• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Southend United v Maidenhead United, Tuesday 7th December, 19:45ko, NL

Starting XI and Result

• Steve Arnold

Votes: 94 85.5%
  • Jason Demetriou

Votes: 75 68.2%
  • Rob Howard

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • John White

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Shaun Hobson

Votes: 92 83.6%
  • Kacper Łopata

Votes: 93 84.5%
  • Nathan Ralph

Votes: 93 84.5%
  • Nathan Ferguson

Votes: 78 70.9%
  • James Dunne

Votes: 17 15.5%
  • Harry Phillips

Votes: 43 39.1%
  • Abu Ogogo

Votes: 33 30.0%
  • Zak Brunt

Votes: 91 82.7%
  • Louis Walsh

Votes: 88 80.0%
  • Matt Dennis

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • Terrell Egbri

• Sam Dalby

• Rhys Murphy

• Matt Rush

• Will Atkinson

Votes: 9 8.2%
  • Harry Seaden

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Win

Votes: 67 60.9%
  • Draw

Votes: 12 10.9%
  • Lose

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shrimpergonzo

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver⭐
Staff member
"It seems like déjà vu all over again" is a quote attributed to US baseball coach Yogi Berra (who was evidently smarter than the average Berra!) and it is indeed another pre-match thread for the home game against Maidenhead, rearranged from a couple of weeks ago.

It's (still!) the last home league game before Christmas on Tuesday evening, but now a lot closer to the visit of the bearded chap in the red suit than the original game was meant to be.

The visitors will be the latest in the series of "teams you never thought we'd play except in the FA Cup" - Maidenhead United who sit (at the time of writing) one place above us in the league.

The Magpies are managed by former West Ham player, Alan Devonshire - now aged 65, who is there for his second spell as manager. They're not in great form, particularly defensively, and have let in an amazing 18 goals in their last 4 games (this being written before their game at Barnet).

The have a trio of ex-shrimpers in their side, last year's fall guy Emile Acquah, Sam Barratt and Kane Ferdinand who has fallen a long way down the pyramid since we sold him to Posh for £200,000 as a 19-year old just over 9 years ago. He started for them in the 4-0 defeat at Boreham Wood, Acquah was on the bench and Barratt not involved. They also had centre back Jamie Sendles-White making his debut for them in that game - he was on trial with us last month.

Blues will be hoping that King Kev gets his second home win as head coach, and this would seem an ideal game to get us back on track and a chance also to leapfrog Maidenhead in the table - whatever their result at Barnet (in fact if they lose we'll do that without kicking a ball as we're currently level on points and goal difference).

Of course, he'll be without long term injury victims Jack Bridge and Simeon Akinola again, whether any of the other injured players (Ralph, Ogogo, Clifford, Coulson) will return remains to be seen. We switched to a back 4 against Grimsby and Altincham, and having Ralph at left back was certainly an upgrade on the Grimsby game.

We'll have had a long lay off since the Altrincham win and I'm sure Kev will have eyes at the Barnet v Maidenhead game today to suss out the opposition.

I'm sure the Shrimpers faithful will again be out in the force that performances on the pitch scarcely deserve.

Let's hope that the players give us some pre-Christmas cheer!

You know the drill by now...

Notice that Aldershot are playing at home today along with Weymouth and Maidenhead away.Hopefully the results will go our way.
Agreed, if we can win this and start picking up more points, will not be so concerned with other results.
Dover & Kings Lynn are gone for me. That leaves one more relegation place. I would say Maidenhead or Weymouth to be that team.

I would keep the same team that won on Saturday, but only things we need to improve is our central midfield area.

I would keep the same team that won on Saturday, but only things we need to improve is our central midfield area.
You are correct in saying improve central midfield but that is why we cannot keep the same team. Need more energy and legs at home, rather than defensive, keep it tight. One change only

In my opinion that has been the case for about three seasons - our midfielders haven't helped the defence, worked hard enough, tackled enough, chipped in with goals or created anything for the strikers.

When’s the last time we had back to back wins in the league? I’m guessing we’d be looking back to Chris Powell’s tenure? Big chance on Tuesday to finally put this right and build some confidence.

12/12/2020 & 15/12/2020. Wins v Scunthorpe and Grimsby.

We had a run of 3 wins and 2 draws leading up to the Boxing Day game. I even began to feel a bit of hope...

The previous time before that was under Chris Powell in September-October 2018. Three years!

Think MM won back to back homes last season, when fans came back briefly?
Yeah you’re right, I remember now it was just after the embargo was lifted. Like Ron I thought ”Sim and Sam“ were our saviours!

Still, that’s approaching a year ago since our last back to back victories, about time we experienced that feeling again, please…. UTB:Happy:

Looking forward to taking my grandson to his first ever game on Tuesday v Maidenhead. Takes me back to my 1st game standing with my Dad in the Paddock.
Hopefully we'll bring some more luck as the only 2 games I've been to this season was Eastleigh & Dover. Maidenhead lost 3-0 to a rejuvenated Barnet yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back