• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane Southend United v Preston North End, 14 September 1990

Dave Martin & Ian Benjamin scored our first two before John Cornwell's superb volley late in the game that made it 3-2.

Snap

As for images maybe in the following match programme v Shrewsbury on the 18th Sept.

I don't think that game is on You Tube

Total opposite start to this season 5 league wins in a row. Interesting to note the first game of the season v Huddersfield away was only on the 25th August.

Also our crowds were much lower back then 2,994 v Crewe, 4,614 v Preston, 5,100 v Shrewsbury then 3,635 v Swansea. For our first 4 home games.

That season is about the only time I can remember us having a great start to a season 8 wins out of the first 9 games. Don't think any other 'recent' start comes close to that.

Last edited:
Thanks guys that's great info!

Been looking everywhere to find images, to no avail!

Literally is the total opposite :ROFL:

crazy how low attendances where though very odd.

My next question would be does anyone have the Shrewsbury programme and able to scan and send images from the Preston game?

You can get the Shrewsbury programme on a well known internet auction site I just looked! Yours for £1.69 plus postage!
Worth noting that this was only 4 days after the Preston game hopefully they had time to get photos in there?

What a great game that was. Although early in the season, this was the first game I thought we were in for a good season. That side just didn't know when it was beaten.

i may even have some paper/press cuttings from that game......… I used to save any that I could find back in those days.
remember going mental in the north bank when Cornwell's goal hit the back of the net just in front of us.

This game was on my 20th birthday and it made the day for me. Brilliant game and Cornwall's goal was amazing. I was stood in my usual place, behind the goal half way up the North Bank.

i may even have some paper/press cuttings from that game......… I used to save any that I could find back in those days.
remember going mental in the north bank when Cornwell's goal hit the back of the net just in front of us.

Would be amazing if you did and you could scan them to me I’d be very grateful!

Back