• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Official Match Thread Southend United v Chertsey Town FA Cup (4th Qualifying Round)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Big Dady

¡Viva la Kevolución! ⭐️ ⭐️
Staff member
The Official Match Thread brought to you by ShrimperZone.com

So here we are the 4th Qualifying Round of the FA Cup of the 2021/22 season and our
player and caretaker manager Jason Demetriou's first game in charge of the Mighty Shrimpers.

Our 1st Qualifying 4th Round FA Cup match at home is against Chertsey Town.

FA Cup.png
SUFC.jpgVS.png Chertsey Town.png
It is now time for ALL of us to get behind Jason Demetriou our caretaker manager and the team whether you are at Roots Hall, listening on the radio, or listening on ifollow, and make that famous "Roots Hall Roar".

Southend United’s 4th Qualifying Round FA Cup Home Team of the 2021/22 season

FB0oxntXsAE5hdG.jpg

The Roots Hall pitch looks fantastic and is ready for the first FA Cup action since 2020, the match kicks off at 3.00pm Saturday 16th October is against Chertsey Town, It looks like it is going to be a nice afternoon with sunny intervals with a gentle breeze for the game.

Roots Hall 1.jpg

Roots Hall 2.jpg

The weather forecast for today at Roots Hall
SUFC v Chertsey Town Weather.jpg
League Positions Last Season

23rd (2020/21 Season) League Two (4th Tier) Southend United (Relegated)
6th (2020/21 Season) Isthmian League South Central Division (8th Tier) Chertsey Town

League Positions Current Season

20th (2021/22 Season) National League (5th Tier) Southend United
7th (2021/22 Season) Isthmian League South Central Division (8th Tier) Chertsey Town

Previous Meetings

We have never played Chertsey Town before in our 115 year history

Head to Head record

Southend United Wins: 0
Draws: 0
Chertsey Town Wins: 0

Come On You Blues!

Special Notice

Sir David Amess our Southend West MP

Before kick-off at this afternoon's Emirates FA Cup Fourth Round Qualifying game against Chertsey Town “The Curfews”, there will be a minute's silence for MP Sir David Amess after he was tragically murdered yesterday.
Sir David Amess RIP.jpg
Sir David Amess was a Shrimper

Our players will wear black armbands and a wreath will also be laid on the pitch to pay our respects and remember Sir David.

RIP Sir David

Managers Pre-match Views

Chertsey Town

Chertsey boss aims to make most of 'turmoil' at Southend United

Chertsey Town.jpg
Eyeing an upset - Chertsey Town player-manager Kevin Maclaren (left) believes his side can take advantage of the ‘turmoil’ at Southend United

Chertsey Town player-manager Kevin Maclaren believes his side can take avantage of the ‘turmoil’ at Southend United and heap more misery on the National League strugglers in Saturday’s FA Cup tie.

The Pitching In Isthmian League South Central outfit ply their trade three divisions below the Shrimpers and have already made new ground by getting this far, reaching the fourth qualifying round for the first time in their 132-year history.

Maclaren’s side overcame higher-division Chesham United two rounds ago before becoming the first team to beat Jersey Bulls on their own turf last time out, setting up a plum tie at Roots Hall this weekend.

And, with the managerless Shrimpers having lost five of their last six games, Maclaren is setting sights on what he believes would be the greatest result in the club’s history – surpassing their FA Vase triumph in 2019.

“There seems to be a bit of turmoil at the club so it’s not the worst time to play them,” he said.

“We’ve watched their last few games and they’re not performing well.

“I’d have fancied our chances a little bit more if Phil Brown was still in charge, just because if a new manager is appointed before the weekend they might get a bounce and give the place a lift.

“Whenever you play a professional team, they’ll be that bit quicker, fitter and stronger but away from that the margins are quite small.

“We’re full of good players who can cause them problems and I believe we have the quality of the squad to cause a massive upset.”

Maclaren admitted Southend would be ‘a different animal’ to the sides they have faced so far but his experienced side will not be daunted by the challenge.

“Southend were definitely the biggest team we could have got,” Maclaren said.

“Personally, I’d have liked a team at home but if it wasn’t going to be that, it doesn’t get much bigger than Southend away at this stage.

“We are massive underdogs but the players are thriving on that.

