• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Southend United v Dover, Tuesday 2nd November, 7:45pm, NL

Starting XI and Result

• Steve Arnold

Votes: 109 80.1%
  • Jason Demetriou

Votes: 16 11.8%
  • Rob Howard

Votes: 91 66.9%
  • John White

Votes: 68 50.0%
  • Shaun Hobson

Votes: 60 44.1%
  • Kacper Łopata

Votes: 111 81.6%
  • Charlie Sayers

Votes: 49 36.0%
  • Nathan Ralph

Votes: 63 46.3%
  • James Dunne

• Nathan Ferguson

Votes: 87 64.0%
  • Harry Phillips

Votes: 33 24.3%
  • Jack Bridge

Votes: 96 70.6%
  • Zak Brunt

Votes: 107 78.7%
  • Terrell Egbri

Votes: 17 12.5%
  • Louis Walsh

• Simeon Akinola

Votes: 6 4.4%
  • Matt Dennis

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • Rhys Murphy

Votes: 65 47.8%
  • Sam Dalby

Votes: 97 71.3%
  • Matt Rush

Votes: 39 28.7%
  • Harry Seaden

Votes: 1 0.7%

• Win

Votes: 81 59.6%
  • Draw

Votes: 17 12.5%
  • Lose

Votes: 13 9.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hoping for a 4-4-2 or a variation of this:

Arnold;

Howard, White, Lopata, Sayers;

Egbri, Ferguson, Phillips/Dunne, Bridge;

Murphy, Dalby.
Bit harsh on Brunt after his performance at the weekend. Looking like he could make things happen after only a day of training with his new teammates.

I do feel 352 or 4231 suit our personnel better at the moment.

Bit harsh on Brunt after his performance at the weekend. Looking like he could make things happen after only a day of training with his new teammates.

I do feel 352 or 4231 suit our personnel better at the moment.

True but I think him coming on as a sub and finding space against tiring defences would be better.

We shall see!

Shape is key in this one. We're a bit weak in certain areas and may need to double up to avoid being exposed. Wouldn't be too surprised to see 5 at the back for this one as well

I think we just need to turn over an opposition team for the first time this season, solid 3 or 4-0 and we'll see the confidence in our squad lift massively.

We went close vs Wrexham and on another day when Ralph doesn't get concussed we probably win 2 or 3-0. Just think how that would have changed our course.

But we're going to have to work very hard to get anything out of anyone we face. Hoping for a comprehensive victory tonight to lift everyone's spirits but it won't be gifted to us.

Surely we must get a win tonight against a team who have won zilch so far this season.

5-1 it is then. :LoyalSupporter: :Stunned:

My choice 11 for tonight (4-2-3-1):
Arnold

Howard Hobson Lopata Sayers

Ferguson Phillips

Bridge Brunt Walsh

Dalby

Bench: Rush, Murphy, Dunne, White, Egbri

Murphy needs to be dropped, light a fire under him because he's not at his best. Needs to stay on his feet and be more honest to win favour of NL refs. Putting him on the bench next to Rush should be a reminder there's a young hungry player with enough ability to rival his place in the team.

Dalby up front on his own but emphasis on Brunt, Bridge and Walsh being close support so he can bring them into play with their trickery.

Ferguson gets the nod ahead of Dunne for me. Vastly more athletic and physical, should be able to shuttle between the boxes and *when* he works hard he recycles the ball well. Should he play tonight his role is pivotal in deciding the result.

Rest of the team explains itself through necessity or ability. Hobson can look like Bambi on ice sometimes but when playing the game simply, he does the job.

Hopefully season ticket holders will turn up and we see over 5,000 gate tonight

Let's be honest that's an excellent turn out
Given how bad the football has been for many seasons and how this season has begun its outstanding! Shows that even if the club deserves to be in this division the fans don't

Same result as when we played Chertsey and i will be over the moon ,But beware Dover are not going to lay down,a win will need to be fought hard for .

My choice 11 for tonight (4-2-3-1):
Arnold

Howard Hobson Lopata Sayers

Ferguson Phillips

Bridge Brunt Walsh

Dalby

Bench: Rush, Murphy, Dunne, White, Egbri

Murphy needs to be dropped, light a fire under him because he's not at his best. Needs to stay on his feet and be more honest to win favour of NL refs. Putting him on the bench next to Rush should be a reminder there's a young hungry player with enough ability to rival his place in the team.

Dalby up front on his own but emphasis on Brunt, Bridge and Walsh being close support so he can bring them into play with their trickery.

Ferguson gets the nod ahead of Dunne for me. Vastly more athletic and physical, should be able to shuttle between the boxes and *when* he works hard he recycles the ball well. Should he play tonight his role is pivotal in deciding the result.

Rest of the team explains itself through necessity or ability. Hobson can look like Bambi on ice sometimes but when playing the game simply, he does the job.
I don’t hate it but that would be one of the most inexperienced line-ups we’ve ever fielded.
Howard, Sayers, Walsh, Brunt, Lopata, Phillips have 18 starts between them - and that’s over half the side.
Dalby has 31 and Hobson 70 would be relatively veterans despite fewer starts combined than Elvis. For that reason even I think you need to sprinkle in some experience with White and probably Dunne (as the lesser of two evils when it’s between him and Atkinson).

Hoping this game is easily won. Front foot, attacking play from the off, a chance to give the old boy, Murphy a rest? Time to get Rush playing off Dalby and Walsh, Bridge and Brunt providing service through to goal. Lopta header - back of the net tonight. If we can't go all out attack against Dover tonight, then we might aswell just give up on this season. UTB!!!!

We get exposed behind when playing Egbri/Bridge. Its happened all season, but I agree 352 is probably here to stay.

its the midfield 3 thats the problem and getting out to wide areas without leaving gaping holes.

Dunne for Sayers and put Bridge in the MF 3 as he has the engine to get around the pitch and Howard for Egbri. Rush for Murphy.
Agree. But it was interesting listening to Mica Richards talking about 352 at man city in Mancini's time. Basically the WBs would be told to push on. On the counter the two defensive CM job was to fill back to allow the R/L CB to cover the FB position or for the defensive CM to do it. He expected his Was to be more advanced the the CMs.

Thing is the system needs to relentlessly rehearsed and everyone know and stick to their roles.

The worst thing would be to play with 352 for a few games not perfect it then revert to something else that doesn't work either.

I don’t hate it but that would be one of the most inexperienced line-ups we’ve ever fielded.
Howard, Sayers, Walsh, Brunt, Lopata, Phillips have 18 starts between them - and that’s over half the side.
Dalby has 31 and Hobson 70 would be relatively veterans despite fewer starts combined than Elvis. For that reason even I think you need to sprinkle in some experience with White and probably Dunne (as the lesser of two evils when it’s between him and Atkinson).
Suppose I'm picking on witnessed ability rather than experience and gamesmanship. If we have to suffer Dunne then I suppose we lose Harry Phillips because I feel Fergy has more to give.

As for White, suppose if Lopata can protect him then it's a shout. I feel we need to keep a high-energy high-pressure approach tonight to put Dover under and the more youthful the lineup, the better we might achieve that.

Also add up the number of career goals the 6 in font of the back 4 have scored. Just as we used to do when MM had his Southend 0 line-ups. Goals per minutes from that lot will tell you not to expect too money goals...regrettably. Meanwhile the one proven goalscorer looks on...well both of them if you include Rush. And that is at home versus Dover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back