• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

RHB

I'm a Gnu, how do you do!⭐⭐
Staff member
Last game of the season, it seems like only yesterday that we were getting excited for the start of this one. Where does time go?

Anyway, to business. After 3 wins on the trot we entertain Bristol rovers at Roots Hall. We got stuffed 3-0 at their gaff in December so it might be fitting if we roll out another of our 4-0 home results as repayment and finish the season on a high. I'm probably being a bit optimistic on the scoreline, but why not?

Starting line up for me:

Oxley

Demetriou White Kyprianou Bwomono

McLaughlin Yearwood Mantom Kightly

Cox Fortune

I'm including Fortune over Robinson for sentimental reasons,as this may be his last first team appearance. Anyway, thoughts views, predictions, opinions, whack 'em down on here for the last time this season.

Other than hoping we score 4 to wipe out our negative goal difference ( I know we won our opening game , but think we went ‘negative’ very early in the season ? ) , I would like SCP to use this as a game to give several youngsters a game.
Don’t let them worry too much about the result , but just give them a taste of the first team - we have nothing to lose really.
As for Fortune, I think he has been excellent this season and really hope he stays.
His ‘hold up’ play is superb and allows others to support and build attacks.
Too often without him , we lose possession quickly and are put back under pressure.

Last game of the season, it seems like only yesterday that we were getting excited for the start of this one. Where does time go?

Anyway, to business. After 3 wins on the trot we entertain Bristol rovers at Roots Hall. We got stuffed 3-0 at their gaff in December so it might be fitting if we roll out another of our 4-0 home results as repayment and finish the season on a high. I'm probably being a bit optimistic on the scoreline, but why not?

Starting line up for me:

Oxley

Demetriou White Kyprianou Bwomono

McLaughlin Yearwood Mantom Kightly

Cox Fortune

I'm including Fortune over Robinson for sentimental reasons,as this may be his last first team appearance. Anyway, thoughts views, predictions, opinions, whack 'em down on here for the last time this season.
I'd start Robinson and hope he bags a couple more goals to give him real confidence going into the summer/start of next season. Otherwise, I'd pick the same team. Bring some of the youngsters on during the game to give them more experience.

Finishing on a high would be good for everyone involved at the club, also the fans and may be the clincher with any prospective transfer targets. We need to show the wheels are firmly on the bus.
Our last game squad has done enough to deserve the selection against The Gas and with their confidence high they must have every chance of another victory.
Whomever is chosen, White who continues to slay his critics, should remain as Captain. Don't fix what ain't broken.

We need to go full strength, look for 4 on the spin, batter Brizzle and finish the season on a high for a few different reasons IMO:

- Keep fan engagement and enthusiasm at the highest level.
- Certainly won't damage our hand with transfer targets in the summer.
- Ensure the players get the send-off they deserve for a largely excellent few months of performances.

I would like to see some more of our youth team players feature if possible. Obviously Kyp, Bwomono and Dru will feature but I would like to see those who have been in and around the squad this season given a run-out ... (off the bench, being 4-0 up again)

Finishing on a high would be good for everyone involved at the club, also the fans and may be the clincher with any prospective transfer targets. We need to show the wheels are firmly on the bus.
Our last game squad has done enough to deserve the selection against The Gas and with their confidence high they must have every chance of another victory.
Whomever is chosen, White who continues to slay his critics, should remain as Captain. Don't fix what ain't broken.

And of course “going round and round” .....

What he said, innit.

Some tough decisions for Chris Powell given the performances from the strikers over the past ten days. The defence more or less picks itself.

Bristol Rovers are similar to ourselves, very strong at home but weak away and therefore could be there for the taking on Saturday. Be nice to avoid another 'double' as I think only Shrewsbury have done that to us this year.

Thinking about it, it's quite interesting that of the four home defeats this season, three are among only five teams we've beaten away.

I think we fed the Goat until he was 36 years of age and contributed to promotion? Fortune seems fitter, so I would like to keep him as part of our striker set up next year and give him at least a part run out on Saturday, to say thanks.
Unable to attend as I will be at a civil partnership ceremony on the isle of Mann. At the mo you cant have this on our mainland unless you are of the same sex !! Its a funny old world !, however Cmon you blues a revengeful 4-0 hammering would be nice

Results tonight mean if we win Saturday, we'll almost definitely (barring a ridiculous goal fest by Bradford!) finish 9th. I'd have bitten your hand off for that in mid-January!

So after 46 games we could be just a few points -3 wins- off the play offs. I hope for us scoring at least 2 goals to get us to 40 in a season at Roots Hall for the first time since the 1987/88 season - 30 years! We only managed the 1 goal last year to end on 39!

If really like to see some of our cracking youth team get a spot on the bench. Emile Acquah has done the business all season. It would be great to reward him with a bench spot and possibly a few minutes at the end of the match.

It's important that we keep on rewarding good youth performances. It will stand us in good stead when trying to attract top youth released from the prem.

Just looking at the current form tables we are 3rd over 6 matches and 5th over 10 matches.

Bristol Rovers are quite a way down and have only won 1 game in the last 10 matches.

Just over 6,200 tickets sold....guessing Brizzle will bring a few (in fancy dress??) - be nice to top 7,000 on the day :thumbsup:

Easy sell more than that. Probably more like 8k. I would imagine brizzle will bring about 800+

We will sell close to 7k pre match and another 3-500 On The day, not including corporate and away fans.

There will be another SUEPA event at the game v The Gas on Saturday.

It will be a more modest affair than the last game but it does involve a SUFC true legend and also one of our oldest fans. There will be an article in the match day prog, on the website in a day or so plus I'll post up a bit on the SUEPA FB and Twitter pages, but in brief:

- our FOURTH record appearance holder TONY BENTLEY will be present. He is on a visit over from his home in Canada so we've sorted the opportunity to get him to Roots Hall and make a bit of an event of it. Tony was a full back who made 417 apps for us in the 1960's.
- he will be accomanied by his friend Ray Sorrell, aged 90, who first saw SUFC play in 1933 at The Kursaal! I've met Ray and he is a lovely guy, he lives locally, visits to Roots are rarer for him now but he was at the recent Gills match and he recalls lots of key games over the years including the Bert Truatman match in the mud in the 50's.
- both will be introduced to the fans shortly before kick-off
- I'm in the process of seeing whether we can manage an opportunity for anyone who wants pics/autographs with Tony (and Ray!), possibly in the Legends Lounge after the match. If anyone would specifically like to come and say hello to them do let me know.

More SUEPA events will be staged next year - been a bit quiet since the last match managing my move to Swanage in Dorset but will be back on track soon and got a new SUEPA member or two lined up to post details of on our social media pages later this week (one possibly holds a current record - trying to find out more re that - and one if I can finally nail it is someone we have been after for ages!)

Anyone know how I can change my name on SZ from Suffolk Shrimper? Thinking about 'Suffolk Shrimper In Dorset' unless anyone has any better ideas - whatever, certainly a tad less convenient for home games but I moved so that when we next draw Yeovil away in the cup I'll be handily placed. :stunned:

UTB

Anyone know how I can change my name on SZ from Suffolk Shrimper? Thinking about 'Suffolk Shrimper In Dorset' unless anyone has any better ideas - whatever, certainly a tad less convenient for home games but I moved so that when we next draw Yeovil away in the cup I'll be handily placed. :stunned:

UTB

Throw a few notes my way and I'll make it happen.

(Alternatively ask a mod!)

Back