• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Southend United v Tranmere Rovers, Tuesday 9th March, 19:00, FL2

Starting XI and Result

• James Montgomery

Votes: 85 88.5%
  • Elvis Bwomono

Votes: 81 84.4%
  • Shaun Hobson

Votes: 74 77.1%
  • John White

Votes: 82 85.4%
  • Tyler Cordner

Votes: 19 19.8%
  • Tom Clifford

Votes: 84 87.5%
  • Sam Hart

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Jason Demetriou

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Timothee Dieng

Votes: 79 82.3%
  • Nathan Ferguson

Votes: 83 86.5%
  • Kyle Taylor

Votes: 63 65.6%
  • Alan McCormack

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • Jacob Mellis

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • Ashley Nathaniel-George

Votes: 27 28.1%
  • Reeco Hackett-Fairchild

Votes: 62 64.6%
  • Simeon Akinola

Votes: 20 20.8%
  • Emile Acquah

Votes: 62 64.6%
  • Ricky Holmes

Votes: 55 57.3%
  • Brandon Goodship

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • Greg Halford

• Harry Seaden

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • James Olayinka

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Terrell Egbri

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Win

Votes: 36 37.5%
  • Draw

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • Lose

Votes: 17 17.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yes but make sure he is fully recovered this time.
I'm afraid he looked off the pace yesterday and I would have substituted him anyway regardless of the injury.
He just didn't look the same player right from the start and guessing it was a legacy of previous injuries.

Screenshot 2021-03-08 at 09.08.51.png

After two consecutive games on the road, we now have back to back home games the first of which is against the lads from the Wirral, Tranmere Rovers. As someone on Shrimperzone pointed out however, "Fortress Roots Hall" is looking a bit like Hadleigh Castle this year - the last home success being the first game of 2021 against Barrow, exactly 2 months before Tuesday night's fixture. Our Home form in 2021 reads WLLLLD and we really do need to turn this around as 4 points from a possible 18 is most definitely relegation form.

Despite some recent personnel changes, including 4 different goalkeepers in the last 4 games, our defence seems to have at least turned the corner since the Port Vale debacle at the end of January with only 3 goals conceded in the 7 games since then, however our attack has proved to be impotent too with 4 goals scored in the same games, three of those in the game at Forest Green.

Tranmere's form is currently better than ours, but they did lose at home to Crawley on Saturday so that should give us some hope.

Screenshot 2021-03-08 at 09.05.35.png

So who will MM pick to pep up our attack? With Ranger out for the season and Akinola hobbling off on Saturday the options appear to be limited. Maybe rotation in the midfield or wide areas will be the answer - the news that Mellis, Egbri and especially Olaykinka are close to returning should give us some more attack minded options. So who would you choose to start the game and what do you think the result will be?

Three juicy points would be a wonderful tonic to all. When the three points don't come along very often you look at the results of other teams who get them on a regular basis and wonder whether their supporters are taking them for granted? Cannot remember when we went into a game pretty confident of picking up a maximum. Time for the opposition net to be rippling, never mind bulging! Time to see Peter Clarke trudging off the Roots Hall pitch a beaten man. (Strange to recall that when we beat Man U he was in midfield). COYB Please let us feel the majesty and heft of three points. It will be a great feeling!

Will be a tough one. Can see us either winning 1-0 or losing 2-0.
Montgomery
Elvis White Hobson Clifford
Ferguson Dieng Taylor
RHF Acquah Holmes

4231 formation

Loan keeper
Elvis white Hobson Clifford
Ferguson dieng
Reeco holmes ang
Will let MM decide the striker. Doesn't bother me who he plays as their all crap!

Cant see us getting result here if I'm honest. James Vaughan is missing for tranmere so that a plus. but I feel the knock on from the Oldham game will play it's part both mentally and physically. 2-0 tranmere

Like most of our games this one won't easy especially as they lost at the weekend and they are pushing for promotion. They have David Nugent in their ranks so should score goals.We need to score goals so would like MM to be more offensive in his team selection.Guess Akinola wont make it and he will probably go with ANG instead but would like to see Holmes involved

Ideally we'd keep the 4-2-3-1 that we were playing before Acquah was taken off, assuming that Akinola is injured but everyone else is fit I'd go for something like

Montgomery​
Bwomono​
White​
Hobson​
Clifford​
Ferguson​
Dieng​
RHF​
Taylor​
Holmes​
Acquah​

Maybe swap Taylor for Demitriou and push Dieng further forwards, he's looked good when he's been asked to push forwards recently.

Montgomery

Elvis Cordner White Clifford
Fergy Dieng
ANG goodship Reeco
Emile
Get goodship in and around Emile to feed off the scraps and shoot. Seen tweets saying to pay Dieng up top, Jesus wept!

I see a win in this game.

There have been occasions this season when we have not got the result in a game and the fans become ( rightly so ) disgruntled and fed up, and we have improved in the next game. Remember the Col U debacle in the tin pot trophy, we then won away at Walsall. Then we had the Port Vale horror show and we next won 1-0 away at Newport.

Oldham was not a horror by any means, but MM knows we should have won.

I just think we will see a reaction after throwing away 2 points on Saturday.

18 goal James Vaughan won’t be available for them as he needs surgery.

Fitness and availability will still have an impact on the remainder of the season.

Having looked at some clips of Reeco at Bromley I don’t understand why we haven’t tried him down the middle. He is 6ft 3in tall, quick but very left footed. On the right wing predictably he has to stop and cut back onto his left foot. We have cover on the flanks - surely it’s worth a try.

Three juicy points would be a wonderful tonic to all. When the three points don't come along very often you look at the results of other teams who get them on a regular basis and wonder whether their supporters are taking them for granted? Cannot remember when we went into a game pretty confident of picking up a maximum. Time for the opposition net to be rippling, never mind bulging! Time to see Peter Clarke trudging off the Roots Hall pitch a beaten man. (Strange to recall that when we beat Man U he was in midfield). COYB Please let us feel the majesty and heft of three points. It will be a great feeling!

If Soccerbase and my mental arithmetic are correct this will be his 812th first team appearance. Played every League game and a few cup ties this season. Puts a lot of youngsters to shame!

Back