• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Official Match Thread Southend United v Chesterfield

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Big Dady

¡Viva la Kevolución! ⭐️ ⭐️
Staff member
The Official Match Thread brought to you by ShrimperZone.com

So here we are, our fifth home game in the Vanarama National League of the 2021/22 season. This is Phil Brown’s 8th home game in charge since he was reappointed Manager of the Mighty Shrimpers.

Our 5th match is at home is against Chesterfield FC

Vanarama National League.png
SUFC.jpg VS.pngChesterfield.png
It is now time for ALL of us to get behind him and the team whether you are at Roots Hall, listening on the radio, listening on Blues TV, you can all still make that famous "Roots Hall Roar”.

Phil Brown’s 5th Southend United Vanarama National League Home Team of the 2021/22 season

FBQkJVCXoAQscUc.jpg

The Roots Hall pitch looks fantastic and is ready for action at 3.00pm Saturday 9th October 2021 against Chesterfield. It looks like we will have a sunny intervals with a light winds during this afternoon’s game at Roots Hall.

Roots Hall 1.jpg

Roots Hall 2.jpg

Here is the weather forecast for this afternoon at Roots Hall
SUFC v Chesterfield Weather.jpg
Current League home record after 4 home games

Won 1
Dawn 1
Lost 2
Goals scored 5
Goals conceded 6

League Positions Last Season

23rd (2020/21 Season) EFL League Two Southend United (Relegated)
6th (2020/21 Season) Vanarama National League Chesterfield FC

League Positions Current Season

5th (2021/22 Season) Vanarama National League Chesterfield FC
18th (2021/22 Season) Vanarama National League Southend United

Recent League Position Change
SUFC v Chesterfield Positions.jpg
Previous Meetings

Hard to believe both teams were in the English Football League One back in 2017

Chesterfield 0-4 Southend United (L1 14/04/17 Att. 5,529)
Southend United 1-0 Chesterfield (L1 15/10/16 Att. 6,004)
Southend United 0-1 Chesterfield (L1 05/03/16 Att. 7,518)
Chesterfield 3-0 Southend United (L1 20/10/15 Att. 5,703)
Southend United 3-0 Chesterfield (L2 18/01/14 Att. 6,256)

Head to Head record

Southend United Wins: 22
Draws: 14
Chesterfield FC Wins: 24

Current Form

Chesterfield FC
W W D L D
Southend United L L L L W

Come On You Blues!

Managers Pre-match Views

Chesterfield

Chesterfield Manager
did not do a pre match interview before travelling down to Roots Hall

James Rowe - Ready For Tough Test

James Rowe.jpg
Chesterfield Manager James Rowe

Ahead of the Spireites’ trip to Southend United on Saturday, manager James Rowe acknowledged that his side will be up for a tough test at Roots Hall.

Speaking in the pre-match press conference, Rowe said: “We can’t be fooled [by their situation]. They still have some good players in their squad, and they can pick up a result at any time as well – like they showed on Tuesday.

“They’re not giving up on the pitch. They performed well on Tuesday. They changed their shape a little bit and deserved their win in the end against Eastleigh.

“It’s not just going to be us turning up and turning them over. We need to learn from our away day at Dover and perhaps the first half against Aldershot.

“We need to start the game better, but Tuesday night showed that we have got nothing to fear at this level. We are a good team and the way we played on Tuesday was effective.”

Chesterfield were handed an away draw at Curzon Aston on Monday in the FA Cup Fourth Qualifying Round.

Rowe has admitted that he has not turned his attention to the tie, saying: “I haven’t really thought about. I haven’t had time. The draw was made on Monday, and we were fully focused on the game on Tuesday.

“It’s a good one. A typical FA Cup tie in terms of we go there as favourites and they are going to give it a right go. However, I’m fully focused on Southend.”

George Carline was stretchered off during the final minutes of the Wrexham game and Rowe gave an update on the nature of the injury, saying: “He’s hairline fractured his knee in a tackle. He wanted to stay on because he is fully committed to the performance – he was in pain at half time. It’s a blow for us.

“It sums up his character in terms of who he is as a human being. He’s gone back out and the knee has fell away.

“It’s a completely fractured kneecap. It’s a long-term injury and he is out for five months. He goes into surgery tomorrow.

“It’s not good for George. However, he’s in a good place and he’s got really good support staff here. We will try and get him back as quickly and as safely as we can and make sure his mental health is okay for the next five months.”

