• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Official Match Thread Southend United v Tranmere Rovers

The Big Dady

¡Viva la Kevolución! ⭐️ ⭐️
Staff member
The Official Match Thread brought to you by ShrimperZone.com

So here we are the twelfth League One home game of the 2019/20 season and Sol Campbell’s fifth league home game in charge as manager of the Mighty Shrimpers.

Our twelfth League One match at home is against Tranmere Rovers
SkyBet League One.jpg
SUFC.jpgVS.pngimage.png
It is now time for ALL of us to get behind him and the team whether you are at Roots Hall, listening on the radio, listening or watching on ifollow, make that famous "Roots Hall Roar.

Sol Campbell’s 5th Southend United League One Home Team of the 2019/20 season

EOAUUhcXUAA2-zR.jpg

The Roots Hall pitch looks fantastic and is ready for action at 3.00pm Saturday 11th January 2020 against Tranmere Rovers. It looks like we are going to have a overcast afternoon with a fresh breeze, it will feel cold so wrap up warm.

EOAI2dbWoAA3EIX.jpg

EOAR3anW4AIX1e5.jpg

EOAR2J2X4AAZGfD.jpg

Here is the weather forecast for this afternoon at Roots Hall

SUFC v Tranmere Rovers Weather.jpg

Current League home record after 11 home games

Won 0
Drawn 3
Lost 8
Goals scored 11
Goals conceded 34

League Positions Last Season

19th (2018/19 Season) League One Southend United
6th (2018/19 Season) League Two Tranmere Rovers (Promoted via Playoffs)

League Positions Current Season

21st (2019/20 Season) League One Tranmere Rovers
22nd (2019/20 Season) League One Southend United

Recent League Position Change
SUFC v Tranmere Rovers Positions.jpg

Previous Five Meetings

Tranmere Rovers 1-1 Southend United (L1 18/10/19 Att. 7,066)
Southend United 1-0 Tranmere Rovers (L2 11/04/15 Att. 5,846)
Tranmere Rovers 1-2 Southend United (L2 22/11/14 Att. 4,621)
Southend United 1-1 Tranmere Rovers (L1 13/02/10 Att. 6,382)
Tranmere Rovers 2-0 Southend United (L1 24/11/09 Att. 4,317)

Head to Head record

Southend United Wins: 15

Draws: 15
Tranmere Rovers: 21

Come On You Blues!

In Memory of our Captain Chris Barker

skysports-chris-barker-obit_4881335.jpg
Thank you for your 142 League and Cup appearances for Southend United between 5th August 2010 and 9th August 2013, he was also voted Player of the Year in the 2010/11 season, and was appointed Captain in his second season.

Chris scored his first and only goal for Southend as they were defeated by Crewe Alexandra in the 2011–12 League Two play-off 2nd leg at Roots Hall.

Honours

Club

Cardiff City
  • 2002–03 Second Division play-off winner
Southend United
  • Football League Trophy runner-up: 2013
Individual
  • 2004–05 Cardiff City Player of the Year
  • 2010–11 Southend United Player of the Year
Chris Barker RIP.jpg Chris Barker after scoring his only goal for Southend United against Crewe Alexandra

Chris Barker RIP 2.jpg
Southend United's Captain Chris Barker

Chris Barker 23.png
Chris Barker walking on the Wembley pitch as Southend United’s Captain prior to the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy Final against Crewe Alexandra.

Chris Barker RIP 3.jpgA proud moment for Chris Barker walking the Southend United team out as Captain at Wembley in the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy Final against Crewe Alexandra.

Southend United Football Club can announce plans to pay tribute to former captain Chris Barker at Saturday’s game against Tranmere Rovers.

Barker, who spent three seasons at Roots Hall after joining in 2010 and made 142 appearances, sadly passed away last week at the age of just 39.

Before the kick-off this weekend (Southend United v Tranmere Rovers) there will be a minute’s silence to remember the 2010/11 Player of the Year and we are also calling on supporters to clap in the 39th minute of the game.

The matchday programme for the game will be dedicated to Chris, with a special front cover design along with a tribute inside from former teammates. And supporters who buy the programme will also be donating to a worthy cause by purchasing one.

With the support from our printers, Ignition Sports Media, we are delighted to announce that 50p from every copy sold this weekend will be donated to Mind Charity, which is also the EFL’s Charity Partner.

Mind provide advice and support to empower anyone experiencing a mental health problem. For more about how they can help, click here.

The Football Club would like to reiterate that our thoughts and condolences are with the Barker family, friends, former teammates and colleagues at this difficult time.

Full Story

EOAI2fUWkAA2iLs.jpg

EOAI2gVX0AEp7XF.jpg

RIP Our Chris Barker

Managers Pre-match Views

Tranmere Rovers

Micky Mellon Tranmere Rover’s manager talks to their OS before travelling to Roots Hall.

