• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Southend United v Maidenhead United, Tuesday 23rd November, 19:45ko, NL - POSTPONED

Starting XI and Result

• Steve Arnold

Votes: 60 77.9%
  • Jason Demetriou

Votes: 33 42.9%
  • John White

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • Kacper Łopata

Votes: 61 79.2%
  • Shaun Hobson

Votes: 58 75.3%
  • Nathan Ralph

Votes: 47 61.0%
  • Rob Howard

Votes: 26 33.8%
  • Charlie Sayers

Votes: 14 18.2%
  • James Dunne

Votes: 15 19.5%
  • Abu Ogogo

Votes: 21 27.3%
  • Nathan Ferguson

Votes: 33 42.9%
  • Harry Phillips

Votes: 32 41.6%
  • Will Atkinson

Votes: 4 5.2%
  • Louis Walsh

Votes: 54 70.1%
  • Terrell Egbri

Votes: 16 20.8%
  • Matt Dennis

Votes: 17 22.1%
  • Zak Brunt

Votes: 61 79.2%
  • Rhys Murphy

Votes: 57 74.0%
  • Sam Dalby

Votes: 44 57.1%
  • Matt Rush

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • Tom Clifford

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Josh Coulson

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Harry Seaden

• Win

Votes: 37 48.1%
  • Draw

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • Lose

Votes: 13 16.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shrimpergonzo

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver⭐
Staff member
It's the last home league game before Christmas on Tuesday evening, which seems ridiculous as the fat guy in the red suit will still be over a month away from visiting!

The visitors will be the latest in the series of "teams you never thought we'd play except in the FA Cup" - Maidenhead United who sit one place above us in the league.

The Magpies are managed by former West Ham player, Alan Devonshire - now aged 65, who is there for his second spell as manager. They're not in great form, particularly defensively, and have let in an amazing 18 goals in their last 4 games!

The have a trio of ex-shrimpers in their side, last year's fall guy Emile Acquah, Sam Barratt and Kane Ferdinand who has fallen a long way down the pyramid since we sold him to Posh for £200,000 as a 19-year old just over 9 years ago. He started for them in the 4-0 defeat at Boreham Wood, Acquah was on the bench and Barratt not involved. They also had centre back Jamie Sendles-White making his debut for them in that game - he was on trial with us last month.

Blues will be hoping that King Kev gets his second win as head coach, and this would seem an ideal game to get us back on track and a chance also to leapfrog Maidenhead in the table as they are 3 points and +1 goal difference ahead of us.

Of course, he'll be without long term injury victims Jack Bridge and Simeon Akinola again, whether any of the other injured players (Ralph, Ogogo, Clifford, Coulson) will return remains to be seen. We switched to a back 4 against Grimsby, but the two full-backs had a combined age of 69, which is not perfect if the opposition have a nippy young winger. However, that said, apart from the shocking defending in the first 3 minutes our goal was not breached away at 3rd place Grimsby and the team had a bit more about it in defence. Going forward however, we remain woefully shot-shy so what can be done to pep things up in attack?

Anyway, I'm sure the Shrimpers faithful will be out in the force that performances on the pitch scarcely deserve.

Let's hope that the players give us something to cheer!

You know the drill by now...

I think Walsh deserved to keep his place , need to swap either Dunne or Ferguson for a more attack minded player .
like the Dover game in the sense that it’s a team similar to us, whoever concedes the first goal loses the game for me as both teams in awful form .
let’s get straight into them and play on the front foot to get the nerves going in their defensive line

It's the last home league game before Christmas on Tuesday evening, which seems ridiculous as the fat guy in the red suit will still be over a month away from visiting!

The visitors will be the latest in the series of "teams you never thought we'd play except in the FA Cup" - Maidenhead United who sit one place above us in the league.

The Magpies are managed by former West Ham player, Alan Devonshire - now aged 65, who is there for his second spell as manager. They're not in great form, particularly defensively, and have let in an amazing 18 goals in their last 4 games!

The have a trio of ex-shrimpers in their side, last year's fall guy Emile Acquah, Sam Barratt and Kane Ferdinand who has fallen a long way down the pyramid since we sold him to Posh for £200,000 as a 19-year old just over 9 years ago. He started for them in the 4-0 defeat at Boreham Wood, Acquah was on the bench and Barratt not involved. They also had centre back Jamie Sendles-White making his debut for them in that game - he was on trial with us last month.

Blues will be hoping that King Kev gets his second win as head coach, and this would seem an ideal game to get us back on track and a chance also to leapfrog Maidenhead in the table as they are 3 points and +1 goal difference ahead of us.

