• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Floval Flyer

Licensed to ill⭐
Another big game on Saturday, what's everyone's thoughts on the line up?

Must be some changes from the Gills game...

Atkinson must be back in the starting X1, as would either Anton if fit (or John White otherwise) at CB

What's to do with Mr 'off form' Wordsworth? Will he be dropped in favour of Amos or Timlin moving to a central role, with Will and McG out wide???

and the Front 2? Cox / Ranger, Cox / MAF, or Ranger / MAF?

..................................................SMITH........................................
DEMETRIOU..............THOMPSON...................WHITE..............COKER
ATKINSON...............LEONARD.................WORDSWORTH............TIMLIN
................................FORTUNE...............COX..................................

ROBINSON,RANGER,MCGLASHAN,O'NEILL,AMOS,BEXON,FERDINAND

Need to make the midfield solid again with loads of energy , allow the full backs to both bomb forward. Wordsworth to float closer to front 2 . Plenty of options on the bench to change our style if needed. White to start allowing half fit Ferdy more recovery time.

Those who came on at half time on Saturday did themselves no harm at all. Also, it's clear that we are exposed down our right so I expect Will Atko to come in for McGlashan who played himself out of contention on Saturday by arguably trying too hard again against his old club.

If Ranger is fit enough, I would start him with Cox as he made a huge impact off the bench on Saturday. Fortune perhaps to make way. He was magnificent against Peterborough but not so good vs Northampton and Gills. Perhaps a rest is due.

Wordsworth stays for me, he may be a little bit of a luxury but Atkinson coming in will make up for that and he is a real attacking threat even when not on form. Port Vale really are there for the taking and I'd expect us to take the game to them.

I think Phil has 3 decisions to make.

Atkinson in for McGlashan I think is a no-brainer.
Ferdinand or White at Centre Back depending on Ferdinands fitness and the Port Vale forwards!
Ranger or MAF up front with Cox.

I dont think that wholesale changes need to be made, but personally I would go Atkinson, Ferdinand and Ranger.

Ranger wont last more than 55-60 minutes, so can then bring on MAF or Robinson depending on how the game is going.

As others have said, Atko back in for McGlashan.

I'd also start Ranger ahead of Fortune. MAF looked tired against Gills and didn't really look as sharp and influence the game as much as he usually does. Think he could do with a rest.

Ranger will have to up his workrate a bit though. It was a great finish for the goal on Saturday but with 10 men I did want Nile to work a bit harder for the side.

Port Vale game at Rochdale off tonight..so freshness advantage gone. Definitely bring Willo back in for McG

..................................................SMITH........................................
DEMETRIOU..............THOMPSON...................WHITE..............COKER
ATKINSON...............LEONARD.................WORDSWORTH............TIMLIN
................................FORTUNE...............COX..................................

ROBINSON,RANGER,MCGLASHAN,O'NEILL,AMOS,BEXON,FERDINAND

Need to make the midfield solid again with loads of energy , allow the full backs to both bomb forward. Wordsworth to float closer to front 2 . Plenty of options on the bench to change our style if needed. White to start allowing half fit Ferdy more recovery time.

Agree with this, but I think Phil will go with Ferdinand over White.

Went to the away game earlier in the season and Grant was influential in their midfield as they won 2-0.

We played okayish, almost scored, went behind, applied some pressure and then leaked another goal.

Port Vale stewards were talking about Phil Brown needing to go at the end of the game ........ how things change. In fact it has been the Vale manager who has stepped aside. I suspect that Port Vale and Southend were probably in opposite positions back in August (in fact we were bottom and Vale were 7th).

The team that day was:--

Oxley,
Demmy, Barrett, Sokky, Coker
McGlashan, Leonard, Atkinson, McLaughlin
Mooney Cox

I would think that only 5 players (in bold) would start on Saturday.

