• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Southend United v Yeovil Town, Tuesday 11th January, 7.45pm ko, NL

Starting XI and Result

• Steve Arnold

Votes: 65 83.3%
  • Jason Demetriou

Votes: 48 61.5%
  • Shaun Hobson

Votes: 56 71.8%
  • Kacper Łopata

• Josh Coulson

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • John White

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ollie Kensdale

Votes: 18 23.1%
  • Nathan Ralph

Votes: 63 80.8%
  • Tom Clifford

Votes: 48 61.5%
  • Will Atkinson

Votes: 50 64.1%
  • Harrison Neal

Votes: 64 82.1%
  • Nathan Ferguson

Votes: 15 19.2%
  • Lewis Gard

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • Harry Phillips

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Abu Ogogo (injured)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • James Dunne (Injured)

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Jack Bridge (Not available - COVID)

Votes: 10 12.8%
  • Louis Walsh

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Terrell Egbri

• Matt Dennis

• Sam Dalby

Votes: 63 80.8%
  • Rhys Murphy

Votes: 64 82.1%
  • Matt Rush

• Eren Kinali

• Collin Ndeng-Ndi

• Harry Seaden

• Leon Davies

Votes: 10 12.8%

• Win

Votes: 42 53.8%
  • Draw

Votes: 22 28.2%
  • Lose

Votes: 6 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shrimpergonzo

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver⭐
Staff member
The games are coming thick and fast now after our long lay off and the first visitors to Roots Hall since Dorking Wanderers lost there in the FA Trophy on 18th December are Yeovil Town - fresh from their FA Cup defeat against Bournemouth on Saturday.

Our first game against the men from Somerset was in 1958 in the FA Cup, and our most recent game against them was in the same competition in 2017. Overall we have a pretty good record against them, winning 10 of the 18 games in all competitions.

Up until Christmas, The Glovers were in tremendous form and had an 11 match unbeaten run (9 wins and 2 draws) including knocking League 2 Stevenage out of the FA Cup. However since Santa came to visit their form has dipped somewhat. Over the Christmas period, they lost both league games in their double header against Torquay and of course yesterday evening's FA Cup game 3-1 against Championship high flyers Bournemouth.

Hopefully there will be some tired Yeovil legs after their game against higher opposition, but they would seem to offer a more potent threat than struggling Weymouth and so we will have to be on our best form.

This game should see a home debut for the latest young blade to join us on loan, Harrison Neal (had he been 30 years older, those names surely would have been the other way round!). He seems to offer us some additional energy in central midfield as opposed to those who can't (Dunne, Ogogo) or won't (Ferguson) run around a lot, and although his play maybe not as easy on the eye as Zak Brunt, he may be more of the kind of player that we need in the relegation dogfight that we are currently in.

Maher and Co. seem to be setting us up as a more attack minded side and it will be interesting to see whether they persist with three up front against a team who will offer more of a threat than Weymouth - certainly Rhys Murphy will I'm sure be motivated to do well against his former side.

This is the second match in succession against a team from whom a previous manager was tempted to make the trip to the South Essex Riviera, although of course when Yeovil's manager made the move from Somerset he was already well acquainted with the charms of Essex from his two previous stints with us.

It will be interesting to see whether Maher opts to stick with a winning side for Tuesday evening. It will certainly be great to get back to watch a league game at Roots Hall for the first time in 4 weeks, but who would you choose to start and what do you predict the result will be?

Last edited:
I watched their game last night and Joe Quigley looked a real handful up top and the young right back Daniel Moss looked really threatening getting forward from right back. Our left hand side will have to be on top of their game.

I really hope we play with a bit more confidence at home like we have in the last two away games. We seem so scared to play at home. I really hope the crowd back the team throughout the game and leave the 'Martin Out' chants to after the game.

On the team front, I don't know if Demi can play two games so close to each other. Unless Kev tells them to get through this one with the promise of a rest on Saturday in the cup.

It's nice to look forward to a game for once. Bring it on!

