• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Official Match Thread Southend United v Gillingham

The Big Dady

¡Viva la Kevolución! ⭐️ ⭐️
Staff member
The Official Match Thread brought to you by ShrimperZone.com

So here we are the fifteenth League One home game of the 2019/20 season and Sol Campbell’s seventh league home game in charge as manager of the Mighty Shrimpers.

Our fifteenth League One match at home is against Gillingham
SkyBet League One.jpg
SUFC.jpgVS.pngimage.png
It is now time for ALL of us to get behind him and the team whether you are at Roots Hall, listening on the radio, listening or watching on ifollow, make that famous "Roots Hall Roar.

Sol Campbell’s 8th Southend United League One Home Team of the 2019/20 season

ERFDaokXUAE9P7F.jpg

The Roots Hall pitch looks fantastic and is ready for action at 19.45pm Tuesday 18th February 2020 against Gillingham. It looks like we are going to have a windy evening at Roots Hall with gusty winds and some possible light rain. It will still feel cold so wrap up warm everyone.

ERE_jMIWsAIw8KS.jpg

ERE_jL3XUAASVSa.jpg

Here is the weather forecast for this evening at Roots Hall

SUFC v Gillingham Weather.jpg

Current League home record after 14 home games

Won 1
Drawn 4
Lost 9
Goals scored 13
Goals conceded 37

eague Positions Last Season

13th (2018/19 Season) League One Gillingham
19th (2018/19 Season) League One Southend United

League Positions Current Season

10th (2019/20 Season) League One Gillingham
22nd (2019/20 Season) League One Southend United

Recent League Position Change

SUFC v Gillingham Positions.jpg
Previous Five Meetings

Gillingham 3-1 Southend United (L1 05/10/19 Att. 5,091)
Southend United 2-0 Gillingham (L1 01/01/19 Att. 7,903)
Gillingham 0-2 Southend United (L1 13/10/18 Att. 5,584)
Southend United 4-0 Gillingham (L1 02/04/18 Att. 8,466)
Gillingham 2-1 Southend United (LTGr 29/08/17 Att. 1,549)

Head to Head record

Southend United Wins: 40
Draws: 32
Gillingham Wins: 47

Come On You Blues!

Managers Pre-match Views
Gillingham

Gillingham Manager Steve Evans talks to their OS before travelling to Roots Hall

Steve Evans.jpg
Gillingham’s Manager Steve Evans

Steve Evans answers a few questions following Saturday's 2-1 win over Doncaster.

Q: How satisfied were you with yesterday's result considering the conditions?

A1: The conditions were always going to make it difficult for both teams as the one weather element players hate is wind.

It was a superb result on the back of a long midweek journey to Blackpool.

I would like to dedicate the win to a a really good friend, and ex colleague of mine, Stuart Gray, who lost his battle with cancer yesterday morning.

Stuart has worked for me as a player and future opposition scout in my time at Crawley Town, Rotherham United, Leeds United, Mansfield Town and of course, until now at Peterborough United. I spoke with Darren Ferguson yesterday morning and we both agreed he was not only a great man, husband and Father but outstanding at his job. RIP my dear friend!

Q: We had to come from behind too but credit to the boys for digging in and for sticking to the game plan?

A2: The lads have been fantastic since last summer. Players and brilliant professionals like Ehmer, Fuller, O'Keefe and Lee are hard to get in today's modern football but the rest of our lads are following their lead and it's fantastic to work with them.

Q: Any victory is important but to do it against a side also chasing a top six place gives it extra significance?

A3: Every point or three in League 1 need to be earned and yesterday was no exception.

Rovers are a team with quality players and a super Manager so it was always going to be a close contest, but our almost near total dominance in the second period got the deserved victory.

Q: We are back in action against Southend on Tuesday. They are not in the best of form but will be scrapping for every point. What will be your message to the players ahead of this one?

A4: Bar the odd exception, Southend have been in every game they have played recently including yesterday's match against a strong Coventry City. They dominated for spells but lost to a team fighting for automatic promotion.

We will need to be much improved on Tuesday night versus yesterday if we are to get anything from the match. It will be tough, they have excellent players and the highest profile of any manager in our league.

Q: Alfie Jones missed out on Saturday. Does he have a chance of making the trip?

A5: Alfie is now very close to a return and I will make a decision on him after training tomorrow.

He is a top player who has been outstanding for us so it would be great to have him back.

Q: Geographically it's one of our closest away games. I'm sure you'll call on the fans to turn up in huge numbers to back the boys?

A6: I can ask no more of our supporters, they have been superb home and away.

Hopefully a number can make the journey as I know how much it means to all of us as we try and add to our points tally.