Players that have played for both sides:

Luke Prosser
Gavin Tomlin
Will Atkinson
Anthony Grant
Ryan Inniss
Leon Constantine
Brett Angell
Billy Paynter
Theo Robinson
Peter Clarke
Michael Husbands
Danny Maye
Jemal Johnson
Liam Dickinson
Neville Southall
Billy Kellock
Marc Laird
Keith Lindsay
Brian LLoyd
Wayne Gray

also Brian Horton played for them

so that's three current players who have played for Vale

Atkinson - was at loan there in 2007 from Hull - 4 appearances
Inniss- was at loan there twice in 2015 and 2016 - 20 appearances
Robinson - was there last season from January onward. One of his goals in his 14 appearances was against Col U

Horton - made 236 appearances for Vale as a midfielder, scoring 33 goals from 1970-6, before moving to Brighton for £30,000. He signed for Third Division Port Vale in July 1970. It was reported that his transfer fee was a pint of shandy, as the cash-strapped potteries club haggled with the Hednesford Town chairman by plying him with alcohol, therefore his transfer fee was 'a pint of shandy'. (Wikipedia)

Form guide for the last 6 games for the top 10 teams in the league ..........

Oxford 15 points
Millwall 14 points
Fleetwood 12 points
Sheffield Utd 11 points
Southend 10 points
Bolton 9 points
Bradford 7 points
Peterborough 6 points
Scunthorpe 3 points
Rochdale 3 points

I found that information quite interesting.

Particularly as our 10 points have been taken, whilst playing four of those sides. Three of them, away.

Ironically if, before the Millwall match, someone had said we would win 2, draw 1 and lose 2 of our 5 upcoming matches (four of them away) we'd have taken that, I think, but the two we won were the two we'd probably least expect to have won!

Particularly as our 10 points have been taken, whilst playing four of those sides. Three of them, away.

Ironically if, before the Millwall match, someone had said we would win 2, draw 1 and lose 2 of our 5 upcoming matches (four of them away) we'd have taken that, I think, but the two we won were the two we'd probably least expect to have won!

Dropping 5 points against Northampton and Gillingham is a bit concerning though-particularly those are the types of sides most of remaining fixtures are against. Undoes a bit of the good work.

Vale have not won in 2017 - just like Gillingham last we - Let's hope whoever is selected is up for it from the start. We wont be able to rely on the ref.

Considering our league position, i'm surprised we haven't sold more for this weekends fixture (only 5,861 yet). I cant imagine Port Vale bringing down more than 350, probably closer to the 280 - 300 mark I reckon.

I'm gonna be brave, and go for a 4-1 win (2-1 at HT) to the mighty shrimpers, to remedy the unfortunate & day light robbery of a loss at the hands of those dirty Kentish Gills.

"If the truth be known" ..... It's gonna be a case of "bounce back ability".

Ranger, Cox, fortune are on the score sheet (& a surprising goal from either Coker or White).

Furthermore, of course, their only goal will be hotly debated here on Shrimperzone for being an infringement or offside, and Phil Brown will be sent to the stands for complaining about the ref!! #standardprocedure

In front of a crowd of 6,789 (7k+ though would be great)

You heard it here first folks. LOL

:happy::loyalsupporter:

Smith
Demetriou Thompson Ferdinand Coker
Atkinson Leonard Wordsworth Timlin
Ranger Cox

Very probable.
The big issue with this starting line up is that PB can only use three subs, he will want to keep one in case of mishap with Anton and then the usual two forward changes.
He won't have a sub "space" to try the loanee or give MacL 10 minutes.

Side should be:

Ted

Demetriou ferdinand Thompson coker

Atkinson leonard wordsworth timlin

Cox ranger

Subs: white robinson fortune mcglashan O'Neil Bexon kyprianou

Time for fortune to have a rest. Give ranger a big chance to stake a claim for his first team spot and repay some faith.

3-1 blues win in front of 7200 including 250 port vale.

Just read Echo ,was feeling very optimistic about Saturday but it looks like we'll be missing"the spine" of our team:
Oxley-out for season,Smith is very young and improving but....
Ferdinand-hasn't trained all week,Innis suspended-White is our only experienced defender,now Barrett has at last given up the ghost.
Cox-"50-50" which probably means 20/80 and the obvious ,like-for-like replacement,Mooney went off with coccussion after scoring again in midweek.

Back