I have the same concern ref Demi playing twice in 4 days. Also wonder if Jack Bridge will be clear and negative on the Covid testing to feature, certainly hope so.

Also if we win and Wealdstone lose, it will be another team overtaken.....

Looking forward to Tuesday anyway!

Would expect the same 11 that started on Saturday to go again. However, points raised about Demi playing 3 games in a week are very valid - Bridge would be the obvious replacement imho, COVID pending.

Don’t change a winning side although agree if JD can’t play and Jack Bridge is available then replace JD with bridge. Going for a 2-0 win

We are probably playing Yeovil at a good time. They will be tired and deflated following their cup defeat, I think. Hopefully they won't be as focused on this match as they would normally have been.

They are a good side, strong and with some skill too. They have an effective strike force. Quigley is a real threat. He has scored 7 goals in 15 matches (so rather better than Murphy's 7 from 20). Yussuf and Wakefield have scored ten goals between them.

Reactions: Dvg
Tough game against a good side with aspirations of the playoffs.

Think we're going to have to hope they have an off day. A win yesterday was vital but a quick perusal of the Weymouth board suggests their fans thought we were very, very poor, albeit slightly better than them.

We’re turning the corner. Better organised, fitter, more options… Another bold showing coming up….

Surprised at people saying replace JD with Bridge - not sure I've ever seen Bridge play RB/RWB before!

Think we're going to have to hope they have an off day. A win yesterday was vital but a quick perusal of the Weymouth board suggests their fans thought we were very, very poor, albeit slightly better than them.
I wonder what constitutes a team that is very, very poor. It must be a team that gets a clean sheet, concedes hardly any chances and creates a hat full of chances themselves. Guilty as charged, we were very, very poor.

For a team down the bottom, our form has been decent of late to be fair.

Screenshot_2022-01-09-19-27-50-62_d29973efd0ded056752aedcf6cbf62ac.jpg

If Demi unable to play that new lad when signed was said he was both a cd and rb ,perhaps tat being so he can play the RB /RWB position, otherwise i wonder if Clifford can play that position and Ralph to LB/LWB and kensdale or Coulson into CD OTHERWISE MOSTLY THE SAME LINEUP

I wonder what constitutes a team that is very, very poor. It must be a team that gets a clean sheet, concedes hardly any chances and creates a hat full of chances themselves. Guilty as charged, we were very, very poor.

For a team down the bottom, our form has been decent of late to be fair.

View attachment 18326
Oh there was doubtless an element of sour grapes about their posts, but I would caution against getting carried away just yet. Still lots of work to do and Yeovil are a good side. Their efforts in the FA Cup on Saturday may have taken a bit out of them but they are clearly still a better side than us, hence the need for Tuesday to be a bit of the after the Lord Mayor's Show for them if we're going to win.

Not sure what game they were watching. It wasn’t an amazing performance, But we weren’t even poor. Never mind ‘very, very, poor’.

They’re just bitter that their own performance was completely useless.

4300 tickets sold

Not bad considering, if you look at some of the FA Cup crowds over the weekend ( the less glamorous ones)

Support is there, and just amagine if we was in the top four ;-)

Oh there was doubtless an element of sour grapes about their posts, but I would caution against getting carried away just yet. Still lots of work to do and Yeovil are a good side. Their efforts in the FA Cup on Saturday may have taken a bit out of them but they are clearly still a better side than us, hence the need for Tuesday to be a bit of the after the Lord Mayor's Show for them if we're going to win.
Oh I totally agree. However, everyone expected a hammering at Bromley and we more than matched them. I was more encouraged by that performance than the Weymouth one. It was against good opposition trying to get to top spot and we spanked them in the second half.

Yeovil have lost their last 3 (2 in the league) and I don't think it will be a one sided game like it would have been early season.

Hoping Murphy finds his scoring boots against his former club. Be nice for one of our players to score against their old club rather than our former players scoring against us!

A point to carry on the unbeaten run would be nice but that being said, the squad are probably feeling more confident now than in a long a time so 3 points would be another huge step in the right direction.

Avoiding defeat would be huge for confidence!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back