“I think it would surpass the Vase if we won.

"In the Vase, we were the highest level in the competition whereas to get to the first round proper, we’ll have had to beat teams from divisions higher than us.

“If we beat Southend on Saturday, it will be the biggest win in the club’s history, for sure.”

And Maclaren is looking forward to hearing the travelling support in full voice this weekend.

“I’d anticipate we’ll bring around 300, maybe more, and I know everyone is looking forward to their big day by the seaside,” he said.

“An FA Cup run always brings that extra buzz and hopefully we can still be in the hat on Sunday.

“Our incentive is about leaving a legacy and making history. We’ve done that in one respect by getting this far but we want the biggest scalp this club’s ever had and that’s Southend United.

"That’s what we’re after.

“We want Chertsey supporters to be talking about this day for years to come.”

Full text can be found here:-

Link

Chertsey owner Mark Turner relishing FA Cup clash at Southend United

Mark Turner.jpg
Up for the cup - Chertsey Town chairman Mark Turner believes that a win against Southend United in the FA Cup fourth qualifying round would be his club’s 'biggest ever achievement',

Chertsey Town chairman Mark Turner believes that a win against Southend United in the FA Cup fourth qualifying round would be his club’s 'biggest ever achievement', reports Leon Imber.

Blues are set to host the Curfews in both side’s first ever involvements in this stage of the competition.

And the Shrimpers’ opposition, who currently play in the Isthmian League South Central Division, are now on their best FA Cup run in the history of the club.
“We’ve had a difficult tie every single round, I’m really proud of the lads,” said Turner.

“Especially when you consider how many months we had off during lockdown.”

A hugely historic fixture for the eighth-tier outfit, the Chertsey owner feels a win would be particularly great for the club’s long-standing secretary.

“Winning would be massive, more so for our secretary Chris Gay,” said the Curfews’ owner.

“He’s approaching 50 years at the club and one of his goals was to play at Wembley, the other was to reach the first round proper.”

“His dad comes from Southend, so there are a few omens, I’m hoping the stars align for us.”

Blues’ rich Football League history and full-time setup makes them the Curfews’ toughest ever opposition and Turner has not played down the magnitude of the match.

“I think it would be our biggest achievement, my biggest achievement, the club’s biggest achievement and all the players’ biggest achievements,” the chairman claimed.

“We played at Wembley and won the FA Vase, which is an unbelievable achievement, but I would say this is bigger.

"It is potentially the biggest game the club has ever played, certainly financially wise too.

“It’s the biggest task we’ve ever faced.”

The Shrimpers go into the match having lost five of their last six matches in the National League, but Turner insists that Southend’s plight will have no bearing on Saturday’s clash.

“I don’t want to get drawn into the situation at Southend, we just need to look after ourselves,” he said.

“But it’s clear from the results that they haven’t been having a good time and we hope we can capitalise on that.

“We’ve had a different training week this week because it’s the cup and that’s why form goes out the window, you can forget about the league.”

The Shrimpers’ chairman Ron Martin revealed last week that his side are operating on a £1.4 million playing budget this season and Saturday’s opposition work with a much different budget.

“Our players get expenses, and our expense budget is probably five per cent of Southend’s weekly playing budget,” Turner revealed

"There’s no one on the pay roll as such

"I’ll be hanging up the players' kits before the game, and I’ll be taking them home and washing them after, I’m not sure the Southend chairman will be doing that’

Link to full story

Link

Southend United

Southend United’s player and caretaker manager Jason Demetriou talks to ifollow before the game with Chertsey Town

Jason Demetriou ifollow 1.jpg

Jason Demetriou ifollow 2.jpg
Southend United’s player and caretaker manager Jason Demetriou talks during his ifollow interview

Link to interview
Link

Jason Demetriou in temporary charge of first-team

Jason Demetriou.jpg
Southend United’s Player and Caretaker Manager Jason Demetriou

Southend United Football Club can announce Jason Demetriou will take temporary charge of the first team as interim head coach.

The 33-year-old steps up to the role for Saturday’s Emirates FA Cup Fourth Qualifying Round tie against Chertsey Town, pending appointment of a permanent manager.

Demetriou said: "I’m really looking forward to taking the team on Saturday. It’s something I want to do in the future so I said I would happily take the team for Saturday.

