• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Official Match Thread Southend United v Crawley Town

The Big Dady

¡Viva la Kevolución! ⭐️ ⭐️
Staff member
The Official Match Thread brought to you by ShrimperZone.com

So here we are the twenty first League Two home game of the 2020/21 season and
Phil Brown’s 1st league home game in charge since returning as manager of the Mighty Shrimpers.

Our 21th League Two match at home is against Crawley Town

SkyBet League Two.jpg
SUFC.jpgVS.pngCrawley Town.png
This is our 3rd from last home game of the season and possibly our last few games in the Football League for a while.

It is now time for ALL of us to get behind him and the team whether you are listening on the radio, listening or watching on ifollow, you can still make that famous "Roots Hall Roar” at home.

Phil Brown’s 1st Southend United League two Home Team of the 2020/21 season

EynSPlSWEAEFs6n.jpg

The Roots Hall pitch looks fantastic and is ready for action at 15.00 hrs Saturday 10th April 2021 against Crawley Town. It looks like we are going to have light rain this afternoon with a moderate breeze at Roots Hall.

Roots Hall 1.jpg

Roots Hall 2.jpg

Here is the weather forecast for this afternoon at Roots Hall

SUFC v Crawley Town Weather.png
Current League home record after 20 home games

Won 4
Dawn 4
Lost 12
Goals scored 13
Goals conceded 27

League Positions Last Season

22nd (2019/20 Season) League One Southend United (Relegated)
13th (2019/20 Season) League Two Crawley Town

League Positions Current Season

14th (2020/21 Season) League Two Crawley Town
23rd (2020/21 Season) League Two Southend United

Recent League Position Change
SUFC v Crawley Town Positions.png
Previous Five Meetings

Crawley Town 1-1 Southend United (L2 03/10/20 Att. 0 Covid)
Crawley Town 2-6 Southend United (FAC1 20/11/18 Att. 3,120)
Southend United 1-1 Crawley Town (FAC1 10/11/18 Att. 3,935)
Crawley Town 0-3 Southend United JPT2 06/10/15 Att. 1,139)
Southend United 0-0 Crawley Town (L2 05/03/12 Att. 5,439)

Head to Head record

Southend United Wins: 3
Draws: 3

Crawley Town Wins: 1

Current Form

Crawley Town
L L L D L
Southend United D D W L D

SUFC v Crawley Town Fixtures.png

If The Truth Be Told
"Phil Brown's Barmy Army, Come On You Blues!"

Managers Pre-match Views

Crawley Town

Crawley Town Manager John Yems was so shocked at the news of Phil Brown’s reappointment at Southend United that he failed to give a pre-match interview

John Yems.jpg
Crawley Town Manager John Yems

Crawley striker Tom Nichols talked to Sam Pole at the Crawley Observer before travelling to Roots Hall

‘We need the three points’ – Crawley Town striker Tom Nichols on ‘must win’ game at Southend United

Tom Nichols.jpg
Tom Nichols Crawley Town Striker

Crawley striker Tom Nichols want himself and his Reds teammates to finish the season strong as they head into the final few games of the League Two Season.

Crawley Town travel to Southend on Saturday to second from bottom Southend on Saturday and with Reds not winning in seven, Nichols admitted that it is a must win.

"We need the three points, there’s no getting away from it. We’re not in good form at the moment but we’ve been working hard on the training pitch and we’re looking forward to the game.

"They’re (Southend) going to be scrapping hard for their lives and we need points as well because we’re probably not going to finish where we want to finish but we want to finish strong so it should be a good game.

"Spirits are okay considering we’re on a bit of a tricky run at the moment, but we like to keep spirits up win, lose or draw and we’re looking forward to the game."

Despite Crawley faltering as of late, Nichols personally has had a fantastic league campaign totalling 11 goals and 7 assists and he believes that more is yet to come for him.

He said: "Yeah, it’s been good but there’s a lot more to do; more goals, more assists and more goals for the team really. It’s been a positive season but there’s eight games left, and I want to finish as strongly as possible.

"It’s nice, it’s (getting goals and assists) what I want to do. The way I play my game is what I’m based on and what I’m judged on and I’ve been doing well this year.

"It’s nice to look at the stats and see my name up there near the top because that’s what I want at the end of the day is to be up there amongst the most creative players and the goal scorers in the league. Obviously, I need more goals but I’m quite high up in other stats as well which is pleasing."

Nichols also has featured predominantly for John Yems’ side and being the focal point of the attack has seen him the target from some strong opposition tackling. That doesn’t seem to faze Nichols though and in fact relishes in that aspect of the game.

"I quite enjoy that (the physical aspect), it means you’re involved in the game. My dad told me if you’re not getting kicked you’re not doing something right! So I enjoy being right amongst it.

