• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

AndyT

Lord of the Reedy River
Both seasons, our final home game was, of course, against Rochdale.

I went to both :-

1977-78 - WON 3-1 : Att. 11.253
1980-81 - DREW 1-1 : Att. 10,668

Both seasons were promotion winning ones, with us winning the title in 1980-81. I seem to recall Rochdale taking the lead with a fella blasting one in from about 25 yards.

Memories are of being on the South Bank and everyone invading the pitch at the end.

Great days.

Players who've played for both sides:

Matt Lund
Will Atkinson
Scott Spencer
Blair Sturrock
Brian Barry Murphy
Luke Daniels
Lee Hodges
Joe Ashworth
Damon Searle
Richard Jobson
Simon Coleman

An uninspiring list what?

Matt Lund
Will Atkinson
Scott Spencer
Blair Sturrock
Brian Barry Murphy
Luke Daniels
Lee Hodges
Joe Ashworth
Damon Searle
Richard Jobson
Simon Coleman

That's strange; I don't remember Paul Sturrock managing Rochdale !

Matt Lund
Will Atkinson
Scott Spencer
Blair Sturrock
Brian Barry Murphy
Luke Daniels
Lee Hodges
Joe Ashworth
Damon Searle
Richard Jobson
Simon Coleman

Would adding Crichton Lockhart make it more or less inspiring?

Andy Turner ?

After the match in '78 I went down the seafront with two friends, looked up the dialling code for Watford (they used to be listed behind a plastic screen) and dialled random numbers. The few times we actually dialled a genuine number and it answered, we put a 2p coin in the slot and shouted schoolboy abuse/celebration/education about how we had just been promoted. Bewildered folk in South Hertfordshire must have pretty impressed ...hmmm. We thought so. We also failed to mention Watford had pipped us to the title.
The next day (Saturday) was a warm day and i went down the High Street with a felt-tip tattoo celebrating our triumph - and incredibly impressed a girl i met who went on to become my first "proper ; ))" girlfriend!!

Matt Lund
Will Atkinson
Scott Spencer
Blair Sturrock
Brian Barry Murphy
Luke Daniels
Lee Hodges
Joe Ashworth
Damon Searle
Richard Jobson
Simon Coleman

Some good players there actually, particularly Luke Daniels, Lee Hodges and Richard Jobson.

After the match in '78 I went down the seafront with two friends, looked up the dialling code for Watford (they used to be listed behind a plastic screen) and dialled random numbers. The few times we actually dialled a genuine number and it answered, we put a 2p coin in the slot and shouted schoolboy abuse/celebration/education about how we had just been promoted. Bewildered folk in South Hertfordshire must have pretty impressed ...hmmm. We thought so. We also failed to mention Watford had pipped us to the title.
The next day (Saturday) was a warm day and i went down the High Street with a felt-tip tattoo celebrating our triumph - and incredibly impressed a girl i met who went on to become my first "proper ; ))" girlfriend!!

Done the same Kev...telephone...
But it was 82..after the Falklands war...Stevie W and myself done the same near WH Smiths?? up the top of the high st.
Got through to someone after a long time trying..sung God save the Queen...the biggest waste of 20 pence ever:smile:

Both seasons, our final home game was, of course, against Rochdale.

I went to both :-

1977-78 - WON 3-1 : Att. 11.253
1980-81 - DREW 1-1 : Att. 10,668

Both seasons were promotion winning ones, with us winning the title in 1980-81. I seem to recall Rochdale taking the lead with a fella blasting one in from about 25 yards.

Memories are of being on the South Bank and everyone invading the pitch at the end.

Great days.

That night in 81, John Fenn, Geordie Jimmy Cook & me were on the South Bank. As you say, hordes invaded the pitch at the final whistle.
When we went to get over the wall, a stroppy 'plod' threatened to 'nick' us if we did!!!!!. Miserable bar steward!. So we separated out a few yards, and did it one by one.

Done the same Kev...telephone...
But it was 82..after the Falklands war...Stevie W and myself done the same near WH Smiths?? up the top of the high st.
Got through to someone after a long time trying..sung God save the Queen...the biggest waste of 20 pence ever:smile:

I thought we beat the Argies not Watford

Back