• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Southend United v Dover, Tuesday 2nd November, 7:45pm, NL

Starting XI and Result

• Steve Arnold

Votes: 109 80.1%
  • Jason Demetriou

Votes: 16 11.8%
  • Rob Howard

Votes: 91 66.9%
  • John White

Votes: 68 50.0%
  • Shaun Hobson

Votes: 60 44.1%
  • Kacper Łopata

Votes: 111 81.6%
  • Charlie Sayers

Votes: 49 36.0%
  • Nathan Ralph

Votes: 63 46.3%
  • James Dunne

• Nathan Ferguson

Votes: 87 64.0%
  • Harry Phillips

Votes: 33 24.3%
  • Jack Bridge

Votes: 96 70.6%
  • Zak Brunt

Votes: 107 78.7%
  • Terrell Egbri

Votes: 17 12.5%
  • Louis Walsh

• Simeon Akinola

Votes: 6 4.4%
  • Matt Dennis

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • Rhys Murphy

Votes: 65 47.8%
  • Sam Dalby

Votes: 97 71.3%
  • Matt Rush

Votes: 39 28.7%
  • Harry Seaden

Votes: 1 0.7%

• Win

Votes: 81 59.6%
  • Draw

Votes: 17 12.5%
  • Lose

Votes: 13 9.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
No Demi or Ralph,so for my two bobs worth i can see maybe two changes,but i would certainly just go with either a 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1 formaion.
Arnold , Howard,, Hobson, Lopata,,,Sayers
Walsh, Brunt, Ferguson, Bridge
Murphy , Rush.
subs Seaden White, Philips, Dalby, Dennis or Kinali.

4231 . Same back four midfield of Ferguson , Philips
Walsh , Brunt bridge
Murphy ,
subsm WhIte, Dunne, Rush, Dennis, Kinali'

This is the day of the great reset. A new beginning, the start of better things to come. We will win this game 2-0.
Dover may be expecting a cliff hanger of a game but this time it’s a comfortable win for the mighty blues.

Last edited:
What about a Liverpool style 433

Arnold
Howard kasper White Sayers
Brunt ferguson Philips
Walsh Murphy Bridge

Subs
Hobson Dunne Dalby Dennis egbiri

This will be the third game for the new management team. The first two were testing affairs; away to Dagenham (8th) and Boreham Wood (1st). Tonight we face fellow strugglers Dover in a game that might well define the season.
A failure to win would not see us placed in a precarious position ( albeit with still thirty one games to play ) but also give us and the management team some idea of whether the present squad have enough about them to help us climb out of this mess, or, whether total reconstructive surgery is required.
A good win would release some pressure and give us realistic hope for the rest of the season.
Here's hoping and UTB!

Dover might be pony on paper, but looking at their results, most have been closer than the table makes out.

I feel like it might be a scrappy encounter tonight, which we hopefully edge 1-0.

We need to start fast and more importantly, start being clinical in front of goal.

Anything other than 3 points doesn’t bare thinking about.

Dover might be pony on paper, but looking at their results, most have been closer than the table makes out.

I feel like it might be a scrappy encounter tonight, which we hopefully edge 1-0.

We need to start fast and more importantly, start being clinical in front of goal.

Anything other than 3 points doesn’t bare thinking about.
I agree, I've been looking at their results for the season and yes they've been spanked a few times but in other games, they've scored a few goals, something we can't do. I believe it's 1 goal in 6 league games. It doesn't matter how we perform if we can't put the ball in the net.

Ultimately, there's a decent chance we can get 3 points tonight. We have to take it!

Personally I cannot stand us playing in a 3-5-2 formation because we simply cannot play that way. I was fully expecting to see the back of it against Daggers, but there it was. I was even more certain we'd see the back of it against Boreham Wood, but there it was again. I have no idea what Maher's seeing to think this is a good bet for us.

Anyone who went to Daggers can tell that Tyrell had no idea how to play in that position, he didn't know when to go and when not too. It meant he was constantly defending without actually defending. He had their left back really high up the pitch but couldn't challenge him because if he did, it would mean the left winger he was marking would be in acres of space, this happened constantly and was so easy for Daggers that it was disgraceful. Playing this formation you'd expect one of the CM's to drift over and help, but of course, they didn't, meaning it was two against one the whole game. This is just one example of why we cannot play this formation IMO.

I also feel a bit sorry for Jack Bridge. As far as I'm aware he's a AM, yet is playing as a wing back. He's done a pretty good job of it considering but considering we needed a AM, why not give Bridge the chance? I'm not complaining about Brunt coming in but it just doesn't make sense playing players out of positions.

We set up 532 at Borehamwood presumably to not get mullered again and maybe sneak a point. We had one guy on the pitch who can pass (Brunt) but nobody for him to pass to. We had one shot on target (from 30 yards from a free kick). We can’t, and I’m sure we won’t, go into a game like this set up like that.

I voted 'draw' because I couldn't stomach putting us down for a loss and can't see a win. Hopefully I am wrong... but Dover are awful and in need of a win... and how many times have we played a team in dire need of 3 points, for us to do them that courtesy over the past 3 seasons?
Hi,
We now have the Maher, Currie, Bentley Factor.
I am looking at this game to be our turn round. Onwards and Upwards from here.
COYB,UTB

Huge game , make no mistake about it if we don;t win tonight there can no denying we will be in for a relegation battle for the remainder of the season .

