• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

RHB

I'm a Mod too⭐⭐
Staff member
Shrewsbury on Saturday at Roots Hall. They currently sit two places and one point below us in the table so it's all to play for.

Not being at the Peterborough game I'm reliant on those of you who saw it first hand to nominate the starting eleven. My only proviso is that Hunt starts up front.

Bring on the team selections and formations. 4 - 5 - 1 anyone? :winking:

Same 11 that started against Peterborough

Which was:

Bentley,
White, Rea, Barrett, Coker,
Worrall, Leonard, Timlin, Wordsworth,
Hunt, Mooney

Substitutes: P Smith, Prosser, Payne, McLaughlin, Deegan, Pigott & O’Neill

Given the result I think you are right on the starters. I would think Teddy Smith will resume on the bench.

Last edited:
Naturally hoping Phil will go for a 4-4-2.... but you never know with him :smile:

Swatting up on Shrewsbury, they seem to have recently lost their key midfielder (James Wesolowski) for the rest of the season due to a re-uccuring knee injury & oddly put another well respected young defender out on loan to Cambridge (Mickey Demetriou). Fans dont seem best pleased with the actions of the club on the whole.

In terms of their formation, most fans generally agree that they will either a 5-3-2 or a 5-3-1-1 formation (and seem confident in their defensive qualities).

Historically, we have the upper hand in the head to heads. We have won 27 / drawn 15 / Lost 17. The last time we played at Roots Hall was 27th Sept 2014 (we won 1-0). The last time Shrewsbury beat us at the hall was in 2011 (0-2). In our last 10 meetings (spanning 12.5 years) overall we have won 5, drawn 3 and lost 2.

Therefore, (without gloating about my perfect prediction against peterborough last week) im going for the exact same again.. Southend winning 1-0 at half time & 2-1 at full time.

UTB
:happy:

Same starting 11 for me , but think he will find a place for Weston on the bench as he likes his pace as an impact sub ( whatever that means ? )

I feel good about our chances for this one, they've lost a lot of quality players and I don't think the replacements are at the same level.

Same 11. They like to have numbers in the middle of the park....interesting to see how tims and WordsWorth do in there. Hunt or mooney playing a bit deeper may off set this. A win would be amazing.

Which was:

Bentley,
Worrall, Leonard, Atkinson, Wordsworth,
Hunt, Mooney

Given the result I think you are right on the starters. I would think Teddy Smith will resume on the bench.

Which WASN'T!Timlin not Atkinson played in midfield-one definite reason why we looked so much better going forwards.

Which was:

Bentley,
Hunt, Mooney

I would use the same starting 11 also, but isnt Barrett & Coker injury doubts at this stage for saturday.

Which was:

Bentley,
Hunt, Mooney

It was Timlin for Atkinson................Rea or Bolger and Prosser or Barratt and I think that's the strongest team we can field from the squad.

Go 4-4-2 with same 11 and we should get the three points again, up the football league we go:smile:

Shrewsbury also sold the very impressive duo of Woods and Goldson. Both in the league two team of the year. Sold for nearly a million each. Big big loss for them. We should win this!

Not sure where to post this

Sat 12 Sep 2015
As a result of overhead line renewal and track maintenancework, both lines will be closed between Billericay and Southend Victoria all day. Rail replacement bus services will operate between Billericay and Southend Victoria / Southminster in both directions. A rail replacement bus service will also be in operation between Southend Airport and Stratford in both directions for use by Southend Airport flight passengers only.

Also goes to show how well we have done to not lose anyone from the squad, and added quality replacements that have all played at a better level than League two.

Shrewsbury were a better team than us last year.

Not sure where to post this

Sat 12 Sep 2015
As a result of overhead line renewal and track maintenancework, both lines will be closed between Billericay and Southend Victoria all day. Rail replacement bus services will operate between Billericay and Southend Victoria / Southminster in both directions. A rail replacement bus service will also be in operation between Southend Airport and Stratford in both directions for use by Southend Airport flight passengers only.

Yep, somebody kindly alerted us to this last week, so I am making a nostalgic trip down on the c2C line (which I haven't used since before Jack Payne was born).

You will enjoy it, that sea salt fresh air otherwise known as the romantic scent of the estuary on your right hand side from the carriage!! certainly beats the vomit comet that we normally get on the one railway! :smile:

Yep, somebody kindly alerted us to this last week, so I am making a nostalgic trip down on the c2C line (which I haven't used since before Jack Payne was born).

If you have time, why not try the scenic route on the Tilbury loop line, a special treat:thumbsup:

In a normal case I would say unchanged lineup, but in previous matches vs Shrewsbury we've had good success by packing the midfield centrally so I'm a bit conflicted. One of the few occasions a narrow diamond might work for us?

Back