"With the help of Josh [Coulson] and the staff here we will get the team ready for the game.

"After the previous manager departed, the Club knew already that I would like to go into coaching in the future and I’ve done my badges, so I was approached about taking the team and I said yes without hesitation.”

The former Cyprus international said one of the main focusses has been to instil confidence in the players.

"It’s been a really good week, it’s nice to see the other side to it," he added. "You don’t sleep much because you’re constantly thinking about the team and what we’re going to do but I’ve thoroughly enjoyed it and the boys have all got a smile on their face.

"Losing, you lose confidence as a group and the main thing this week has been getting the boys believing, getting smiles back on faces and getting that confidence back. That was the main thing.

"I sat down with Josh and some of the senior boys and said we’re going to have an enjoyable week, but we are serious. We’ve watched them [Chertsey] quite a bit and we’ll be passing that onto the players so they know what to expect.

"We’ve prepared well and we’re ready for Saturday."

Link

Southend United’s player and caretaker manager Jason Demetriou talks to Chris Phillips at the Echo

Jason Demetriou ready to take charge of Southend United, just don't call him gaffer!

Echo.jpg
In charge - Jason Demetriou (left) will boss Blues tomorrow and will be assisted by Josh Coulson

Jason Demetriou is looking forward to his first game as Southend United’s interim head coach but will fine anyone calling him ‘gaffer’!

Demetriou will take charge of the Shrimpers for Saturday’s FA Cup clash with Chertsey Town at Roots Hall.

But the 33-year-old will not be letting the position go to his head!

“I’m not making anyone call me gaffer, that’s a fine,” said Demetriou.

“It’s JD or Jason or whatever you want to call me!

“We try to have a bit of banter with it but I, along with Josh (Coulson) who is helping me out, we’ve got to make the final decision.

“There has to be a cutting edge but it’s only for a week.

“The boys have reacted well and we’re really looking forward to tomorrow now.

“There are smiles back on the faces and we want a win.”

Demetriou took training again today and is still mulling over his starting line-up for the fourth qualifying round clash.

“I’ve stayed in the changing room with the boys and it will be a hard decision to pick the team,” said the defender.

“I’m mates with them and we all get on really well.

“I knew this was the job and it was going to be the difficult thing but it’s something I want to go to in the future so it’s nice to have a little taste.

“We need a good positive performance with smiles back on people’s faces.”

Link

Big Preview

Southend United v Chertsey Town

Big Preview.jpg

Overview:

Pitching in Isthmian League South Central outfit Chertsey Town head to Roots Hall on Saturday to face Southend United in what will be both side’s first ever involvements in the FA Cup Fourth Qualifying Round.

Last weekend’s 4-0 defeat against Chesterfield extended a torrid run of form which has seen the Blues pick up just one win in their last nine outings, ultimately costing Phil Brown and Craig Fagan their jobs as manager and assistant manager respectively.

And with right-back Jason Demetriou temporarily in charge, Southend must now do battle with the Curfews, who have gathered good momentum having seen off three other non-league sides to reach this stage of the competition.

Whilst Kevin Maclaren’s Chertsey will be fighting tooth and nail for a spot in the First Round Proper, they will have to deal with the quality of a side three divisions above themselves, setting the fixture up to be a fascinating encounter in both sides’ first-ever meeting.

The Opposition:

The Curfews currently ply their trade in one of several eighth tiers of English football.

Founded in 1890, they have a rich history in the lower reaches of the non-league scene and in recent times, have had some great success too.

The 2018/19 campaign was an exceptional one for the Surrey based side, as they cruised to promotion from the Combined Counties League Premier Division, winning the league with six games to spare.

On top of their status as champions, The Curfews also won the FA Vase at Wembley Stadium, beating Cray Valley Paper Mills 3-1 after extra time.

Overseeing such success and still in charge is player-manager Maclaren, the 32-year-old has featured twice for his side in midfield so far this season.

Form:

Year after year, the FA Cup proves that league form is meaningless.

However, The Blues will be keen to arrest their poor run which has seen them pick up just three points from their last possible 18 in the National League.

Their victory over Eastleigh on Tuesday, October 5th was their first since the opening day and it will be weighing on the Shrimpers’ minds that a win is much needed.

