• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Official Match Thread Southend United v Coventry City

I can’t take much more of this, and I only have to watch it on TV.

I really feel for Sol, and I think something is going to explode at the club soon, whether that’s with management or the fans kicking off.

I can’t actually believe how patient the fans have been and that statement from Ron last night ffs.

Clifford was very good today, I think we have a good player on our hands. Kelman was anonymous, Barrett not ready yet, (or possibly not good enough), Mantom was a passenger, Milligan did ok, but looks so frustrated.

I thought Goodship did ok, Hutchinson did bugger all when he came on, and I am not sure Coker touched the ball.

Proud of the youths. Again. Well done to the team. We have some fine talent that is learning game by game and will be enough to keep us up in league 2. A few additions and we could very well bounce straight back up. This side has commitment, pride and passion. We might be losing but the tide will turn and these lads will have earned it. UTB
Thank **** for someone with some optimism. Too right that with a few strong additions to the spine of the team we could have every chance of bouncing back. UTB

Proud of the youths. Again. Well done to the team. We have some fine talent that is learning game by game and will be enough to keep us up in league 2. A few additions and we could very well bounce straight back up. This side has commitment, pride and passion. We might be losing but the tide will turn and these lads will have earned it. UTB

I wish I shared your optimism

Well if you look at the 11 that finished today, must be early 20's, only Milligan, Mantom and Dieng are over 21.

I think Goodship's 25, not sure on Barratt but I thought he's older than 21 too. Still your point's valid, probably our youngest starting 11 for years.

All the kids couldn't be faulted for effort but I felt it looked like Mitchell-Nelson and Egbri have been thrown in too early. Hopefully given games they'll grow in stature (metaphorically when talking about Egbri!)

Clifford's one who's really risen to the challenge though. First choice left back for me now without a doubt.

Last edited:
I wish I shared your optimism

I second this. The experience those young lads are getting right now is one of disappointment. Losing every week isn’t going to benefit these lads. Do you really trust us to bring in those players you speak of as well? I don’t. We’ll be in league two for a good few years I fear.

We are so far away from the standard required for this league. Painful to watch. Men against boys. what a helpless situation we are in. Depressing times...to be continued

It feels like this club will be finished soon. It's heartbreaking.

I disagree with all the doom and gloom posts about next season. This experience and game time is invaluable for these youngsters. We’ve had horrendous luck, not being able to bring in 3/4 players in Jan has cost us but we needed points in Dec, to even stand a prayer of escaping relegation. These players are giving it their all, to beat Coventry was a huge ask.

Whether Campbell is the man for L2 is very open to debate...I’m still of the opinion he’s doing as well as can be expected. I disagreed with his decision to leave Hutch on the bench (Barratt just isn’t for me, a starter at the minute) but refereeing decisions aside, we just played a much better, more experienced team. We really missed McLaughlin and Demetriou today .. to lose Oxley, what a massive blow and let’s hope it’s just a minor issue.

It’s just fate, we’re going down and you can thank the likes of Ridgewell, Kiernan and Cox for that. Not these poor b*ggers.

Look at it another way. Our fully fit full strength squad of senior pros from a few months ago would have probably lost 8-0

Things have been going South for a while now. Getting relegated is not going to make things suddenly better. Going down isnt going to turn the tide. This squad is to young and inexperienced and light weight. we will struggle in league 2 with these players. teams bounce back with investment...that isnt going to happen.

Look at it another way. Our fully fit full strength squad of senior pros from a few months ago would have probably lost 8-0

Yeah that's true, early season under Bond we probably would have capitulated to a 4 or 5 nil. I'm annoyed that just when results were on the upturn and the team spirit was back we're hit by an embargo. It would have been a miracle to stay up but they do happen occasionally. Sadly no chance now though.

At least for the last few home games I've been proud of the team's effort, I couldn't say that until recently this season.

Last edited:
Really impressed with Clifford. Very tidy and intelligent player. Would make sure his contract is watertight.

Things have been going South for a while now. Getting relegated is not going to make things suddenly better. Going down isnt going to turn the tide. This squad is to young and inexperienced and light weight. we will struggle in league 2 with these players. teams bounce back with investment...that isnt going to happen.

Probably have another new manager as well

I agree with a lot of fans that the youngsters are playing their socks off for Southend United. Probably not much fun for them being put into the team with no experienced players or leaders to look up to. Only one person to blame for that. Ron Martin!!! Sol Campbell can only work with the players he has available. Surprised he hasn’t walked. I would have done by now. No one has mentioned the fact that we paid for season tickets(£300+) to watch the first team not the youth team. !! We can watch them for nothing down Boots and Laces. Time sell Rob Martin.

Back