• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Official Match Thread Southend United v Wycombe Wanderers

These are grown men who the club pay their wages ( well sometimes)...or they have to try to find a job elsewhere. Professional footballers who have the life others dream of.

I have NEVER NEVER known such bollocks...you are paid to do a job, choon your own mind in or **** off....all this mampy pamby conifidence stuff wants to make me puke.

Can you ever imagine that in your office life.... Oh we are so sorry you do not feel confident..it would be ..tata.

Grow up FFS.

Powell signed a lot of these wasters (Dieng and Mantom spring to mind immediately). He absolutely deserved to get sacked. Get over it.

But people said things would improve and anyone could do better?

Hmm. It's as if sacking him was a waste of time and the real issue is tge shysters we have masquerading as Southend players

Oh come on, there were over 30 applicants! We would have had plenty of other options. My gut is that Ron went for the 'Harry Redknapp's mate' showbiz factor. TBF I doubt anyone could keep this bunch up but I do feel Bond was a poor choice.
Allegedly 30 applicants... and one of those could have been me.

Powell signed a lot of these wasters (Dieng and Mantom spring to mind immediately). He absolutely deserved to get sacked. Get over it.
Exactly. It's Powell's anonymous, characterless midfield that is the main reason for our struggles. It's just a black hole without an ounce of fight, creativity or leadership. A poor team like Wycombe were made to look good by our gutless inability to compete. Summed up by Manton giving up on a ball that hadn't even gone out of play when he turned his back on it.

There isn't a player who can pick a pass in the midfield and there isn't a player with pace in the whole squad.

It is Powell's squad so hard to judge Bond.

However why is Keen still there? Ex Wet Spam so Brian Dear influence perhaps? Is that why Harry was approached too and we ended up with Bond ??

Anyway a blind man could tell you that Kiernan would be wasted in that midfield.

In my opinion we should have gone with three CB being White, Lennon, Kiernan, with Hart and Demi playing as out and out wing backs to try and make up for the lack of pace, Cox in midfield with Dru and Mantom holding with Humphreys and Kelman up front.

Instead we selected Kightly (not interested, no pace , offers nothing) Dieng and Mantom (not interested, unable to pass, unable to tacke in fact unable to f**k all) and Kiernan who was a fish out of water and was too deep.

Paul Clark said on BBC Essex that our Team was a defence and an attack with no midfield. That was teh same Team that i saw ........yet again.............today

It's not a mental thing, it's because away sides typically sit back. We don't have any creative midfielders and so we are completely nullified when there isn't space to play (which there sometimes is in away matches because the other side pushes up field).
Completely not true today. Wycombe pushed forward the entire game, we played like the away team and were absolutely hopeless, so that disproves you theory. It is very much in the mindset.....

Completely not true today. Wycombe pushed forward the entire game, we played like the away team and were absolutely hopeless, so that disproves you theory. It is very much in the mindset.....

Agree. I noted a specific point in the game - about 30-odd minutes in - that we had just successfully defended a corner, where the ball had gone back into Wycombe’s half, Instead of our midfield pushing up, we sat back and gave them a chasm of space, across the entire middle of the pitch, which effectively invited them to attack again.

That’s definitely a petrified mindset. A mindset which has beseeched us over the last few months.

The thing is, I thought that mindset was Chris Powell’s fault? And yet, he hasn’t been near the team for weeks....

But people said things would improve and anyone could do better?

Hmm. It's as if sacking him was a waste of time and the real issue is tge shysters we have masquerading as Southend players

I don't think many did say it would improve; it was done too late IMO, but a change needed to be made to see if anyone could make a difference.

Unfortunately it's just proved how bad CPs signings were (both ability and injury records) and how poor our fitness is.

The biggest thing for me next season is to get a manager in who will work on players fitness and you never know, we might even see an improvement in some players performances.

Agree. I noted a specific point in the game - about 30-odd minutes in - that we had just successfully defended a corner, where the ball had gone back into Wycombe’s half, Instead of our midfield pushing up, we sat back and gave them a chasm of space, across the entire middle of the pitch, which effectively invited them to attack again.

