• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Back in September, we won 4-2 away at their "gaff" and I was not happy that we didn't try to score more (and we let in a 2nd against 10 men). Hindsight is so wonderful that we now know that those defensive frailties have continued unabashed. Goals from Cox, MacL, Ranger and MacG with Wright making his 1st appearance for Southend.

Same again on Saturday please! :smile:

Oxley

Turner. Kyp. Ferdinand
Demi. Coker
Fortune Timlin Yearwood
Cox
Wabo.

Fight and bite.
Thats the best defence we can manage,Hoping Kyp can learn quickly from the other two/four and without Lenny,Timlin has to to be worth a place in midfield,but Fortune’ midfielder?Wabo targetman? You’ve got to be joking!

I'm loosing the will to be arsed with Southend, which is saying something. Season ticket holder for around 20 of the last 30 years, approaching 70'plus grounds following the blues etc etc

Feely like 97 to 03 all over again....

But for what is is worth

Oxley
Demi Ferdinand Turner Coker
McGlashan Timlin Kightly McLaughlin
Cox Fortune

not a good side..but best 11 we can put out

Strangely, I don't have a pressing need to join the ranks of deep depression/can't be arsed/never again expressed in this thread. I sort of understand why folk feel like that but whenever a home game beckons I get a huge chunk of optimism coursing through my veins and really hope to see the Southend side giving 100% effort and winning. Ok, now is not a good time and PB is definitely not top of my favourite people, but when the team cross the line onto the pitch I can't help but get excited.

As to what the team may be, I will just have to wait and see on Saturday.

I'd go 3-5-2 (if fit)

Oxley

Ferdinand - Turner - Kyprianou

Demetriou - Kightly - Wordsworth - Timlin - Coker

Fortune - Cox

My forecast is 0-2 Bolger (2) from set pieces
Celebration for the second to being running up to the directors box, Ron giving him Phil's P45 and coming down the stairs to hand it to him while laughing in his face.

Would love to see Elvis and Wabo get a start. We need a goal scorer quickly and i was very impressed with Elvis when he got a start in his last game. So did Shrimperzone. Kightly, Wordsworth and Yearwood just havent been up to scratch so i wouldnt start them. Demi i would play on rhs of midfield and Stephen Mc on the left. Wright and Timlin through the middle with Wabo and Cox upfront. Coker at left back and Turner and White in the middle of the back four.

I really don’t want to see Kyprianou dropped in all honesty. Yeah he had a shocker, but he’s a young lad and it would be better to let him play his way out of it rather than dent his confidence even more after last week. He was brilliant before his injury and the sooner we get that player back the better.

So I would hope...

Oxley
Demetriou, Turner, Kyprianou, Coker
Kightly, Yearwood, Timlin, McLaughlin
Cox Wabo/Fortune

Would like to see Wabo start ahead of Fortune, but I reckon Brown knows he desperately needs a result here otherwise it’s likely to be the end for him, so fully expecting him to not take any risks and play it safe.

Agreed on Kyps, but with PB on borrowed time, he'll almost certainly pick what he sees as his most experienced and reliable team.

Just think without Leonard we haven't the players to play 4-4-2.

Wordsworth just doesn't get through enough work for me in order to play conventional (almost luxury at moment) wide players like McLoughlin, McGlashan etc and therefore at moment you need to try and find a way to play 3 players in the middle of the park so you don't get over-run like we have recently.

Only way I can see you doing that is a change of formation which us why I'm advocating 3-5-2 than can be tweaked into a 5-4-1 when necessary without changing personnel. The two full backs become your wide players and frankly in Demetriou and Coker they have probably been our most consistently dangerous wide players for some time. I also like the balance of Ferdinand (reading the game), Turner (heading) and Kyp (speed) as a back three as they all have different attributes, it looks balanced and hopefully they can make up for each other's shortcomings! When you backs are to the wall Coker and Demetriou can make a five and Cox can drop in behind Fortune to make a four. I think we could potentially have more of the ball in this formation, defend a lot deeper and consequently be hard to break down. We'll always get chances if we are patient. Bring on a bit of pace in the last 15 mins if you want with Wabo or Ba to replace a tiring Fortune who will need to lead the line for 70/75 mins.

IMO it is the senior players who have got us in a spot of bother - they need to get us out of it!

Good post, that.

I like the idea of 3-5-2 as well, but I'd actually prefer Hendrie to Coker in that system at home. His pace and crossing ability is above Coker's level, for me.

Good post, that.

I like the idea of 3-5-2 as well, but I'd actually prefer Hendrie to Coker in that system at home. His pace and crossing ability is above Coker's level, for me.

i agree with you on most things Andy but sorry can't have Hendrie ahead of Coker home or away. In fact since he has come back for his second spell with us I don't have Hendrie ahead of Timlin, Demetriou or even White in that role on the left.

Not sure I rate Adam Thompson as highly as you either. His turning circle to me was almost as big as Ferdinand's and yet he must be about 7 or 8 years younger! I've always thought he'd do well to earn a living in L2 never mind L1.

In all honesty things arent great at the moment but we normally perform much better at the hall and can only see us winning!! 2-0 blues

i agree with you on most things Andy but sorry can't have Hendrie ahead of Coker home or away. In fact since he has come back for his second spell with us I don't have Hendrie ahead of Timlin, Demetriou or even White in that role on the left.

Not sure I rate Adam Thompson as highly as you either. His turning circle to me was almost as big as Ferdinand's and yet he must be about 7 or 8 years younger! I've always thought he'd do well to earn a living in L2 never mind L1.

As a left-back, I would rate Coker higher, yes, but not as a wing-back, IMHO 'Brett'.

Coker is too stop-start going forward and over complicates things on the ball and also is an average crosser. Hendrie can deliver on the run at pace and cause a lot more problems with that early delivery into the box, as he did a couple of times recently against Oldham.

Thommo, yep, I didn't overly rate him, myself, but he really grew alongside Ferdy.

Despite the general downer on our skipper, he has definitely brought out the best in both Thommo and Kyps alongside him.

Having seen Wabo at Sixfields and been impressed, I'd like to think that PB will start him alongside Fortune. PB should take Fortune aside and say something like "I'm putting the young lad Wabo up front with you. He's half your age and could have a big future ahead of him - remember what you were like at his age. I need a wise and experienced old head alongside him to nurture and encourage him and you're just the man - go out there and help him to shine."

It won't happen, of course.

This club has always been on a roller coaster, as my late dad said an average 4th division as it was then for the most part, rising to the dizzy heights of the 3rd on occasions, happy to get 2000 at times in the ground during the dark days of the late 60's and 70's. The last 20 years has had some highs and some lows, so nothings really changed, SUFC are what they are a reasonable lower league team
And that is why I love em and will continue to go - managers, players and chairmen come and go - but not us fans, we’re always there

It almost doesn't matter what side we put out tomorrow, confidence is low amongst the whole squad and management team and without some changes somewhere nothing is going to change.....

I remember going to a home game in 92...around November....playing what was championship football against Notts County...3,200 odd in the crowd for second tier football. Some had boycotted the game and were outside the ground chanting 'Jobson Out'....Colin Murphy...one of our worst managers of all time was at the helm with his indecipherable programme notes....things were at a real low...but the day before we had signed a youngster from Palace...If you were there at that game it was obvious from the first few minutes we had signed a star in the making....oh what we would give for a similar signing before Saturday!!!

Back