Southend’s opposition have enjoyed a great start to the 21/22 campaign, they haven’t lost a match so far this season.

Maclaren’s side have won all their last three matches in all competitions, sitting seventh in the league standings whilst also making it through to the third qualifying round of the FA Trophy last weekend via a 2-1 victory over VCD Athletic.

From The Opposition – Chertsey Town Chairman Mark Turner:

"It (the cup run) has been brilliant, we’ve had a difficult tie every single round," said Turner

"I’m really proud of the lads, especially when you consider how many months we had off during lockdown then you come back with this run of games, it’s been testing for the lads.

"It’d be massive, more so for our secretary Chris Gay, he’s approaching 50 years at the club and one of his goals was to play at Wembley, the other was to reach the First Round Proper and his Dad comes from Southend, so there are a few omens, I’m hoping the stars align for us.

"I think it would be our biggest achievement, my biggest achievement, the club’s biggest achievement and all the players’ biggest achievements, and that’s the magnitude of it.

"We’re a million miles away from Southend as a football club and an entity, so even to be on the same stage as them, it’s just great to go up against a full-time set-up.

"We’re going there with a positive attitude, and we’ll see where it takes us.

"England struggled to beat San Marino a couple of years ago, and you’re thinking you couldn’t get more worlds apart, strange things happen in football all the time, that’s why we all love it and it gives everyone a chance.

"It’s the biggest task we’ve ever faced."

Blues’ Team News:

Abu Ogogo’s foot injury is not as bad as first feared, but he will remain out for the Chertsey clash.

Josh Coulson remains out long-term with the ankle injury he suffered at Solihull Moors.

Tom Clifford is also a long-term absentee.

Ref Watch:

Callum Walchester will take charge of proceedings when Chertsey come to town on Saturday.

Usually refereeing in the National League South, Walchester heads to Roots Hall on Saturday for the first time since his appearance as fourth official when The Blues hosted Tranmere Rovers in January 2020.

The referee’s last match came when Concord Rangers lost 3-0 to Chippenham Town.

Walchester will be assisted by Stephen Parkinson and Thomas Kelly, with Jack Bloxham as fourth official.

Key fixtures elsewhere in the FA Cup:

Bromsgrove Sporting v Grimsby Town

Bowers and Pitsea v Aldershot Town

Curzon Ashton v Chesterfield

Dover Athletic v Yate Town

Eastleigh v Folkestone

Hereford v Solihull Moors

Horsham v Woking

Hungerford v Bromley

King’s Lynn Town v Peterborough Sports

Maidenhead United v Hastings

Marine v Wrexham

Pontefract Collieries v FC Halifax

Stockport County v Stamford

Tamworth v Notts County

Torquay v Havant and Waterlooville

Yeovil Town v Weymouth

How to Follow:

Tickets are on sale for the game from the Blues Box Office online, on the phone (0344 477 0077) or in person. Tickets cost £10 for adults and £5 for concessions.

Blues fans unable to attend Roots Hall will still be able to follow all the live action by subscribing to Blues TV where you’ll get live match commentary from the BBC Essex team from all first-team matches this season.

Blues TV costs £4.49 per month or a one-off cost of £45 for the season, with your subscription not only giving you match commentary, but also exclusive access to extended match highlights, full pre-match press conferences, interviews, features and more.

You can also follow live minute-by-minute updates on social media via the Club’s official Twitter account by following @SUFCRootsHall on Twitter, which will ensure you get all the latest news and more throughout the 2021/22 season.

Matchday programme:

The matchday programme ‘Roots Review’ will be available to buy outside the stadium from the programme hut on Saturday. Included in the programme is an interview with Will Atkinson, an in-depth preview of our opposition, a Blues FA Cup fact-file and loads more besides.

The programme hut is based at the bottom of the main car park off Victoria Avenue.

Reduced quantities will be available from some bars and kiosks also.

A digital matchday programme can be bought via MatchDay Digital.

Apple users can download the app here, while Android users can download a copy via the Google Play store here.

Link to story

Link

Come On You Blues!

History of Chertsey Town

The FA Cup (4th Qualifying Round) against Southend United is the first time in their 132 year history they have reached this stage of the completion.

