• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Official Match Thread Southend United vs Bristol Rovers

The Big Dady

¡Viva la Kevolución! ⭐️ ⭐️
Staff member
The Official Match Thread brought to you by ShrimperZone.com

So here we are the sixteenth League One home game of the 2018/19 season and Chris Powell’s first full season since his return and time in charge at the Mighty Shrimpers.

Our sixteenth match at home is against Bristol Rovers
SkyBet League One.jpg
SUFC.jpgVS.pngimage.png

It is now time for ALL of us to get behind him and the team whether you are at Roots Hall, listening on the radio, or watching on ifollow, and make that famous "Roots Hall Roar".

Chris Powell's 16th Southend United League One Home Team of the 2018/19 season

DyZ8d7JXQAA5SLA.jpg

The Roots Hall pitch looks fantastic and is ready for action at 3.00pm Saturday 2nd February 2019 against Bristol Rovers, It looks like we are going to have an overcast afternoon with some sunny intervals but it will be bloody freezing for the game so wrap up warm.

DyZvmBGXcAAsEn1.jpg

DyZr6hhW0AAQvaa.jpg

DyZr6hhX4AAtVIE.jpg

The weather forecast for today at Roots Hall

SUFC v Bristol Rovers Weather.png

Chris Powell’s current League home record

Won 12
Drawn 2
Lost 9
Goals scored 42
Goals conceded 25

League Positions Last Season

10th (2017/18) League One Southend United
13th (2017/18 Season) League One Bristol Rovers

League Positions Current Season

12th (2018/19 Season) Southend United
23rd (2018/19 Season) Bristol Rovers

Recent League Position Change

SUFC v Bristol Rovers Positions.png

Previous Five Meetings

Bristol Rovers 0-1 Southend United (L1 25/08/18 Att. 8,172)
Southend United 0-0 Bristol Rovers (L1 05/05/18 Att. 8,179)
Bristol Rovers 3-0 Southend United (L1 09/12/17 Att. 8,062)

Bristol Rovers 2-0 Southend United (L1 11/03/17 Att. 9,274)
Southend United 1-1 Bristol Rovers (L1 20/08/16 Att. 6,084)

Head to Head record

Southend United Wins: 47
Draws: 28

Bristol Rovers Wins: 40

Wiggle it, Just a Little Bit!

Managers Pre-match Views
Bristol Rovers

Graham Coughlan talks to the ECHO before his return to Roots Hall

BRISTOL Rovers boss Graham Coughlan returns to Roots Hall tomorrow insisting he will forever be grateful for the opportunities he received at Southend United

The Irishman, who has been in charge of the Pirates since December, spent almost eight years with the Shrimpers before being dismissed alongside Phil Brown in January 2018.
But Coughlan still remains thankful to Blues.

“I will forever be eternally grateful to the chairman Ron Martin and to the club as well for the chances and opportunities I was given there,” said the 44-year-old.

“I really enjoyed my time there and we went through a lot together.

“I remember coming in with Paul Sturrock in 2010 when the club was battling extinction if we’re being honest about it.

“But I enjoyed the challenge that was put in front of us and would like to think I played a big part, alongside many others, in the progress we made.

“It was tough but we were in and around the play-offs for a lot of the time I was there, we had two trips to Wembley and so many great memories that I’ll never forget.”

However, Coughlan, who held a variety of roles during his time with Blues, did feel hard done by when he was relieved of his duty early last year.

“I’ll be honest about it and I was extremely disappointed and gutted when Ron sacked me,” said Coughlan.

“I had been extremely loyal to the managers and felt as though I didn’t realise deserve it.

“But I don’t hold grudges and I’ve probably spoken to Ron more in the past 12 months than in the eight years I was at the club.

“He’s very driven and craves and wants success for Southend but sometimes things happen for a reason in football and I’ve got a great opportunity with Bristol Rovers now.”

Rovers remain second from bottom in the League One standings, despite having suffered just one defeat in nine games with Coughlan in charge.

And the Irishman is relishing his first stint as a manager.

“I was 10 years the bridesmaid and wasn’t sure if I would ever get this chance so I’m loving it,” said Coughlan.

“It’s a fantastic club and the fans are so passionate.

“They’re nuts but it’s a two club city just like I had in Sheffield during my own playing days so it’s right up my street.”

Rovers’ quest for safety will continue this weekend and Coughlan is looking forward to being back at Roots Hall.

“There are so many great people behind the scenes at the club who it will be great to see again,” said Coughlan.

“They work tirelessly and take great pride in working for Southend.

“I made some great friends during my seven or eight years there and I’ll always want the best for them, just not this weekend of course.”

Link to full story
https://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/17403095.bristol-rovers-boss-graham-coughlan-forever-grateful-to-southend-united/

Southend United

Chis Powell talks to Chris Phillips at the ECHO ahead of the game with Bristol Rovers

Chris Powell is desperate for Southend United to improve their ‘worrying’ home form.

The Shrimpers - who host Bristol Rovers tomorrow - have already suffered eight League defeats at Roots Hall this season.

And Powell is eager for Blues to start picking up more points at their own ground.

“It’s been a strange thing for us this year,” said the Shrimpers boss.

“Every game we’ve lost at home has been by the odd goal which has normally been by quite late on.

“It’s a worrying trend because you want to be strong at home.

“You want your fans to come and feel as they we’ve got a good chance but it’s been a tough one for us.”

Only bottom of the table AFC Wimbledon have suffered more home defeats than the Shrimpers in League One this season.

And Powell is not sure why Blues have been below at their own base.

“Roots Hall notoriously over the years has been a tough place to come to,” said Powell.

“(Luton manager) Mick Harford was saying that last week but they won with a set piece and it’s another one ticked off for them.

“But we need to make it our home and we haven’t done that.

“We don’t want it to become a negative so the players don’t want to play at home because the fans are always good.

“They will always stick by the team and I know that.”

However, Powell is also fully aware the Shrimpers are facing some stern tests at Roots Hall.

“We have to turn it around but we have some tough ones to come,” said Powell.

“Barnsley, Sunderland and Portsmouth have to come here still but all we can do is take each game on its merit.

“We have to make sure we turn up and we haven’t done that enough at home.

“We have to turn things in our favour and make it difficult for every side coming here.

“We haven’t cracked that so far but hopefully we can in the games we have left.”

That quest will begin against Bristol Rovers this weekend.

But the Pirates could also provide the Shrimpers with a stern test, despite them sitting second from bottom in the standings.

“Bristol Rovers have done very well on their travels,” said Powell.

“They’ve got some vital wins on the road and won at Oxford just after we played there.

“They’ve done pretty well away from home and we’ll have to guard against that because they will want to carry that on and put us under pressure.”

Link to full story
https://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/1...chris-powell-determined-to-improve-home-form/

Wiggle it, Just a Little Bit!

Clarke-Harris will no doubt come on and score against us.

I hope we've been working on shape, pressing and cohesion this past week. We weren't quite sure whether to go or stay last weekend so hopefully we're a bit more familiar now. Last weekend the wing backs suffered by not knowing how far up to play so we got in a bit of a mess. Sort those issues out and I think we can carry on the sequence

It’s pointless going 5-3-2 when one of your wing backs is Bwomono. If we had Demi it would be more effective. Would rather have seen a 4-4-2 at home! Not confident in the slightest, let’s hope I am proved wrong.

Back