Micky Mellon.jpg
Micky Mellon Tranmere Rover’s Manager

Tranmere Rovers manager Micky Mellon believes that his players will come up against a “competitive” Southend United outfit when they visit Roots Hall in Sky Bet League One on Saturday afternoon.

Rovers head to the Essex coast for a fixture with Sol Campbell’s Shrimpers as they return to third-tier action after a break of ten-days.

And speaking ahead of the clash this weekend, the boss gave his thoughts to the local media.

Mellon said: “Southend are very competitive, and we have to be mindful that we’ve got our own house to keep in order.

“We have to start producing results and picking up points moving forward because ultimately we want to be a competitive League One team all of the time.

“We’re still very much working forward to do that, but we know if we can put a whole performance together, then we can compete with anybody.

“But we know that we have to do that more often, and the players that have come in will certainly help us to moving more closer to achieving that.

“It can be very strange because you wouldn’t say there’s any standout teams in the league as individuals.

“I think that makes it very, very tight at times and the games are always very close, so it’s of no surprise to me that Southend are one of the teams close.”

Link to full story
Link

Peter Clarke.jpg
Peter Clarke the Ex Southend United Centre-Back now at Tranmere Rovers

Tranmere Rovers centre-back Peter Clarke expects a tough test down at Southend United on Saturday afternoon, though he is confident of three points at Roots Hall.

Micky Mellon’s men return to Sky Bet League One action for the first time in ten days on the Essex coast this weekend, with Clarke due to come up against his old side, where he made over 100 appearances between 2006-2009.

And the experienced defender is positive about TRFC’s chances away at Sol Campbell’s Shrimpers.

Clarke said: “We have a tough game down at Southend on Saturday, one which we want to give a good performance and get points on the board.

“There is a real good group of lads and a real good group of staff. There is a togetherness and we all want to do well for the Football Club and that is paramount because it is vitally important that players work hard and do their best.

“I see no reason why we can’t pick up points, move up the league and have a good end to the season.

“Going up two divisions it was always going to be difficult, it was always going to take time to settle, but there is lots and lots of good signs that we have a good group of players that know how the manager wants to work.”

Clarke made his Rovers debut as he started in last Saturday’s 3-3 comeback draw at Premier League club Watford in the Emirates FA Cup third-round, and he is looking forward to kicking on in a white shirt.

He added: “I’ve been here just over a week and I feel really at home from the first moment I walked into the Club.

“I knew kind of what to expect in terms of the Club having played here on numerous occasions so I was delighted to get it sorted and get in, and I can’t wait for the games to come thick and fast now until the end of the season.”

Link to full story
Link

Southend

Sol Campbell talks to Chris Phillips at the Echo before today’s game with Tranmere Rovers

Southend United boss Sol Campbell focusing on football not finances

Sol Campbell Echo.jpg
Sol Campbell Southend United’s Manager Focusing on football

Southend United manager Sol Campbell is focusing on football and not finances ahead of Saturday’s clash with Tranmere Rovers at Roots Hall.

Sections of the Shrimpers squad are still waiting to receive their wages for December which were due on New Year’s Eve.

But Campbell is doing all he can to ensure Blues will be in the right frame of mind for this weekend’s League One encounter.

And when asked by Echosport if all the players had been paid Campbell said: “I’m not too sure on that and I’m not going to go into that scenario. I’m stepping back from that and I’m concentrating on the football.

“For me it’s all about making sure the team is right and that they’re preparing right.

That’s all I can do.

“I don’t know what’s happening above me.

“I’ll do my best to make sure everyone is comfortable and has trained well for the games because we’re professional footballers.

“Other than that it’s out of my remit.

“I’ve got nothing to do with it and I have to make sure the guys are ready to work and play on Saturday.”

Blues sit second from bottom in the League One table having triumphed just once in 24 games.

The Shrimpers are 15 points from safety and seem destined to be back in League Two next season.

Link to full story
Link

Come On You Blues!

The Big Preview

Southend United vs Tranmere Rovers

Big Preview.jpg

Overview

Southend United return to Roots Hall for the first time in 2020 as they host fellow relegation strugglers Tranmere Rovers in a massive League One six-pointer on Saturday.

Blues haven’t played since their New Year’s Day draw at AFC Wimbledon, while Tranmere were in Emirates FA Cup action last weekend, coming from 3-0 down to draw with Premier League Watford, before playing Leicester City U21 in midweek Leasing.com Trophy encounter.

And while Rovers’ eyes may be fixed on the replay against the Hornets next week, Sol Campbell’s side hope to steal in and snatch a potentially vital three points to help kick start their survival hopes.

The game will be Blues' first since the sad passing of former captain Chris Barker. A tribute will be held prior to kick-off with a miniute's silence taking place, while former players Ryan Cresswell and Ryan Leonard will be back at Roots Hall and joining Ben Clarkson and John White in the tribute.