Chertsey Town FC are a semi-Professional club founded in 1890 and their nickname is “The Curfews”. They currently play in the Isthmian League South Central Division (8th Tier).

Chertsey’s claim to fame was in the 2018-19 season, winning the FA Vase 3-1 after extra time against Cray Valley Paper Mills at the new Wembley Stadium in front of 42,962.

Kevin MacLaren 3.jpg
Kevin Maclaren Chertsey Town’s Player/Manager (on the right) celebrating winning the FA Vase in Wembley Stadium in the 2018-19 Season.

Chertsey Town had gone on a unbeaten 10 game unbeaten run beating Woodley United and Tadley Calleva in the qualifying rounds, then beating Flackwell Heath 6-1 in the first Round. Chertsey then struck 16 goals without rely against Horndean, Redbridge, AFC St Austell, Irlam, and West Ackland Town to progress to the semi-finals. They played Northwich Victoria in two legged semi-final which resulted in a penalty shoot out which Chertsey won 5-3 to set up their first FA Vase Wembley Final against Cray Valley Paper Mills.

Chertsey Town play at Alwyns Lane Football ground

Chertsey Town Alwayns Lane 1.jpg
Aerial view of Alwyns Lane Football ground

Chertsey Town Alwyns Lane 2.jpg
Main Stand Alwyns Lane Football ground

Chertsey Town Honours

FA Vase

Kevin MacLean 2.jpg
Kevin Maclaren Chertsey Town’s Player/Manager lifting the FA Vase Trophy in 2018/19

Winners 2018-19
Quarter-finalists 1987-88, 1991-92

Combined Counties League Premier Division

Winners 2018-19
Runners Up 1985-86, 2009-10, 2010-11

Combined Counties League Cup

Winners 1985-86

Isthmian League

Division Two Runners up 1993-94
Division Three Runners up 1991-92

Isthmian League Cup

Winners 1993-94

Southern Combination Challenge Cup

Winners 1998-99

Spartan League

Runners up 1974-75

Spartan League Cup

Runners up 1974-75

Surrey Senior Cup

Runners up 1985-86

Surrey Senior League

Winners 1958-59, 1960-61, 1961-62

Surrey Senior League Challenge Cup

Winners 1960-61, 1961-62

Surrey Junior Cup

Winners 1896-97
Runners up 1910-11

Surrey Junior League

Winners 1919-20

Come On You Blues!

Six changes for the Shrimpers

Steve Arnold, Shaun Hobson, Charlie Sayers all miss out with injuries while the on-loan Benji Kimpioka has been denied permission to play by his parent club Sunderland.

Demetriou also misses out with a slight knock which will enable him to concentrate on taking charge of the team while Hamzad Kargbo drops down onto the pitch.
Harry Seaden, Rhys Murphy, Sam Dalby, Terrell Egbri and Harry Phillips have all been recalled while Rob Howard has been handed his first start for the Shrimpers.

Probably something like this:

Seadon
Howard Dunne Ralph Atkinson
Egbri Ferguson Phillips Bridge
Dalby Murphy

Guess that is what happens when you have 3 central defenders and all are injured. Add to that both left backs are injured and our starting right back is the caretaker manager.

Hallelujah. A team that shouldn't be afraid to attack. Murphy, Dalby and Egbri starting. Come on You Blues!!

Seadon
Howard Dunne Ralph
Egbri ----------------------- Bridge
Philips
Atkinson ------ Ferguson

Dalby Murphy​
That is how JD read it out. I worry about Atkinson in the middle as well as Egbri in a wing-back role.

This game is less about the formation and more about getting the basics right. If we can match their work rate and keep the ball early on, as they will come out fired up for this, then we can wear them down.

We should be winning this easily and will come down to if we make a big mistake or not.

I wonder how Atkinson , Dunne and Fergie will cope against their enthusiasm. When I saw the side I thought we are not taking this seriously or think we can walk it?

Although acknowledge the huge impact of injuries yet again with 8 defenders ( including Arnold ) out

Would like to see Walsh, Dennis, Rush and Davis get minutes. Good to see Phillips acknowledged again and at last my pleas for Howard met

Good luck Demi and Boys, cmon you shrimpers

p.s. Perhaps we Should have signed my son in law with his 100% win record against them including scoring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back