• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Southend United v Dover, Tuesday 2nd November, 7:45pm, NL

Starting XI and Result

• Steve Arnold

Votes: 109 80.1%
  • Jason Demetriou

Votes: 16 11.8%
  • Rob Howard

Votes: 91 66.9%
  • John White

Votes: 68 50.0%
  • Shaun Hobson

Votes: 60 44.1%
  • Kacper Łopata

Votes: 111 81.6%
  • Charlie Sayers

Votes: 49 36.0%
  • Nathan Ralph

Votes: 63 46.3%
  • James Dunne

• Nathan Ferguson

Votes: 87 64.0%
  • Harry Phillips

Votes: 33 24.3%
  • Jack Bridge

Votes: 96 70.6%
  • Zak Brunt

Votes: 107 78.7%
  • Terrell Egbri

Votes: 17 12.5%
  • Louis Walsh

• Simeon Akinola

Votes: 6 4.4%
  • Matt Dennis

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • Rhys Murphy

Votes: 65 47.8%
  • Sam Dalby

Votes: 97 71.3%
  • Matt Rush

Votes: 39 28.7%
  • Harry Seaden

Votes: 1 0.7%

• Win

Votes: 81 59.6%
  • Draw

Votes: 17 12.5%
  • Lose

Votes: 13 9.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree. But it was interesting listening to Mica Richards talking about 352 at man city in Mancini's time. Basically the WBs would be told to push on. On the counter the two defensive CM job was to fill back to allow the R/L CB to cover the FB position or for the defensive CM to do it. He expected his Was to be more advanced the the CMs.

Thing is the system needs to relentlessly rehearsed and everyone know and stick to their roles.

The worst thing would be to play with 352 for a few games not perfect it then revert to something else that doesn't work either.
Yup, this is what I mean about our MF not being athletic enough to get around the field. If the wing backs are bombing up and down, when they 'up' a midfielder needs to shuffle across to fill in the gap behind a WB, which I cant see Dunne, Ferguson or Ogogo doing (but can see Bridge and to a degree, Phillps doing).

Its a complex old system to play right 352 and not just a given if you stick players that seem to fit the round holes in it will be ok. We've been found out a lot of times this season playing it (look how many goals we've let in with opponents getting crosses in behind Bridge on our left), so yea, our squad probably leaves us with little option but to play 352, but it needs work!

I DO understand the thinking of a 3 5 2 or a 5 3 2 system, certainly it makes conceding less likely BUT it does stifle our attack options.
AND, surely no'one who has watched our players can be serious on thinking any of them (other than injured Ralph) are capable of playing as effective wing backs?
Keep it simple, get some width running into flanks/corners, get forwards supported.

I DO understand the thinking of a 3 5 2 or a 5 3 2 system, certainly it makes conceding less likely BUT it does stifle our attack options.
AND, surely no'one who has watched our players can be serious on thinking any of them (other than injured Ralph) are capable of playing as effective wing backs?
Keep it simple, get some width running into flanks/corners, get forwards supported.
Could not agree more. Get hold of the ball, get it wide, get those crosses in, back of the net. Simples

I might be tempted to revert to 3 at the back only once Demetriou & Ralph are fit again , as they would be superb wing backs.

For now , i'd go for the Diamond :

---------------------ARNOLD----------------------
HOBSON------WHITE-------LOPATA-------SAYERS
--------------------FERGUSON--------------------
-----------PHILLIPS-----------BRIDGE------------
---------------------BRUNT-----------------------
----------DALBY-------------MURPHY------------

bench: WALSH, DENNIS, HOWARD, DUNNE, SEADEN

Give Ferguson the responsibility that he is the holding man. Nothing gets past him. Sit in & allow Hobo & especially Sayers to attack the flanks. Phillips & Bridge buzzing, probing & creating. Get Brunt on the ball in a free role weaving his magic & making space for the strikers to bang in a few to lift our spirits & our confidence.
Score in the early 10 mins & we will smash in 7 !!!!! COME ON SOUTHEND!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone else really not confident about tonight?

I have a ticket but I'm genuinely too scared to go (plus i'd be going on my own) ... Think i'd rather go for a walk and follow on Twitter with everything crossed.

Having not been to Roots Hall since pre covid but going tonight, can you still get a ticket at the gate for the West stand?

The reason we are persisting with 3-5-2/5-3-2 at the moment is simple. Our midfield is too weak to not have three players in the centre.
That would make sense if our defence wasn't also so weak and easily exposed. I firmly stand by stating that if you just sit back and invite pressure on your eventually going to become unstuck, hence whats happened throughout the whole season so far. We're no good at the back, shocking in midfield and not much better up front. All goes to show how pathetic the recruitment was in the summer. I genuinely believe Maher and co cannot coach the vast majority of these players because they simply do not have the talent or skill set. The only thing he can get them doing is working hard and being organised and pray we stay up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back