• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Southend United v Dorking Wanderers, Saturday 18th December, 15:00ko, FA Trophy (R3)

Starting XI and Result

• Steve Arnold (now confirmed as unavailable)

Votes: 8 11.3%
  • Collin Andeng-Ndi

Votes: 40 56.3%
  • Jason Demetriou

Votes: 36 50.7%
  • John White

Votes: 28 39.4%
  • Shaun Hobson

Votes: 49 69.0%
  • Kacper Łopata

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • Nathan Ralph

Votes: 48 67.6%
  • Tom Clifford

Votes: 41 57.7%
  • James Dunne

Votes: 11 15.5%
  • Nathan Ferguson

Votes: 28 39.4%
  • Abu Ogogo (now confirmed as unavailable)

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Lewis Gard

Votes: 46 64.8%
  • Will Atkinson

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • Zak Brunt

Votes: 46 64.8%
  • Terrell Egbri

Votes: 13 18.3%
  • Louis Walsh

Votes: 34 47.9%
  • Matt Dennis

• Rhys Murphy

Votes: 49 69.0%
  • Sam Dalby

Votes: 47 66.2%
  • Matt Rush

Votes: 19 26.8%
  • Harry Phillips

• Harry Seaden

Votes: 11 15.5%
  • Rob Howard

Votes: 2 2.8%

Votes: 2 2.8%

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Win

• Draw

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Lose

Votes: 30 42.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shrimpergonzo

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver⭐
Staff member
Well, this really is a season of "firsts" for Southend fans, but not in a good way. This Saturday sees our first ever appearance in the FA Trophy, which Wikipedia tells me is "competed for primarily by semi-professional teams". Given the latest rumours (some fully substantiated) of unpaid wages, unpaid taxes, broken showers, broken gym equipment and lack of sufficient medical staff - to describe Southend United as "semi-professional" actually seems quite a generous description!

Anyway, as a "Step 1" non-league club, we're one of the big boys in the competition and this is probably our only chance of making it to Wembley this season.

Our opponents this Saturday, Dorking Wanderers, are the latest in a line of teams we've never played before and never thought we would. They ply their trade one level down from us in the National League South - the same division as Chelmsford City, Braintree Town, Billericay Town (currently the bottom 3 placed teams) and Concord Rangers, and Wanderers are currently in the last play off position having won their last two games.

Dorking have a mix of older ex-league players (e.g. Luke Moore, Barry Fuller) and exciting young players such as forward Alfie Rutherford who scored a hat-trick on Tuesday night in a 4-2 win away at league leaders Oxford City. They also recently signed goalkeeper Dan Lincoln who also plays first-class cricket for Kent! There will be a familiar face in the opposition dugout as Mark Beard, who was sat in there with Stockport earlier this season, is now head of coaching at Dorking Wanderers.

As for blues, there seems to be so much negativity around at the moment, both on and off the field, and last week's away defeat along with the concussion injury to Steve Arnold and Kacper Łopata's return to the Blades to assess his injury have not helped matters.

The fact that no senior or fringe players were involved in the Essex Senior Cup game on Wednesday night would seem to suggest that a strong team will be selected on Saturday afternoon. But who would you select and what do you think the result will be?

Last edited:
Anyone know how many tickets sold?Usually last games before Christmas have poor attendances.Would be surprised if we get over 2000

Thank god we played all those u23 teams pre season. This will be a breeze, playing a team at this level

Bought tickets for this a month or so ago which I now slightly regret tbh as I'm sadly not expecting a win in this one but could be pleasantly surprised.

Oh lord what have we become

Have no idea who will play, what Dorking are like but I haven't been this unmotivated to attend a game at roots hall in as long as I can remember.

I will probably go for something to do, but it's a complete non fixture.

Watching blues has not been something I look forward to for a very long time and my support is wavering. I never thought that would be the case.

I can see that the ticket sales thing is back up and running and showing ticket sales at 4700 odd for the Dorking. Surely that is incorrect.

Its also showing the Barnet match as 5700 odd as well. I would imagine of that's true it could be out highest attendance of the season, with a sizeable barnet support.

I can see that the ticket sales thing is back up and running and showing ticket sales at 4700 odd for the Dorking. Surely that is incorrect.

Its also showing the Barnet match as 5700 odd as well. I would imagine of that's true it could be out highest attendance of the season, with a sizeable barnet support.
I think there's a glitch in the algorithm for this particular game. If you look at the numbers sold, 3582 are in the West Stand which is not even open for this game. I would suggest therefore that the 1090 you get from taking this off the number sold is much nearer the true figure.

@Spaceman Spiff is very much the expert on this and I'll let him comment further on the matter.

How far have we sunk ! Can't get the least bit excited.......Even felt envious when watching Barrow in the FA cup last night

It's definitely a game for the hard core fans. I probably won't even bother listening to it on the radio, zero interest.

An easy on for me to miss which, like I've said before, pains me even saying that. I never thought I would be missing a game that I could go to but just not worth the stress anymore. I'll be back for the league games over xmas but a little break is needed.

Nobody has come up with a suggested starting XI yet, so here's mine for starters:

Andeng-Ndi

Demetriou White Hobson Ralph

Dunne

Gard Brunt

Rush Dalby Murphy

We're at home against a team from the league below, let's trust our back 4 to protect the keeper and go for it up front. Hopefully our full-time fitness levels should win the day and if we can score some goals we might even go home with a smile on our face for the last game before Christmas.

…………Andeng Ndi
Demi … Hobson… White .. Ralph
…………….. Ferguson
……… Phillips ……Gard
………………… Brunt
…………. Murphy Dalby

Attempting a diamond in midfield. White and Hobson swapping at centre-back so Hobson is on his preferred right side and White has the pace of Ralph to cover him.

I’m not sure Phillips is available though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back