That’s definitely a petrified mindset. A mindset which has beseeched us over the last few months.

The thing is, I thought that mindset was Chris Powell’s fault? And yet, he hasn’t been near the team for weeks....
Ricky Duncan and Kev where shouting at the midfield to get moving forward and faster right from the start against Wombles.
Bond was shouting the same yesterday from early on.......BUT the players wouldn't or couldn't do it.
We see it, the management see it but only they can do something about by substitutes etc BUT it is 3 months too late.

The problem is that Ron kept with CP until too late. The January transfer window was a disaster and frankly he should have been got shot of before then. But got to keep with the fans favorite manager.

Ricky Duncan and Kev where shouting at the midfield to get moving forward and faster right from the start against Wombles.
Bond was shouting the same yesterday from early on.......BUT the players wouldn't or couldn't do it.
We see it, the management see it but only they can do something about by substitutes etc BUT it is 3 months too late.

With a centre mid of Kiernan, who's a yard off the pace and looks like his feet are made of cement, and Dieng, who I don't think's run faster than a trot all season, what do they expect?

Play the same old **** players, get the same old **** result. Why's Dru not given a chance? Dru And Hyam (if fit), if not Mantom next week please.

Bond TBF hasn't been here long, yet still sounded utterly bemused by just how bad we were yesterday. Has he not watched videos of our recent home games at least? Maher/Duncan have been here all season and should know better.

Usually by Sunday night I've calmed down after each **** perfomance, I'm still fuming right now.

With a centre mid of Kiernan, who's a yard off the pace and looks like his feet are made of cement, and Dieng, who I don't think's run faster than a trot all season, what do they expect?

Play the same old **** players, get the same old **** result. Why's Dru not given a chance? Dru And Hyam (if fit), if not Mantom next week please.

Bond TBF hasn't been here long, yet still sounded utterly bemused by just how bad we were yesterday. Has he not watched videos of our recent home games at least? Maher/Duncan have been here all season and should know better.

Usually by Sunday night I've calmed down after each **** perfomance, I'm still fuming right now.

I was wondering how much influence Kevin Keen has had on the team selection given that CP's old favourites keep their places and no Taylor Moore - is Bond taking too much advice from KK? Wonder why he didn't also leave when Damian Matthew did ?

Why do they see it and still insist on playing the culprits ahead of Yearwood. How Bond deemed a McLaughlin who has struggled to find any sort of form all season and a young player completely out of his depth as more appropriate substitutions than Yearwood is beyond belief.

I made a specific point of watching Kevin Keen during the warm up yesterday. Matthew was very much the public Assistant Manager, the one that was heavily involved in the pre match warm ups and the one that would place himself within the game from the bench. Yesterday during the warm up, Keen wanderered around, totally on his own, staring into space and didn’t interact with any player or staff. He didn’t even bother to involve himself with the shooting drill, meaning the players had to organise it themselves. For the game, as per, he sat in the second row of the dugout, completely mute until Bond summoned him after the hour mark. Just what does he do? Just what is the point? How has someone who got told to stay away from the club when Duncan and Maher in charge now come back and essentially had a promotion?!?

Trouble is none of them can run fast - so they hang back so they’ve not got so far to run back when we have to defend.

We’ve lacked pace all season. No one can sprint and they can’t turn quickly. It’s not that they are not fit ... they just aren’t athletic enough for today’s football.

Wycombe’s number 11 he was a joy to watch.

I'm shocked sacking Powell changed nothing, just shocked. Who could have seen that happening?...

Actually it has Shrimper, the youngster are being told what to do, maybe not showing but according to a player who I meet, he has stated the preparation is top drawer and players understand what the manager wants, whether it will translate on to the pitch in time is another thing.
Interesting conversation regarding Powell who is a lovely guy but not strong enough when chips are down, as posted on another topic, Fleetwood coach home was awkward with calling out of a player, but made the point of what he expects
Not saying KB is the right candidate, but he is making progress with the players

Back