Link to full story
Link

Southend

Unfortunately Sol Campbell did not do a text interview with the OS, but he did do a video interview on iplayer which can be seen by following the link below

Sol Campbell OS.jpg

Link

EREeIblXUAU_YYq.jpg

Sol Campbell talks to Chris Phillips at the Echo before today’s game with Gillingham

Sol Campbell focusing on Southend United and not in-form Gillingham

Sol Campbell Echo.jpg
Focused - Southend United Manager Sol Campbell

Southend United boss Sol Campbell will be focusing on his own side and not in-form Gillingham ahead of tonight’s clash at Roots Hall.

Gills go into the game having not lost in the League since November.

But Campbell will only be concentrating on matters closer to home.

“For me, it’s all about how we approach the game,” said Campbell.

“They’re all tough and the main thing is to get our head right.

“We have to get our starting positions right and go from there.

“We’ve got half our academy players in there.

“They’re working hard and they’re trying their best and the experienced players are digging deep to help.

“But nothing is easy because of the situation we’re in.”

The Shrimpers should welcome back Stephen McLaughlin who missed Saturday’s defeat to Coventry City with a thigh problem but Jason Demetriou - who continues to manage a knee problem - may not start.

“Macca should be involved,” said Campbell.

“But JD might be on the bench and then be ready to go again on Saturday.”

However, striker Stephen Humphrys will definitely not play as he awaits surgery on his broken nose.

“It’s not done yet but he’s decided to get his nose corrected,” said Campbell.

“It’s causing discomfort and he’s already had a couple of consultations up in Manchester.

“Once that is done he will have an operation and that’s going to be three to six weeks.

“He has a few plates around the cheekbone and he wants to allow it to settle down.

“After that he will have to wear a mask.”

Humphrys also suffered a broken nose, cheekbone and eye socket at Accrington Stanley last February.

Defender Joe Shaughnessy is closing in on a comeback from a knee injury but is not quite ready to return and will also miss out tonight.

Link to full story
Link

Sol Campbell talks to Chris Phillips at the Echo before today’s game with Gillingham

Southend United boss Sol Campbell enduring his toughest ever spell as manager

Sol Campbell Echo 2.jpg
Frustrated - Southend United manager Sol Campbell

United boss Sol Campbell feels his is facing his toughest ever time as a manager.

Campbell was in charge of crisis club Macclesfield Town before being coming to Blues last October.

But, speaking ahead of tonight’s League One clash with Gillingham at Roots Hall, Campbell insists he is now facing a trickier test with the Shrimpers.

“This is the toughest it’s been for me in management,” said Campbell.

“The comings and goings, not being able to bring anyone in and the injuries make it a difficult scenario.

“But I have to get a team together and get it prepared and see how we do. It’s all about togetherness and team spirit because that’s what’s going to get us through.”

Link to Full Story
Link
Come On You Blues!

The Big Preview

Southend United vs Gillingham

Big Preview.jpg
Overview

Southend United are quickly back in action tonight as they entertain Gillingham at Roots Hall in an Essex-Kent derby.

Rearranged from early January, this is Blues’ second of three straight home matches this week as they look to pick up precious points to keep their battle against the drop alive.

In their way are a Gills side who have proven themselves to be tough to beat in the last couple of months, with Steve Evans’ side currently on a 13-game unbeaten run in League One.

Form

Southend’s defeat to high-flyers Coventry City on Saturday was Blues’ third successive defeat in the league, following on from reversals against Peterborough United and Blackpool.

Prior to the three-game losing run, Sol Campbell’s side had recorded two wins out of their previous three with victories over Accrington Stanley and Lincoln City.

Gillingham beat 10-man Doncaster Rovers on Saturday to extend their unbeaten run in the league to 13-matches, with Gills winning three and drawing three of their last six outings.

Last Meeting

Saturday 5th October 2019

Gillingham 3-1 Southend United

Jones 43’, O’Keefe 46’, Hanlan 87’; Cox 58’

Blues suffered a 3-1 defeat to Gillingham at the MEMS Priestfield Stadium in a game that saw Southend finish the game with 10 men and Gills miss two penalties.

Goals from Alfie Jones, Stuart O’Keefe and Brandon Hanlan wrapped up the points for Gills despite Mikael Ndjoli missing twice from the spot, with Simon Cox grabbing a consolation for Blues.

Blues Team News

Southend are waiting to hear the extent of goalkeeper Mark Oxley’s thigh injury which saw him limp off late on in the defeat to Coventry at the weekend, but he is certainly ruled out. A scan will determine whether he misses the next three or six weeks.

18-year-olds Harry Seaden or Callum Taylor will come in to deputise unless an emergency loan is acquired in time.

