding

Back