• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

It almost doesn't matter what side we put out tomorrow, confidence is low amongst the whole squad and management team and without some changes somewhere nothing is going to change.....

I remember going to a home game in 92...around November....playing what was championship football against Notts County...3,200 odd in the crowd for second tier football. Some had boycotted the game and were outside the ground chanting 'Jobson Out'....Colin Murphy...one of our worst managers of all time was at the helm with his indecipherable programme notes....things were at a real low...but the day before we had signed a youngster from Palace...If you were there at that game it was obvious from the first few minutes we had signed a star in the making....oh what we would give for a similar signing before Saturday!!!
I was there, and agree with you.

November 21st,1992, beat Notts County 3-1, two goals from Stan Collymore, & one from Steve Brown!

A respite from the teams at the top and the teams at the bottom Fleetwood only have 2 more points than us - so a nice comfortable home win against a mid table side who have also struggled after last season. But ..... games against Fleetwood -there have been 6 draws in 9 games, have always been close apart from our win up there in September as Ranger and Wordsworth were reunited and everything was clicking into place.

We shouldn't have anything to worry about then should we especially as they've only won 4 of their last 20 League games after winning 4 of their first 6. They've done OK in the cups though.

But since the transfer window opened we have lost 3 and they have signed Paddy Madden, regular thorn in our side, Toumani Diagouraga , turned Plymouth's season round since October and a lad from Everton Gethin Jones who played 17 games on loan to Barnsley last season in the Championship. So could be a lot stronger.

A small club funded by their owner -, a bit like Rushden and Diamonds whatever happened to them, -he reckons he wants them to be self sustaining ha ha. They may have to sell Devante Cole to balance the books. There other danger men are Jordy Hiwula-Mayifuila on loan from Huddersfield, Ashley Hunter the super sub and of course our man Cain Bolger.

Who plays for us? Might White -should be, and or Ferdinand- probably not, be fit? Might we have actually signed some one or more- please god?

He'll stick with experience
Oxley, Demetriou, Turner, White, Coker; Kightly, Timlin or new guy, Wordsworth, McLaughlin; Cox, Fortune.

I'd like to see him go young again to get some energy in there but I doubt he will.

So what will happen- if we go a goal down we wont win. I think they will go for the win and it will be 2-0 to them.

Oh and there's no trains between Shenfield and Southend Victoria on Saturday - so a change of route for me.

I can only see more doom and gloom for us ,that is unless RM s talk with the players somehow galvanises them and they decide to play as a unit with confidence and a belief in their abilities.:sad:

Just think without Leonard we haven't the players to play 4-4-2.

Wordsworth just doesn't get through enough work for me in order to play conventional (almost luxury at moment) wide players like McLoughlin, McGlashan etc and therefore at moment you need to try and find a way to play 3 players in the middle of the park so you don't get over-run like we have recently.

Only way I can see you doing that is a change of formation which us why I'm advocating 3-5-2 than can be tweaked into a 5-4-1 when necessary without changing personnel. The two full backs become your wide players and frankly in Demetriou and Coker they have probably been our most consistently dangerous wide players for some time. I also like the balance of Ferdinand (reading the game), Turner (heading) and Kyp (speed) as a back three as they all have different attributes, it looks balanced and hopefully they can make up for each other's shortcomings! When you backs are to the wall Coker and Demetriou can make a five and Cox can drop in behind Fortune to make a four. I think we could potentially have more of the ball in this formation, defend a lot deeper and consequently be hard to break down. We'll always get chances if we are patient. Bring on a bit of pace in the last 15 mins if you want with Wabo or Ba to replace a tiring Fortune who will need to lead the line for 70/75 mins.

IMO it is the senior players who have got us in a spot of bother - they need to get us out of it!

Good points there, but another option would be to look at how Shrewsbury set up, if I'm correct they play a 4-1-4-1 formation, with a ball winning CM in front of the two (in our case slow) CBs and also covering when our wing backs get forward (possibly Kyprianou, over Timlin playing that role) that is however with a strong work ethic, which I don't see in our team and even more so now that the only player who falls into that category left last week (and I'm not talking about Ranger).

Problem is that formation doesn't stack up with our squad, but at least it could enable Cox to become Game-keeper turned Poacher.
Ox
Demi AF Turner Coker
Kyprianou
McGlashan Timlin Kightly McLauglin
Cox​

Oh dear, perhaps not!

Desperate times

It almost doesn't matter what side we put out tomorrow, confidence is low amongst the whole squad and management team and without some changes somewhere nothing is going to change.....

I remember going to a home game in 92...around November....playing what was championship football against Notts County...3,200 odd in the crowd for second tier football. Some had boycotted the game and were outside the ground chanting 'Jobson Out'....Colin Murphy...one of our worst managers of all time was at the helm with his indecipherable programme notes....things were at a real low...but the day before we had signed a youngster from Palace...If you were there at that game it was obvious from the first few minutes we had signed a star in the making....oh what we would give for a similar signing before Saturday!!!

Can't disagree with that, Fitz! :smile:

Trying to be positive i'm going to go for 2-1 Southend.

Kightly & Cox the scorers

Well we've got till midday Friday to get someone in who could play on Saturday otherwise it seems it's going to be Timlin and Yearwood in centre midfield.

The boycott was mainly about Jobson threatening to move the club to Basildon but there was also unrest due to the lack of signing a forward that we desperately needed. Was it just a coincidence that a forward was signed the day before the boycott? I personally think not. So perhaps football club owners do listen to the fans when they are pushed.
Hopefully we might have some players in by Saturday but we seem to be dragging our feet as normal.

May upset a few, but it’s all about opinions, I’d take a heavy defeat, if it gets him the boot. And hope fresh ideas kickstart our season.

Remember that game, also recall moaning about us signing some lanky Palace reserve winger called Stanley Victor Collymore, what a pile of **** he turned out to be ! LOL!!! I'm sure that Judas claimed to has signed him too, even though it was that loon Murphy (remember the programme notes too)

it's a funny old game.

May upset a few, but it’s all about opinions, I’d take a heavy defeat, if it gets him the boot. And hope fresh ideas kickstart our season.

But I doubt it will. FWIW, I'd take 2 or 3 wins on the trot which I think will kickstart our season.

I predict Fleetwood will be suffering a cup hangover and probably ship 10 or 11 goals so my money is on a draw.

I think it's very sad that some people want to see us lose just so they can say they were proved right about Phil Brown and see him sacked. You are supposed to be Southend United fans, if you want to act like that go and 'follow' some Premier League team.

I hope to make it Saturday but depends on how big my birthday celebration is tomorrow night.
Whether I am there or not I hope we win, because I am a Southend fan and that is all that matters.

I did notice that Josh Bexon was in the unders game the other day, makes me think that he might usurp Nathan Bishop as sub goalie.

I think this is crying out for 3-5-2, with Coker and Demi as wing backs. Macca can play a more central role alongside Timlin, just not sure who else to put in the middle atm! I'd still start Cox, he's our most dangerous forward, but I think I'd like to see Wabo alongside him. One thing is for sure, having lost Ranger and Lenny, and now Woody to injury, we're going to be lacking height.

Back