• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Southend United v Maidenhead United, Tuesday 23rd November, 19:45ko, NL - POSTPONED

Starting XI and Result

• Steve Arnold

Votes: 60 77.9%
  • Jason Demetriou

Votes: 33 42.9%
  • John White

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • Kacper Łopata

Votes: 61 79.2%
  • Shaun Hobson

Votes: 58 75.3%
  • Nathan Ralph

Votes: 47 61.0%
  • Rob Howard

Votes: 26 33.8%
  • Charlie Sayers

Votes: 14 18.2%
  • James Dunne

Votes: 15 19.5%
  • Abu Ogogo

Votes: 21 27.3%
  • Nathan Ferguson

Votes: 33 42.9%
  • Harry Phillips

Votes: 32 41.6%
  • Will Atkinson

Votes: 4 5.2%
  • Louis Walsh

Votes: 54 70.1%
  • Terrell Egbri

Votes: 16 20.8%
  • Matt Dennis

Votes: 17 22.1%
  • Zak Brunt

Votes: 61 79.2%
  • Rhys Murphy

Votes: 57 74.0%
  • Sam Dalby

Votes: 44 57.1%
  • Matt Rush

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • Tom Clifford

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Josh Coulson

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Harry Seaden

• Win

Votes: 37 48.1%
  • Draw

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • Lose

Votes: 13 16.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
After Friday’s display, I don’t ever want to see Atkinson, Demi and even White in the team again, especially together. I’d even put Dunne in with that bunch. They all need to be replaced with younger legs who’ll actually get around the pitch. If everyone is fit, I’d go with a simple 4-4-2..

Arnold
Howard, Lopata, Hobson, Ralph
Walsh, Ferguson, Phillips, Brunt
Dalby, Murphy

Dennis, Dunne, Egbri, Rush, White
As nice as 4 4 2 would be that middle would be bullied and easily over run I’m afraid in my opinion

I think we need 4 at the back but also 3 in midfield could make that stronger. But rather than have defenders sitting in there be a little more attacking. Front foot football

Arnold
Howard hobson kasper Ralph

Ogogo

Ferguson Brunt

Walsh Murphy Dennis

Subs: Dunne White Philips Dalby egbiri

I think King Kev and his two right hand men need to start picking up points. Experienced managers in this league will tell you that the target to avoid relegation is a minimum of 50 points, that means we need another 39 points from 29 games. The only possible difference this season is that only 3 teams will be relegated, not sure if that works in our favour or not.
It’s going to be Dover plus 2. So, surely we can drag ourselves out of this.

Can we stop calling nearly every game a 'a must win game' until they really are which is no time soon !.

Sure with them being just above us it is a very important game but if we where not to win although it would be yet another disappointment with so many points to play for and window open to potentially improve our squad climbing up the League would still be a real possibility.
We must win this game.

Time for tom clifford to come back into the team.Will be like a new signing and he's actually good and someone we should keep.

Time for tom clifford to come back into the team.Will be like a new signing and he's actually good and someone we should keep.
Can’t see him back just yet as a long way from match fit and would be foolish to create another Akinola type injury if he’s not up to speed

I’ve gone as follows:

Arnold
Howard Lopata Hobson Ralph
Dunne
Walsh Ferguson Brunt
Dalby Murphy

If fit I think Ralph and Brunt will create down the left. Think Howard deserves another go and was unfortunate last time he played as he came up against one of the fastest opposition left backs that I’ve seen. And if we find ourselves 2 in front would like to see Rush given a bit more game time ie coming on for last 30 minutes

I think King Kev and his two right hand men need to start picking up points. Experienced managers in this league will tell you that the target to avoid relegation is a minimum of 50 points, that means we need another 39 points from 29 games. The only possible difference this season is that only 3 teams will be relegated, not sure if that works in our favour or not.

Has to doesn't it? And perhaps drops the points needed a little

As nice as 4 4 2 would be that middle would be bullied and easily over run I’m afraid in my opinion
Against a bully like Maidenhead?

We won’t score without a bit of creativity and we’re creating nothing with the current set up.

I would love to play a more attacking role but Tuesday is not the game.

Arnold
Demi Hobson. Lopta. Ralph. Howard
Dunne Ogogo. Brunt
Ferguson
Murphy.

Subs. Dennis. Walsh. White. Kinali. Dalby

Last edited:
Looking likely a crowd under 4,500 sadly, that's if season ticket holders don't turn up in numbers.

The '' sold '' figures include around 3,200 Season Ticket holders

I reckon we win this one IMHO, we actually played OK on Friday night,

Grimsby also looked awful and they was at home and top of the leagie

4333 Sold*​

3800 seats available.

We can't go for 2 ageing full-backs again. I think Demi still has quite a good engine but I'm afraid John White has looked shot for the last few games. I think Dunne needs a rest too. On that basis, I'd go for:

Arnold

Demi Łopata Hobson Ralph

Ferguson Phillips

Brunt

Walsh Dalby Murphy

Subs: White, Dunne, Dennis, Egbri, Rush

Although I truly hope we sign another central midfielder before Tuesday. If Ralph isn't fit then I'd play Sayers.
That’s exactly the team I’d pick.
And it’s also the most popular choice from the 41 so far who’ve selected from the list above.
All 41 have voted for Arnold,Hobson+the 2 loanees.Presumably:
1)the few not voting for Ralph don’t think he’ll be fit enough.
2) the person who voted for Atkinson and the other 3 voting for White haven’t been watching any of our games.

The possibility of Sam Barratt, Kane Ferdinand & Emile Aquah in a starting line up wouldn’t normally strike too much fear… and yet it worries me immensely.
We usually concede against ex players let's hope it's not all three!

They have conceded 15 goals in their last three matches.

So we all know what's gonna happen......
I think their last 3 matches have all been against sides using 3-5-2, so it might be worth reverting back to it.

Arnold
Hobson Lopata Ralph
Egbri Ferguson Brunt Phillips Sayers
Murphy Dalby

Not much point debating the starting 11 from my point of view. Nothing we do in terms of personnel or formation is making a blind bit of difference. The only thing I have seen improve since Maher arrived is effort.

That’s not a dig at Maher though as I can’t see what else he can do.

Personally I think we lose this. Sam Barrett takes our full backs apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back