• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Southend United v Salford City, Saturday 27th February, 15:00, FL2

Starting XI and Result

• Mark Oxley

Votes: 93 93.0%
  • Elvis Bwomono

Votes: 92 92.0%
  • John White

Votes: 90 90.0%
  • Shaun Hobson

Votes: 94 94.0%
  • Tom Clifford

• Timothee Dieng

Votes: 89 89.0%
  • Nathan Ferguson

• Kyle Taylor

Votes: 78 78.0%
  • Reeco Hackett-Fairchild

Votes: 57 57.0%
  • Simeon Akinola

Votes: 92 92.0%
  • Emile Acquah

Votes: 60 60.0%
  • Ashley Nathaniel-George

Votes: 26 26.0%
  • Ricky Holmes

Votes: 34 34.0%
  • Brandon Goodship

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Nile Ranger

Votes: 15 15.0%
  • Alan McCormack

Votes: 9 9.0%
  • Jason Demetriou

• Jacob Mellis

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Sam Hart

• Tyler Cordner

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Greg Halford

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • James Olayinka

• Louis Walsh

• Harry Seaden

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Harry Phillips

• Terrill Egbri

• Alex Bass

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Win

Votes: 43 43.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • Lose

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Shrimpergonzo

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver⭐
Staff member
Screenshot 2021-02-25 at 16.14.36.png

Less than 24 hours after the impressive victory against the high flying vegetarians and already we need to look forward to the next game, due to the unusual Wednesday tea-time kick off.

Making their first ever visit to Roots Hall on Saturday will be Salford City, the team partially owned by "the class of '92". They're doing rather well in League Two and on BBC Essex Glenn Pennyfather described them as the best team he's seen this season. However we played them back in October and not many of the team from that night will be guaranteed a start on Saturday. We lined up that night:

Oxley

Bwomono Dieng Lennon Ralph

Olayinka Demetriou

Egbri Goodship K Taylor

Sterling​

I'd like to think the current resources available to MM will see a stronger line up than that.

Salford are currently sitting just outside the playoffs and although they had a great 4-1 win at home to Cambridge at the beginning of the month, their form since then has been a bit more indifferent - winning 1-0 at home to Barrow, Drawing 1-1 at home to Carlisle and losing 2-1 to not one, but two injury time goals (90+4 and 90+6) on Tuesday night at Morecambe.

So what will MM do on Saturday? It's a quick turnaround from Wednesday and we need another high tempo performance, like at FGR, if we're to avoid a 5th successive home defeat. Will he introduce some fresh legs? Will some of the new acquisitions be fit to play a part? Who knows - but why don't you have a little guess at the starting line up and end result? Go on - you know you want to!

I’d love to be unchanged, but Wednesday to Saturday is a quick turnover. I expect JD will probably start and ANG or Holmes in for Acquah.

I'm expecting a draw out of this one, Hopefully I'm wrong and we pick up the 3 points. I expect Holmes might start with Egbri and Ranger making the bench

The game at Salford earlier in the season was the most depressing match this season for me. I know we’ve suffered heavier defeats but I remember trying to work out how we could string enough passes together to get close to their goal, let alone have an attempt on it.

Keep the team the same if possible, especially the midfield if no knocks picked up. Although I suspect MM will do more homework on Salford than I will and make any changes he sees fit.

Think we will see Demi or Macca in for KT due to some noise about KT's recovery after a game and that would be your lot for changes.

Need to keep that momentum going and try to bounce into this one.

Might we see Olayinka and Ranger included on the bench for this one?

Hope - 2-1 win with a goal from Sim and Clifford each

Prediction - 1-1 draw with a demi penny

The game at Salford earlier in the season was the most depressing match this season for me. I know we’ve suffered heavier defeats but I remember trying to work out how we could string enough passes together to get close to their goal, let alone have an attempt on it.

They will think we are easy. All along we have been playing a clever trick.

Really hope after Wednesdays energetic and athletic performance we don't field any of the old guys who can barely get through a game or string two appearances together. We've plenty of options now without going that route.

Oxley
Elvis, White, Hobson, Clifford
Ferguson, Dieng
RHF, Taylor, Akinola
Acquah
Blues 4-0 Primark Man U

H.M.S. **** the league - full steam ahead

Really want us to beat this lot! Hate clubs who buy there way to success!! They are and will always be little salford lower then the non league!! Its only because of gary neville and co they are in the football league!! They are another team who we owe a beating to!! They wont have it as easy this time round!! We must be at our most confident now and our squad is looking really strong! Would love us to follow up Tuesday with another win! Holmes has to start!!

Last edited:
Back