• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Official Match Thread Southend United v Newport County (Last game of the 2020/21 Season)

If Olayinka is to impress, he needs to be played in the middle. By the look of the line up, he had been pushed onto the wing
Yeah it's tricky for him to get in at CM right now if we are playing two there, Taylor and Olayinka too lightweight as a pairing and hard to drop Taylor. Maybe if we go a goal up at some point we'll change to 4-5-1 and he can have a chance there? Of course that's assuming we're not doing that from the start, might always get surprised and find Rush out wide.

Back from the protest to watch the game. Was about 150/200 people there. About 5 people chanting Martin out for 5 minutes and we want our Southend back. Everyone else just stood around. I chatted to nice guys, fellow Zoners .. Nick and John ( apologies if I have got that wrong haha)
Not sure if Ron even went today?

I guess the media side of things will have the biggest impact and will hopefully encourage Ronald to take action to getting things sorted. As we agreed.. I think most people don’t think Martin out is the answer currently.

Anyway onto football. Let’s win out last ever league game ?

So after looking up, unless it's out of date, this would be the final "Ifollow" match but going by Notts County's website from them going down in 2019...

"Clubs are given two years' access to the EFL Digital platform following their relegation from the EFL."

So some good news... I think?

The Official Match Thread brought to you by ShrimperZone.com

So here we are the twenty third and last League Two home game of the 2020/21 season and Phil Brown’s 3rd League home game in charge since returning as manager of the Mighty Shrimpers.

Our 23rd and last League Two match at home is against Newport County

View attachment 15547
View attachment 15548View attachment 15549View attachment 15550
This is our last home game of the season and our last game in the English Football League for a while.

It is now time for ALL of us to get behind him and the team whether you are listening on the radio, listening or watching on ifollow, you can still make that famous "Roots Hall Roar” at home.

Phil Brown’s 3rd Southend United and last EFL League two Home Team of the 2020/21 season

View attachment 15573

The Roots Hall pitch looks fantastic and is ready for action at 15.00 hrs Saturday 8th May 2021 against Newport County. It looks like the heavy rain and high winds have died out but there will still be chance of drizzle and gusty winds during this afternoon's game at Roots Hall.

View attachment 15569

Here is the weather forecast for this afternoon at Roots Hall

View attachment 15551

Current League home record after 22 home games

Won 5
Dawn 5
Lost 12
Goals scored 15
Goals conceded 28

League Positions Last Season

22nd (2019/20 Season) League One Southend United (Relegated)
14th (2019/20 Season) League Two Newport County

League Positions Current Season

5th (2020/21 Season) League Two Newport County
23rd (2020/21 Season) League Two Southend United

Recent League Position Change

View attachment 15552
Previous Six Meetings

Newport County 0-1 Southend United (L2 09/02/21 Att. Covid 0)
Southend United 0-2 Newport County (LC1 08/08/17 Att. 2,998)
Southend United 2-0 Newport County (L2 14/04/15 Att. 5,480)
Newport County 1-0 Southend United (L2 21/10/14 Att. 2,558)
Southend United 0-0 Newport County (L2 31/01/14 Att. 5,992)
Newport County 3-1 Southend United (L2 26/10/13 Att. 3,652)

Head to Head record

Southend United Wins: 43
Draws: 14
Newport County Wins: 44

Current Form

Newport County
L W D W W
Southend United D D L W W

View attachment 15570

Come On You Blues!
Thanks for doing this for another season. Looks like a lot of work goes into it - appreciated.

So after looking up, unless it's out of date, this would be the final "Ifollow" match but going by Notts County's website from them going down in 2019...

"Clubs are given two years' access to the EFL Digital platform following their relegation from the EFL."

That is good news - let’s hope that it remains available for those of us that cannot make the games including away games

If true certainly.

Talk about an experienced bench! Just noticed they’ve got Kevin Ellison, Joe Ledley and Nicky Maynard on theirs.

I’ve never cared less about a game of football involving the blues than I do today. That’s what you’ve done to us this campaign. It’s been shambolic from start to finish. You can’t even say that players are playing for their futures today, the majority will be off anyway.

Strange. Akinola has scored goals in the National League and ANG is certainly a trier.

Maybe he doesn't want to go back there and that's why he, ANG and Ferguson haven't been in the team much. I can only imagine at this point PB has had a chat with players along the lines of fancy it there's the door. Although he has only spoken out about Mellis publicly so who knows, I'm just guessing.

I'd rather it be that than PB being petty because they're MM players...

Last edited:
Back