This is the game where Kev and co have to be more tactically astute and do whatever it takes to win the game, personally id go for pace and intensity and really step on the front foot , the boy at the back should instill a bit of confidence that we can go forward without fear of being dangerously exposed at the back

My first game of the season and can;t wait

We obviously want to play Brunt and I don't see him in a 2 man midfield. its the argument that goes all the way back to Payne. And actually it's worse now in that so many teams will have 3 in the CM area so if we go 442 and with a number 10 I am afraid that simply wont work (even with a Lenny in there and we don't even close have a Lenny)

So 4231 if we want 4 at the back or (more likely) 352 especially as thats what lopata is used to as well.

The creativity then comes from
- who do you play as wing backs (the nearest to an actual wing back is Ralph). The other FBs in there make us more defensive. If we are going to be more offensive Bridge & Egbri.
- If you play attacking WBs then probably the two other CMs need to be more holding giving the WBs a little more freedom. But you could put or play another CM in a more creative advanced role

So

Arnold
Hobson Lopata White
Egbri Ferguson Brunt Dunne Bridge
Dalby Murphy

Last edited:
If most season ticket holders turn up, we could see 5000 at the Hall tonight... My second game of season , expecting to see a massive improvement and the players to start fighting for my club's badge.

Weather is good and heading up to Southend early doors to have a few beers in town in the afternoon.

Need a few beers these days to watch my beloved Southend United FC :-)

The reason we are persisting with 3-5-2/5-3-2 at the moment is simple. Our midfield is too weak to not have three players in the centre. I suppose you could go 4-5-1 but people moaned about that last year too and you would have to choose beween Murphy and Dalby, both of whom will score goals if given any kind of service.

I do agree though that while it is the lesser of many evils, it is not an effective formation for us when you don't have actual wing backs. We are trying to shoehorn Bridge and Egbri there and as matty says, it doesn't work.

I believe the coaching team will be trying to ditch this as soon as possible, but they've had less than a fortnight in charge so clearly it's going to take a little while to transition to the way they will want to play.

Personally, until we can find a midfielder that can cover the sort of ground, and is defensively robust enough, that allows you to play a two in the middle, I think we're stuck with either 3-5-2 or 4-5-1. It's what most teams play these days anyway. 4-4-2 is dying out.

We are travelling away each game because we support our club, because we want the team to win, to give us something to cheer about.
Give us the tools to work with, give us something to cheer about.

Now Listen, and listen good. Myself and other fans who travel away to many games may not be blessed with earning a good wage, were most of your money is accounted for before you even think about watching football. Where the cost of fuel can cost you £50 where tickets cost you £40 where food will cost you £10 for an away game.

And then you watch a game the other side of the country where the players don't play well, can't play well, or can't be bothered because they had a rough night the night before or they won't play for the manager.

Then fcuk yes, I WILL shout my displeasure at those players that are not working as hard as I do to earn the money to go and watch them play at being lazy kits.

Equally I will cheer the team on, all the way to the end, if they are pulling their plums out for the badge.

Rant over.
TOTALLY agree with this post.

I will be making the Journey from Lowestoft and my Son from Griston to see a good win for the once mighty Shrimpers..

We obviously want to play Brunt and I don't see him in a 2 man midfield. its the argument that goes all the way back to Payne. And actually it's worse now in that so many teams will have 3 in the CM area so if we go 442 and with a number 10 I am afraid that simply wont work (even with a Lenny in there and we don't even close have a Lenny)

So 4231 if we want 4 at the back or (more likely) 352 especially as thats what lopata is used to as well.

The creativity then comes from
- who do you play as wing backs (the nearest to an actual wing back is Ralph). The other FBs in there make us more defensive. If we are going to be more offensive Bridge & Egbri.
- If you play attacking Was then probably the two other CMs need to be more holding giving the WBs a little more freedom. But you could put or play another CM in a more creative advanced role

So

Arnold
Hobson Lopata White
Egbri Ferguson Brunt Dunne Bridge
Dalby Murphy
We get exposed behind when playing Egbri/Bridge. Its happened all season, but I agree 352 is probably here to stay.

its the midfield 3 thats the problem and getting out to wide areas without leaving gaping holes.

Dunne for Sayers and put Bridge in the MF 3 as he has the engine to get around the pitch and Howard for Egbri. Rush for Murphy.

Supporting from Poland tonight.... Good luck Shrimpers ..... a must win big 3 point!!

Been supporting Southend for 41 years, many of those Home and Away. The last four seasons have seen some of the lowest moments supporting The Blues:

Relegation to the NL
followed by
Draw at Wealdstone
Losing to Aldershot at H
Losing to Torquay A
Followed by an even worse defeat away at Solihull
Defeats to Daggers and Boreham Wood that has left us in the relegation zone.

Weve missed one away game this season, that being Halifax, so the last 5 weve been through has seen 1 point and no goals scored. Im tired, frustrated, angry, confused you name it. When will this pain end. It has to tonight. If Dover at home is added to that list above then im seriously worried for our chances of staying up. This team is absolutely void of any confidence. We must get a win, dont care if its a scrappy 1-0, 3 points are 3 points. I fully support Kev, Darren and Benno but feel the longer our winless run continues the harder the job will become, but accept they must be given time. Survival is a must and priority this season, nothing more, nothing less

Not sure what is happening with the @StanleyVictorCollymore situ but hope it gets resolved sooner rather than later as we need this recruitment guy in asap. Im cheered by the fact that Stan is still vocal and attending games which suggests its not a dead deal

Tonight, the fans have a huge part to play. Atmosphere was dead Saturday as it was at Daggers and Solihull, there seems to be an acceptance that we will concede and lose. The team tonight need our full backing for 90 mins

Re the team - hoping its a 4411

Arnold,
Howard, Kasper, White, Sayers
Walsh Fergie Dunne Bridge
Brunt
Dalby

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back