• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Southend United v Woking, Saturday 13th November, 3.00pm, NL

Starting XI and Result

• Steve Arnold

Votes: 81 87.1%
  • Rob Howard

Votes: 53 57.0%
  • Jason Demetriou

Votes: 14 15.1%
  • John White

Votes: 41 44.1%
  • Kacper Lopata

Votes: 82 88.2%
  • Shaun Hobson

Votes: 70 75.3%
  • Nathan Ralph

Votes: 63 67.7%
  • Charlie Sayers

Votes: 8 8.6%
  • Jack Bridge

Votes: 79 84.9%
  • Nathan Ferguson

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • James Dunne

Votes: 48 51.6%
  • Abu Ogogo

Votes: 13 14.0%
  • Harry Phillips

Votes: 52 55.9%
  • Zak Brunt

Votes: 82 88.2%
  • Louis Walsh

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • Terrell Egbri

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • Matt Dennis

Votes: 10 10.8%
  • Rhys Murphy

Votes: 74 79.6%
  • Sam Dalby

Votes: 74 79.6%
  • Matt Rush

Votes: 12 12.9%
  • Harry Seaden

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Erin Kinali

Votes: 6 6.5%

Votes: 1 1.1%

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Win

Votes: 45 48.4%
  • Draw

Votes: 19 20.4%
  • Lose

Votes: 6 6.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Would either of the 2 people who have voted for Seaden over Arnold in goal, care to explain?
Genuinely baffled on this one as cannot see it. Great to have Harry as a back up keeper in the squad, but that is it for this season.
I didn't vote for Seadon but one could imagine because Arnold is injury prone

Max Kretzschmar is a goal-scoring midfielder who, like Tom Whelan, could have been snapped during the summer. Kretzschmar will need watching.
He's 28. No way would Brown have signed him. He sits firmly in that pocket between youth and vets.

And that said Prior & Sodjie 33 and 34 in the middle v Man U when we were in the championship, just goes to show age is a bit irrelevant….

Last edited:
Would either of the 2 people who have voted for Seaden over Arnold in goal, care to explain?
Genuinely baffled on this one as cannot see it. Great to have Harry as a back up keeper in the squad, but that is it for this season.
I actually did for a laugh..... couldn't imagine anyone else would!! How wrong can you be! ?

From the Woking fans forum. A bit cheeky......

Southend-on-Sea, is a large coastal town and unitary authority area with borough status in south eastern Essex. It lies on the north side of the Thames Estuary and smells like it. It is bordered to the north by Rochford and to the west by Castle Point. It has a one and a third mile pier so if you want to jump into the water at the end you will avoid the raw sewage. Southend also has a small funicular lift because residents are too lazy or too fat to walk up to the high street from the seafront. They were expected to be challengers for the National league this season, how’s that going?

Prediction: SOUTHEND 2 (Murphy, Dalby) WOKING 2 (Max Alexander Kretzschmar, Tahvon Ravell Campbell)
Ref 5/10
Attendance 5402
Weather Cloudy with small possibility of sunshine 10 degrees mostly dry wind 15mph nw.

At least he predicts a draw, even if he doesn't seem to realise that we're now a city.

We could see over 5,000 on Saturday again.

4828 Sold*​

3305 seats available.
That is fantastic for a National League game!

If anything it's the fans showing the club doesn't belong in this league.

I'll be there in the Shrimpers Bar with the missus and a mate around 2.15 and after the game. Anyone come and say hi if you recognise me .... be good to meet some people on here.

Arnie
Hobo, Loppy, Ralph
Walsh, Phillips, Brunt, Fergie, Bridge
Dalby, Murph

Proper 3 5 2.
All owning their own position.

Walsh and Bridge have pace.

This would/might be youngest, (non umbongo) selected squad for a while for a league game?

The next visitors to Roots Hall have something in common with Manchester United - they also have a 100% losing record against the mighty Shrimpers!

We've only played Woking once before, and it was a rare victory wearing the custard splat shirt under the tenure of Alvin Martin. We won 2-0 at their place in the cup (goals by Nathan Jones and Phil Gridelet) - highlights can be seen here for those interested:

At the time we were similarly in the doldrums, albeit 3 divisions higher than we are now.

The Cardinals sit comfortably mid-table at the moment, 7 points ahead of blues, but their recent form has been somewhat mixed. They had a blank weekend last weekend after being dumped out of the cup by Horsham and the previous Tuesday they lost at home to Bromley. It will possibly be a chance for us to see what we missed out on with former trialist winger Jordan Maguire-Drew who has 6 appearances for them this season and has scored one goal. However he started the last game on the bench.

As for blues, we feared the worse after last Saturday in as much as our two blades loanees looked likely to be unavailable for this fixture - however with Zak's red card being rescinded and Kacper's Skyscanner skills finding him an earlier flight back from international duty in Bucharest it seems maybe both will be potential starters after all.

Rhys Murphy went off with what looked like a nasty dead leg late in the game last Saturday and it remains to be seen whether any of the other injured players will be back.

Despite the final score on Saturday, it wasn't a bad performance (compared to some earlier this season anyway) and there seems to be a bit more confidence around the team now. It remains to be seen who Kev and the gang will pick to start in an effort to get back to back home wins (and a rare one with a Saturday 3pm Kick Off one to boot), but who would you choose to start and what do you predict the result to be?
It’s amazing how much footage there is of, let’s face it, a pretty dull first round fixture back then. And that the players turned up in suits!
And that stat about Woking getting to the second round for 9 years in a row (until we put a stop to it ?) is pretty impressive…when have we ever managed that I wonder?

I don't think we will see much change from last Saturday depending on late fitness tests.

Arnold
White Lopata Hobson
Howard Dunne Ferguson Bridge
Brunt
Murphy Dalby
Subs: Arnold, Sayers, Ogogo, Walsh, Rush

Hopefully, from that lineup, Lopata will be ok to come straight in after his flight and Murphy will be 100% ready. I think Rush will come in for Murphy if he isn't ready.

I hope Ralph will be ready, but I doubt he will be 100% to start. Otherwise I'd have him LCB and Hobson RCB. Phillips could come in for Ferguson too if he has shaken his knock.

Demetriou and Ogogo also up for selection again, but I'm not convinced either would improve the starting line-up. Maybe Ogogo on the bench.

That still leaves out Egbri, Dennis, Kinali, and Atkinson (keep forgetting we have him).

It’s amazing how much footage there is of, let’s face it, a pretty dull first round fixture back then. And that the players turned up in suits!
And that stat about Woking getting to the second round for 9 years in a row (until we put a stop to it ?) is pretty impressive…when have we ever managed that I wonder?
We haven’t. We reached at least the second round in eight successive seasons between 1931/32 and 1938/39 and then in seven successive seasons between 1973/74 and 1979/80 (when Harlow Town stopped us making it to at least the third round in each of those campaigns). I think Woking were seeking to make it nine in a row when we stopped them in 1997/98.

Back