Link to preview

Link

Southend United

Phil Brown talks to the Southend United ifollow before this afternoon’s game with Chesterfield

Ifollow 1.jpg

ifollow 2.jpg
Phil Brown during his interview on ifollow before this afternoon’s game with Chesterfield

Link to interview
Link

Phil Brown talked to the Chris Phillips at the Echo before this afternoon’s game against Chesterfield

Phil Brown mulls over team selection for Southend United's clash with Chesterfield

Ehco 1.jpg
Mulling things over - Southend United manager Phil Brown is contemplating his starting line-up against Chesterfield

Southend United manager Phil Brown admits it would be nice to select the same starting line-up against Chesterfield on Saturday but has not ruled out making changes.

Brown made five alterations to his side for Tuesday night’s 1-0 win against Eastleigh.

But he must now decide what is best to take on the Spireites this weekend.

“It would be nice say same team, same subs and same formation,” said Brown.

“But today is an important day for those who didn’t play on Tuesday to get it into my head that they’re ready to play. “

Brown handed Hamzad Kargbo his first league start in the week.

And the Shrimpers chief feels the on loan QPR striker brings a physical edge to his team.

“All Hamzad did on Tuesday night was put himself about physically but maybe that’s what this division requires,” said Brown.

“Maybe it needs physicality before the technicality but I need to look at the numbers and decide which two will cause Chesterfield maximum damage.”

Link to full story

Link

Phil Brown talked to the Chris Phillips at the Echo before this afternoon’s game against Chesterfield

Phil Brown keen to keep pressure off Southend United ahead of clash with Chesterfield

Echo 2.jpg
Preparing - Southend United manager Phil Brown is keen to keep the pressure off his players against Chesterfield this weekend

Southend United manager Phil Brown will again be looking to keep the pressure off his players ahead of Saturday's clash with Chesterfield at Roots Hall.

The Shrimpers host the fifth placed Spireites having ended a run of four successive defeats with a 1-0 win against Eastleigh on Tuesday night.

And Brown will again be doing what he can to get the best from Blues who have endured a poor start to the National League campaign.

“On Tuesday night they didn’t know the team until 6.15 so maybe naming the team late is the way forward,” said the Blues boss.

“I’ve got to think long and hard about my own preparation.

“I’ve treated players the same from the Premier League to the National League but sometimes when you name a team it can put a lot of pressure on a player.

“Not naming the team until late might be the answer but I’m still learning all about this group of players.

“It’s a new squad and a new league.

“But after four defeats on the bounce maybe we can turn it back around with four wins on the bounce.”

Tuesday night’s win saw Blues move up to 18th in the standings and Brown has now switched his sights onto Chesterfield who were among the pre-season favourites for promotion after a summer of big spending.

But Brown does not want budgets to determine the outcome of matches.

“If it’s a battle about money and I don’t want it to be, we would be about mid-table with regards to finances but it’s not about money,” said Brown.

“It’s about the quality of the players you bring in and I’ve been happy with that.

“The motivation I was happy with for four games and then it disappeared a bit after Wrexham.

“But after getting back to winning ways we have to make sure it’s not another eight games until we win the next one.”

Brown has Terrell Egbri available again after the winger recovered from a hamstring problem but he will again be without centre-back Josh Coulson (ankle), defender John White (groin), left-back Tom Clifford (ankle) and midfielder Abu Ogogo (foot).

Link to full story

Link

The Big Preview

Southend United vs Chesterfield

Big Preview.jpg

Overview:

Southend United will be looking to clinch their second successive victory at Roots Hall on Saturday, but they will face a tough task as they do battle with James Rowe’s Chesterfield.

Phil Brown’s side overcame their recent struggles on Tuesday night as they fought their way to a first home victory of the season against Eastleigh.

Before Tuesday’s 1-0 triumph, Southend were 21st in the league standings, but the three points lifted them out of the relegation zone ahead of Saturday’s clash.

And now the Blues boss will be looking at building a positive run of results, however, they will have to overcome the Spireites, who currently sit fifth in the table.

The two sides have battled numerous times before, the last meeting perhaps one of the more memorable for Southend fans, as Brown’s men wheeled away from Derbyshire 4-0 winners.

The Opposition:

Chesterfield, in their original form, were founded in 1866, they have a rich history in the Football League.

In 2018, the Spireites suffered relegation to the National League after a horrific season in which they finished eight points from safety in League Two.

It was to be the first time that the club were resigned to non-league football since their re-joining of the Football League in 1921, however, Rowe’s side are now amidst a charge to return to the top four tiers.

With a summer of good investment, Chesterfield are hungry for a promotion campaign with their fast start to the 21/22 season typical of their ambitions; they’re looking to go one step further than last year where they crashed out of the play-offs in the quarter finals.