Of course, he'll be without long term injury victims Jack Bridge and Simeon Akinola again, whether any of the other injured players (Ralph, Ogogo, Clifford, Coulson) will return remains to be seen. We switched to a back 4 against Grimsby, but the two full-backs had a combined age of 69, which is not perfect if the opposition have a nippy young winger. However, that said, apart from the shocking defending in the first 3 minutes our goal was not breached away at 3rd place Grimsby and the team had a bit more about it in defence. Going forward however, we remain woefully shot-shy so what can be done to pep things up in attack?

Anyway, I'm sure the Shrimpers faithful will be out in the force that performances on the pitch scarcely deserve.

Let's hope that the players give us something to cheer!

You know the drill by now...
I think King Kev and his two right hand men need to start picking up points. Experienced managers in this league will tell you that the target to avoid relegation is a minimum of 50 points, that means we need another 39 points from 29 games. The only possible difference this season is that only 3 teams will be relegated, not sure if that works in our favour or not.

Not a must win game but a big game. Apart from the Aldershot fiasco our record against bottom half teams isn’t too bad so hopefully not a back foot full of fear set up and performance. Dreading it all the same !

The possibility of Sam Barratt, Kane Ferdinand & Emile Aquah in a starting line up wouldn’t normally strike too much fear… and yet it worries me immensely.
Agreed, sadly. I’m hoping Barratt’s injured if he wasn’t invloved today?
Ferdinand kind of reminds me a bit of Ferguson, talented but lackadaisical. He has a goal in him though, so by the ex-players rule he’s bound to score. If Acquah does though… this site will go into meltdown? Shrimpet Steve’s reaction alone would at least cheer me up!

Last edited:
I really hope that this is one game we actually go for.

Is it not very 2021 to ask for 2 attacking wingers in Egbri and Walsh starting with a central midfield of Philips and Brunt playing slightly more forward. Crosses in from left and right to the big man Dalby for Murphy to run in off his knock downs. Brunt playing in some nifty through balls for Rush when he comes late on with us 3-0 up. Or are you not allowed to ping crosses into the middle from a winger these days?

I don’t even know what our offensive style of play actually is anymore? Zero shots on goal last night says it’s not really working.

We can't go for 2 ageing full-backs again. I think Demi still has quite a good engine but I'm afraid John White has looked shot for the last few games. I think Dunne needs a rest too. On that basis, I'd go for:

Arnold

Demi Łopata Hobson Ralph

Ferguson Phillips

Brunt

Walsh Dalby Murphy

Subs: White, Dunne, Dennis, Egbri, Rush

Although I truly hope we sign another central midfielder before Tuesday. If Ralph isn't fit then I'd play Sayers.

4-2-3-1-formation, I left out both Ralph and Clifford as not sure they available.
my team Arnold
Demi Lopata Hobson Sayers
Dnne/ Philips Ferguson
Murphy Brunt Dennis
Dalby
Subs, Walsh White , Philips / Dunne Rush Seaden.
I also didnt pick anyone from the U23s as i believe they have a match against Stoke City in the Premier league cup. Would have had Gard, Kinali and Oshane-Stewart in mind if not .. hoping for a win.

Couldnt make up my mind between Dunne and Philips .so whoever is picked the other as a sub.

This is a must win game.....
Can we stop calling nearly every game a 'a must win game' until they really are which is no time soon !.

Sure with them being just above us it is a very important game but if we where not to win although it would be yet another disappointment with so many points to play for and window open to potentially improve our squad climbing up the League would still be a real possibility.

Can we stop calling nearly every game a 'a must win game' until they really are which is no time soon !.

Sure with them being just above us it is a very important game but if we where not to win although it would be yet another disappointment with so many points to play for and window open to potentially improve our squad climbing up the League would still be a real possibility.
#mustwin

We can't go for 2 ageing full-backs again. I think Demi still has quite a good engine but I'm afraid John White has looked shot for the last few games. I think Dunne needs a rest too. On that basis, I'd go for:

Arnold

Demi Łopata Hobson Ralph

Ferguson Phillips

Brunt

Walsh Dalby Murphy

Although I truly hope we sign another central midfielder before Tuesday. If Ralph isn't fit then I'd play Sayers.
That's the formation I would go with but the bench options worry me slightly. Hoping we have more than a 2 goal lead if we then bring on White or Dunne to help us see the win out. Egbri Dennis and Rush are good options yo have but for me none are real match winners. Can't remember the last time we had a strong line up and good options on the bench.

Arnold

Demi Łopata Hobson Ralph

Ferguson Phillips

Brunt

Walsh Dalby Murphy

Exactly the Team I would pick, you should have applied for the managers job!

After Friday’s display, I don’t ever want to see Atkinson, Demi and even White in the team again, especially together. I’d even put Dunne in with that bunch. They all need to be replaced with younger legs who’ll actually get around the pitch. If everyone is fit, I’d go with a simple 4-4-2..

Arnold
Howard, Lopata, Hobson, Ralph
Walsh, Ferguson, Phillips, Brunt
Dalby, Murphy

Dennis, Dunne, Egbri, Rush, White

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back