"I give away quite a few fouls as well, so I probably give as good as I get. But I’m enjoying it and long may it continue.

"I’ve played a lot of minutes which is what I want and what I keep myself fit for. It’s been a tough schedule but one that I’ve thoroughly enjoyed. I’d rather be playing than sitting on the bench watching and, touch wood, I’ve stayed injury free and I’ve really enjoyed it."

Link to full story

Link

Southend United

Phil Brown talked to the ifollow on his return to the Shrimpers before today’s game against Crawley Town

Phil Brown ifollow 1.png
The New Southend United Manager Phil Brown

Phil Brown ifollow 2.png
The New Southend Manager Phil Brown speaks during his interview

Link to interview
Link

Phil Brown pre-match quote

Phil Brown Pre Match.jpg

Phil Brown talks to Chris Phillips at the Echo before today’s game with Crawley Town

Southend United boss Phil Brown to rely on knowledge of backroom team before picking starting line-up

Phil Brown Echo.jpg
Management team - Phil Brown will work closely with both Craig Fagan and Ricky Duncan

Returning Southend United manager Phil Brown will seek the advice of his newly formed backroom team before selecting his starting line-up against Crawley Town on Saturday.

Brown is working closely alongside both Ricky Duncan and Craig Fagan following his return to Roots Hall.

And he will listen carefully to the duo's advice before finalising his side.

"We had 24 players out on the training ground and that’s a big squad," said Brown.

"When you’re looking to choose an 11 from that the backroom staff will be really important to me.

"I’ve decided to promote Ricky Duncan to assistant manager and Craig Fagan to first team coach.

"They’ve been working at the club for a number of years.

"Their knowledge and awareness is one of great depths.

"I’ve picked a team to play Crawley based on that and the information we have on the opposition."

Crawley head to Roots Hall sitting 14th in the League Two standings.

But Brown is focusing on his own side's display.

"A lot of people say teams with little to play for can be dangerous and I agree with that to a certain extent but we’ve got to focus on ourselves and focus on what we can do, not what we can’t," said Brown.

"We have to focus on the positives and there’s plenty to work with here that can cause a problem to Crawley.

"It will be a tough game of football and I’m looking forward to it because I’ve been missing the dug-out in English football.

"I’ve been out in India for three years and I’ve been away from the game here too long in my opinion.

"Some people might say that will cause me a problem but I don’t think it will.

"I don’t think you forget things after nearly 40 years in the English game and it will all come flooding back in the first couple of minutes I would imagine."

Link to full story

Link

The Big Preview

Southend United vs Crawley Town

Big Preview.png

Overview

Crawley Town are the visitors to Roots Hall this weekend as Southend United go in search of a vital home victory to keep their hopes of survival alive and kicking.

Having picked up another positive point in the midweek draw at promotion-chasing Morecambe, it is now about turning that away form into victories on home soil.

Blues haven’t won any of their last nine at Roots Hall and newly appointed Manager Phil Brown will be keen not to extend that number to 10, especially with games very quickly running out.

Brown re-joined the club on Friday morning, taking over from Mark Molesley, and he will take charge of the side against the Red Devils assisted by Ricky Duncan and Craig Fagan.

Form

The 1-1 draw at the Mazuma Stadium on Tuesday was Blues’ sixth draw in their last 10 games having also recorded stalemates with Walsall, Scunthorpe, Stevenage, Oldham and Salford.

Only Grimsby (7) have recorded more draws than Southend across the last 10 matches, with Blues’ only victory during that run coming against Harrogate a fortnight ago.

After picking up three 1-0 wins in the space of a week in March, Crawley have since failed to win any of their last six, with their only points in that spell coming in draws against Scunthorpe and Walsall.

Last Meeting

Saturday 3rd October 2020

Crawley Town 1-1 Southend United

Nadesan 21’; Ralph 84’

Nathan Ralph’s acrobatic equaliser earned Blues their first point of the season at Crawley as the full-back’s leveller cancelled out Ashley Nadesan’s earlier strike.

The home side took the lead midway through the first-half when Nadesan finished off a smart free-kick routine before Terrell Egbri picked out Ralph with six minutes left to volley in the equaliser.

From The Boss

“With the six games we’ve got it’s a great challenge,” said Phil Brown. “Every game is winnable, starting with Crawley Town tomorrow

“Crawley are a technical team that try to play football, that know they’ve got enough points now and know that they’re going to be in the second division [next season].

“At the same time, it’s always a challenge. It’s 11 vs 11, tactics vs tactics and John Yems will be looking along the touchline thinking he wasn’t going to be facing Phil Brown, and now all of a sudden he’s got a different challenge.

“What does that matter when it comes to 3 o’clock and the players cross the white line? It doesn’t really matter.

“At the same time, I’ve got to prepare my team as best as possible and hopefully the information that they’ve received today they will carry out accordingly in the two hours that follows.”