Form:

The Shrimpers tasted victory for the first time since opening day on Tuesday, a resilient 1-0 victory which broke an unwelcome run of four straight defeats.

Before Tuesday’s point maximum, Southend had picked up just five points from a possible 24, suffering a seven-match winless run after their curtain-raising victory.

The Spireites started the 21/22 campaign superbly, winning five of their first seven matches this season.

However, Rowe’s side have stuttered in their last three matches, failing to win in each, a stumble which has seen them drop four points below the table-topping Grimsby Town.

From The Boss:

"We’ve had a look at the performance (on Tuesday), and it was a performance that I was proud of because the players were under a lot of pressure,” said Brown.

"Not knowing the team until 6:15 on the night, maybe that’s the way forward for me, I have to think long and hard about my preparation, sometimes when you name a team it puts a lot of pressure on a player, naming the team at 6:15 might be the answer.

"I blame myself as much as anybody, we lost four games on the bounce, maybe now we can win four games on the bounce and turn the season round but its gone a long way in terms of confidence and hopefully performances in training.

"If it’s a battle of money we’d probably be about mid-table, I keep on saying it’s not about money it’s about the quality of player you’re bringing in, I’ve been happy with. The motivation of player I was happy with for the first four games.

"We have to go into this game with our tails up, it’d be nice to say same team and same formation, but I want to see competition for places heightened by performances on the training ground."

Blues’ Team News:

Terrell Egbri will be pushing for a return to the squad after missing the last two fixtures due to a hamstring problem.

Blues boss Brown confirmed that Josh Coulson suffered a fractured ankle against Solihull Moors last weekend, consequently being ruled out ‘for a couple of months.’

John White is also doubtful for the clash as he recovers from his hip flexor issue.

Abu Ogogo’s foot injury has been confirmed as “not broken,” in positive news for Southend, it is hopeful that the midfielder will be returning in a couple of weeks.

Tom Clifford is a long-term absentee remains out.

Ref Watch:

Scott Tallis will be calling the shots when Chesterfield come to town on Saturday.

The clash will be Tallis’ fifth National League fixture of the 21/22 season.

In his four matches so far, he has brandished 13 yellow cards, 10 of which came in one match.

Tallis will be assisted by Jonathon Block and Christopher Myatt, with Charles Martland as fourth official.

Elsewhere in the National League:

Altrincham v Maidenhead United

Boreham Wood v Dagenham & Redbridge

Bromley v Torquay United

Dover Athletic v Barnet

FC Halifax v Weymouth

King’s Lynn Town v Solihull Moors

Stockport County v Aldershot Town

Wealdstone v Eastleigh

Woking v Grimsby Town

Yeovil Town v Notts County

How to Follow:

Tickets are on sale for the game from the Blues Box Office
online, on the phone (0344 477 0077) or in person. Tickets cost £18 for adults, £13 for concessions, £8 for juniors (9-16) and £3 for children (8 and under) if bought before the matchday. Prices increase on the day by £2.

Blues fans unable to attend Roots Hall will still be able to follow all the live action by
subscribing to Blues TV where you’ll get live match commentary from the BBC Essex team from all first-team matches this season.

Blues TV costs £4.49 per month or a one-off cost of £45 for the season, with your subscription not only giving you match commentary, but also exclusive access to extended match highlights, full pre-match press conferences, interviews, features and more.

You can also follow live minute-by-minute updates on social media via the Club’s official Twitter account by following
@SUFCRootsHall on Twitter, which will ensure you get all the latest news and more throughout the 2021/22 season.

Matchday programme:
Chesterfield Programme.jpg
The matchday programme ‘Roots Review’ will be available to buy outside the stadium from the programme hut and the Paul Robinson West Stand ticket office.

The programme hut is based at the bottom of the main car park off Victoria Avenue, which along with a dedicated programme only window at the west stand ticket office, will be the two main points for supporters to buy a programme.

Reduced quantities will be available from some bars and kiosks also.

A digital matchday programme can be bought via MatchDay Digital.

Apple users can download the app
here, while Android users can download a copy via the Google Play store here.

Link to full story

Link

Come On You Blues!

Did I just hear Phil Brown say on BBC Essex that Les Ferdinand told him to give Kargbo another chance? Is he picking our side now?

This must be some kind of sick joke?!
Didn't Brown not learn anything from Tuesday night?
A certain defeat.

Kargbo must be pulling up trees in training as I’ve not seen anything from him yet to warrant a starting place over our top scorer and best target man at the club

bizarre from Brown again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back