• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Southend United v Oldham Athletic, Saturday 20th August, 15:00ko, NL

Starting XI and Result

• Steve Arnold

Votes: 88 88.9%
  • Shaun Hobson

Votes: 86 86.9%
  • Louis Lomas

Votes: 86 86.9%
  • Ollie Kensdale

Votes: 85 85.9%
  • Nathan Ralph

Votes: 87 87.9%
  • Tom Clifford

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Jason Demetriou

Votes: 34 34.3%
  • Gus Scott-Morriss

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • Jaden Crowhurst

Votes: 47 47.5%
  • Cav Miley

Votes: 85 85.9%
  • Noor Husin

Votes: 53 53.5%
  • Wes Fonguck

Votes: 39 39.4%
  • Dan Mooney

Votes: 72 72.7%
  • Jack Bridge

Votes: 24 24.2%
  • Callum Powell

Votes: 75 75.8%
  • Chris Wreh

Votes: 87 87.9%
  • Henry Sandat

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jack Wood

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Ollie Coker

• Jon Benton

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • Collin Andeng-Ndi

• Aaron Cosgrave

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Win

Votes: 60 60.6%
  • Draw

Votes: 15 15.2%
  • Lose

Votes: 8 8.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shrimpergonzo

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver⭐
Staff member
It's back to Roots Hall for our fourth game of the season and hopefully time to get our first three point haul against one of the sides relegated from League 2 at the end of last season.

The fall from grace of Oldham Athletic is perhaps even more spectacular than our own as they have become the first former Premiership side to slide into the non-league abyss. John Sheridan was appointed for his 4th spell as Latics' manager in January this year but failed to halt the slide out of the EFL. However the club is in a much more buoyant mood in recent weeks having been taken over by flat-capped local businessman Frank Rothwell which drew an 8500 crowd to Boundary Park for their first home game of the season last Saturday.

Other than the takeover by a popular local businessman, much of the Lancashire side's recent history mirrors that of our own and in many respects we are similar sized clubs a bit down on our luck but with high hopes for the future.

So far this season, they've had a goalless draw at Torquay, a narrow 3-2 home win over newly promoted Dorking Wanderers (after going 3-0 up) and on Tuesday night a defeat at Boundary Park against Wealdstone while we were drawing at Halifax.

The second home game of the season is the first game that Jason Demetriou could be available for selection following his 3-match ban. Whether young Jaden Crowhurst has done enough in the last two games for youth to triumph over experience remains to be seen as does the extent of the lay off for Husin and Clifford the latest to be added to our lengthy injury list. If Husin is not fit then the midfield 3 would seem to pick itself, the keeper and 4 of the back 5 seem settled and there is currently a dearth of options up top too, so maybe selection won’t be too complicated this week as we’re a bit short of options all round.

Anyway, who would you select and what do you predict the result will be?

Last edited:
From the commentary Crowhurst got clattered a bit in the second half. I’d be very surprised if JD doesn’t start.

I'd like JD to start for me and if Husin is fit I would start him over fonguck. But looks like both could start if Mooney took a knock. Definitely got to be gunning for 3 points here. Would be disappointed with anything less

Now we are playing fairly tight at the back, I’ve gone for a draw again.
With only one goal from 3 games I think we will struggle up front.
So I’m going 0-0 that’s what my head says.

It's not been the easiest opening few games on paper. Considering injuries, if we could notch another clean sheet I'd be happy. With Lomas fit again I want to see how solid that back 3 can be.

If JD starts I would think it more likely to be in the midfield.
I really don't think he will. We have options in midfield. That's one area we are well stocked. Demi should never, ever play midfield for us. Square peg in round holes should be a thing of the past.

As well as Crowhurst has done, we have really missed Demi in my opinion. Young Crowhurst will learn a lot from him. I think JD starts at RWB on Saturday.

I really don't think he will. We have options in midfield. That's one area we are well stocked. Demi should never, ever play midfield for us. Square peg in round holes should be a thing of the past.

As well as Crowhurst has done, we have really missed Demi in my opinion. Young Crowhurst will learn a lot from him. I think JD starts at RWB on Saturday.
I'd be gutted if I was Crowhurst and get dropped. Two good performances

Mooney, Husin, Miley all had injuries before or after Tuesday's game, Bridge is lightweight and rarely tackles, Fonguck may be injured? as he disappeared like Ferguson used to 2nd half. When that lot is considered the options are less AND I agree Demi in midfield, again is not a 1st, 2nd or 3rd wished for option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back