Form

Blues go into tomorrow’s meeting with Tranmere off the back of successive draws in the league, with the 1-1 draw at AFC Wimbledon being preceded by a 2-2 draw at home to MK Dons.

That draw at the Cherry Red Records Stadium extended Southend’s run without a league win to 15 matches, dating back to September 21st, with Blues picking up three draws in their last six matches.

Tranmere picked up a superb 3-3 draw against Watford in the Emirates FA Cup at the weekend, but in the league they have struggled of late and are without a win in their last three matches.

Last Meeting

Friday 18th October 2019

Tranmere Rovers 1-1 Southend United

Mullin (p)85’; Hopper 9’

Paul Mullin’s late penalty for Tranmere meant the spoils were shared at Prenton Park as Southend drew 1-1 against Tranmere Rovers on a wet and miserable Friday night on the Wirral.

Tom Hopper marked his return to the starting line-up by scoring with a well-taken finish after just nine minutes, but Blues were denied a win thanks to Mullin’s penalty five minutes from time.

Blues Team News

John White has returned to training after being forced to miss the AFC Wimbledon game on New Year’s Day due to illness.

Sam Barratt was a late call up as a result of White’s absence, returning to the Blues squad for the first time since August 2018, but Campbell will be careful not to rush the winger.

Harry Lennon has had his operation on his broken leg and will be out for the season, while Ethan Hamilton and Layton Ndukwu are no longer with the club after their loan deals were cut short.

Tranmere Danger Man

Morgan Ferrier is the one to look out for tomorrow afternoon and someone that some at Southend should know all about after the club tried signing the striker in last season’s January window.

Ferrier was at Walsall at the time and, after deciding to stay at the Bescott, struggled to find his shooting boots but the London-born frontman has already exceeded his goal tally from last season.

So far this season for Tranmere, Ferrier has notched eight goals in all competitions, including two in his last four matches, making him one of Tranmere’s main threats.

Ref Watch

Alan Young will take control of proceedings at Roots Hall tomorrow afternoon, along with Adrian Tranter and Matthew Lee as his assistants and Callum Walchester as the fourth official.

Young has officiated 23 matches so far this season, including a particularly feisty affair between Ipswich and Wycombe where he showed 11 yellow cards.

In total Young has shown 110 yellows and two reds this season and last took charge of Blues for their 2-0 defeat to Peterborough United back in August.

Tickets

Saturday is Southend’s second and final ‘Kids for a Quid’ game of the season which allows junior Blues fans 16 or under in for just £1.

Tickets are available to purchase via the Blues Box Office.

Apart from Juniors and u9s, prices will increase on matchday with tickets available right up until kick-off and you can find out more information about ticket availability and pricing by clicking here.

Link to full story
Link

Southend United v Tranmere Rovers Programme

Chris Barker Programme.jpg

SUFC Programme.jpg
The matchday programme for Saturday’s game against Tranmere is dedicated to former captain Chris Barker.

On sale for £3 around the ground, with 50p of each copy sold being donated to Mind, the programme includes tributes to Barker from Paul Sturrock, Mark Phillips, Ryan Leonard, John White, Michael Timlin and Glenn Morris.

We are encouraging as many supporters to get their hands on this issue with the special tribute to Barker and in the hope of generating awareness of the work Mind do, providing advice and support to anyone experiencing a mental health problem.

More about that can be found here.

We'd also like to remind supporters to try and arrive early ahead of the minute's silence.

Also inside the programme, the Quickfire Questions are answered by Sam Barratt, while the usual programme notes from manager Sol Campbell and Timothee Dieng look ahead to the important clash against Micky Mellon's Tranmere.

There’s lots more besides, with SUEPA discussing their player visits planned for the remainder of the season and the Shrimpers Trust providing a report on 2019, looking ahead to 2020.

Make sure you don’t miss out!

Link to full story
Link

If you’re unable to attend the game and wish to purchase a copy, click here to order yours.

Come On You Blues!

Such a sad day remembering Chris Barker and what a fantastic asset he was to us in so many ways. :Sad:

Let's hope we go out and win in his memory.

UTB.

Such a sad day remembering Chris Barker and what a fantastic asset he was to us in so many ways. :Sad:

Let's hope we go out and win in his memory.

UTB.

What I’d give to have some of his leadership, passion and class at the club right now. A true gentleman, a proper no thrills player and just an absolute club legend.

RIP Barks, hope these lot give you the send off you really deserve.

I’d give anything for even half of those players from Luggys squad! I’d even take Zabooub and Craig Easton over what we have now

SOUTHEND United manager Sol Campbell has made one change to his starting line-up for this afternoon's clash with Tranmere Rovers.

More...

Back