Jason Demetriou and Stephen McLaughlin should be available for selection again, although Campbell suggested the Cypriot might only make the bench. If McLaughlin returns he will be hopefull of scoring having done so on five of his previous six games against the Gills.

Stephen Humphrys is still sidelined with his broken nose but fit-again Harry Kyprianou is pushing for a start after coming into the squad at the weekend.

Gillingham Dangerman

John Akinde was a recent acquisition for the Gills in the January transfer window from Lincoln and he’s no stranger to scoring a goal or two, making him one to watch.

The 30-year-old striker fired Lincoln to promotion last season as their top scorer and he’s already off the mark for his new employers with a goal in Gillingham’s 3-2 win over Blackpool last Tuesday.

His power and size make him a handful for defences, allowing him to hold up play and bring others into the equation and making him an all-round threat, not just in front of goal.

Ref Watch

Trevor Kettle will be in charge for his third Blues game of the season this evening, being assisted by Alasdair Ross and Paul Kelly, with Nicholas Cooper sitting in as the fourth official.

Kettle had previously been in the middle for Southend’s home game against Brighton u21s in the Leasing.com Trophy and their away trip to Sunderland’s Stadium of Light.

This will be Kettle’s 26th game of the season, with his previous 25 games seeing 93 yellows and nine reds, though Kettle didn’t brandish a single card last time out during Saturday’s game at Grimsby.

ERD3bXxXYAAvMr9.jpg

Tickets

Prices increase on a matchday with tickets available right up until kick-off, and you can find out more information about ticket availability and pricing by clicking here.

Link to full story
Link

Southend United v Gillingham Programme

Programme.jpg

Read Ricky Duncan's Gillingham programme notes as the Academy Manager praises the youngsters getting a chance in the first team.

Tonight's programme is an Academy special, highlighting the success of players who have stepped up to first team level.

Tom Clifford and Matt Rush both feature, along with Lewis Gard who returned to match action for the U23s last week.

And as a one-off, Duncan has penned his thoughts on the current crop ahead of the visit of Gillingham which are available to read here...

Good evening and welcome to tonight’s game against Gillingham.

As Academy Manager of the club it’s a great feeling to see so many players that you’ve worked with for a long time get their chance at first-team level. We’ve produced players on a regular basis, but probably none more than we’re seeing now getting opportunities to impress.

Although it may be due to circumstances, I’d have to say there are one or two out there that have done it completely on merit and by showing the Manager they’ve got something to offer.

I always say to these young guys, you never know when your opportunity is going to come and however it comes, you have to be ready to take it. So far I think every one of them has stepped up, given it their level best and not let anyone down.

Boys that have been here since the age of nine, working up through the age groups, developing as players and people and making a debut is what the Academy is about. It certainly gives us as coaches the drive to continue working hard every day, and I know that supporters have an affection when they see guys that have come through the system pull on the shirt.

They come through with a bond, one for the club and one for each other. If that creates a better team spirit going forward over the next 13 games if they stay involved then it bodes well for us in the future.

We’ve learnt loads and more importantly they as players will learn so much. They know what’s expected of them and it can only get better the longer we stick with them as club. Two or three of them could end up being regulars next season.

Finally, I’ve spoken about the Lincoln game a few weeks ago as being one of my proudest days in my time here and I think that can be said for everyone behind the scenes too who work many hours and go above and beyond. They’ll be on the phone to the boys wishing them all well. We’ve got a really good bond at the Academy and not one person will take all the credit, it’s a team thing which infiltrates into the kids as well.

It’s great to see the supporters responding to the lads and getting behind them, I know that really helps.

Enjoy the game!

Ricky

You can buy your copy of the programme for £3 at Roots Hall from the usual places.

Link to full story
Link

Turn tonight's programme front cover design into your phone background!

Thanks to Dashfire Design

Size: 1125x2436
EREooCbXsAA8j9c.jpg

Size: 1080x1920
EREooFoXsAElyMc.jpg

Come On You Blues!

Gillingham Team

TEAM: Bonham, Fuller, Ehmer, Ogilvie, Tucker, O’Connor, Willock, Roberts, Hanlan, Akinde, Mandron.

Subs: Walsh, Woods, Lee, Charles-Cook, Pringle, Graham, Jones.

Michae Klass, not deemed good enough for the match day squad since his return from Bromley, gets into the squad for tonight ahead of Brandon Goodship ??

I am struggling to work out the formation?
Is Harry K playing right back, or centre back, or is it a 3, 2, 4, 1 shape?
Or if MM is midfield sweeper then a 3, 3, 3 ,1?

Presumably based on clues people have been dropping

Seaden
Bwomono Mitchell-Nelson Dieng Kyprianou
Egbri Mantom Milligan Clifford
Kelman McLaughlin

Picking Kyprianou seems crazy and setting him up to fail.

Back