Blues Team News

Southend will be boosted by the return of Sam Hart who is available again having completed his three-game suspension for his red card against Walsall.

Blues could also be bolstered by the returns of James Olayinka (groin) and John White (elbow) who both returned to training this week, but late calls will be made on them.

Blues are also hopeful that Simeon Akinola (groin) can return to training today as he pushes for a quick return, though Alan McCormack (calf) and Jacob Mellis (knee) will again miss out.

Crawley Dangerman

Tom Nichols takes up the mantle of Crawley’s dangerman this weekend with the striker the club’s joint-top scorer with 15 goals this season.

After Max Watters departed for Cardiff in January, Nichols has picked up the baton and continued to provide the Red Devils with plenty of attacking threat.

But it’s his goals combined with his assists that make him one of the biggest dangers to Blues this weekend, with the frontman having also chipped in with 10 assists so far this campaign.

Ref Watch

Saturday will see Charles Breakspear referee Crawley’s visit to Blues. He’ll be assisted by Joseph Stokes and Paul Kelly, while Paul Yates stands in as the fourth official.

The Surrey official has taken charge of 28 games so far this season, showing a total of 106 yellow cards and six reds, and it’ll be his second visit to Roots Hall this season.

Breakspear was last in South-East Essex for Southend’s 2-1 defeat to Morecambe in September, with his last match anywhere being Charlton’s 2-2 draw at AFC Wimbledon.

iFollow Blues

With fans not able to attend Roots Hall in person, Blues supporters can watch tomorrow’s game with Crawley by picking up a Match Pass on iFollow Blues for £10.

A Match Pass will allow you to watch the game on your laptop, computer, tablet or mobile device with Season Ticket holders already having access to their pass via their iFollow account.

For more information on how you can get your Match Pass and ensure you miss none of the action at Roots Hall on iFollow Blues,
click here.

Link to full story

Link

Roots Review

Roots Review.png

Order now for Crawley clash!

The official matchday programme for our next game at Roots Hall against Crawley Town on Saturday 10th April is available to
pre-order now.

The club continues to produce a matchday programme for all Sky Bet League Two games while football is played behind closed doors.

The deadline to guarantee delivery before matchday has passed but you can still order by
clicking here.

The programme costs £3.00 plus P&P of £0.99 for postage to a UK address. Overseas deliveries will incur an increased P&P charge which will be calculated based on the delivery address.

There's an interview with Jason Demetriou who could make his 150th league start for Blues this weekend if selected.

Demetriou skippered the side on Tuesday against Morecambe, and he talks about Blues' relegation battle following the point picked up in midweek.

The Supporter Spotlight features Lee Morgan and SUEPA have some great tales from recent initiatives with Peter Heathcote, Bobby King and their SUEPA Scrapbook series.

Keep up your matchday traditions and order now for some pre-match reading!

Link to full story

Link

If The Truth Be Told
"Phil Brown's Barmy Army, Come On You Blues!"

Phil Brown Returns to Roots Hall

Phil Brown Returns.png

A Big ShrimperZone welcome back to the Shrimpers Phil,
The team needs you, we need you, now just go and ruddy do it!
Save our English Football League status.
We all believe in you and your/our team.
Phil Brown's Barmy Army.

Come On You Blues

10/11 same as Tuesday. Halford up front? Akinola banished to the shadow realm?

Same team selection that got absolutely slated on Tuesday apart from Holmes in for ANG. Will it be slated now a different manager has chosen it?

The same team that got a very credible point at high flying Morecambe.. is anyone really surprised not to see much change? Also, PB has spent one day with the group, barely anytime at all to come in and make sweeping changes.

Only Hart on the bench defensively, but dieng and JD could drop back if needed

The same team that got a very credible point at high flying Morecambe.. is anyone really surprised not to see much change? Also, PB has spent one day with the group, barely anytime at all to come in and make sweeping changes.
I’m not complaining about the team, I have no problem with it. But you can’t complain about the team not being attacking enough on Tuesday and then praise pretty much the exact same selection today.

I’m not complaining about the team, I have no problem with it. But you can’t complain about the team not being attacking enough on Tuesday and then praise pretty much the exact same selection today.

People moaned about the team before the game on Tuesday.. before seeing a battling performance in which we did our fair share of attacking. It certainly surprised me and therefore I’ve got no problem with seeing it again this afternoon. That said, the bench looks incredibly strong in an attacking sense.

People moaned about the team before the game on Tuesday.. before seeing a battling performance in which we did our fair share of attacking. It certainly surprised me and therefore I’ve got no problem with seeing it again this afternoon. That said, the bench looks incredibly strong in an attacking sense.
Yeah the bench looks good. Although ANG has offered a lot more than Goodship this season so a little disappointed to see him completely dropped. (Presuming he isn’t injured)

Back