• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Southend United vs Coventry City

What's your choice for Saturday's starting 11?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
South Stand / Family area should be filling up - I believe it's junior shrimpers day - maybe kids for a quid ?? not sure but hey if so....:Clap:

Plus Coventry usually have a good away following ...should / could be busy ..8k plus would be excellent

Me and the kid have roped the missus into coming along for her first game, so certainly hoping for a bigger crowd. Don't think theres any reason why there shouldn't be, teams playing well and getting results so hopefully thats reflected in the stands.

Would like to see Elvis continue at right-back. Admittedly only watched highlights (extended) of the Gills game but I've liked what I've seen from him, if Demitrou is going away next month why not give the kid the chance to make that shirt his for the next couple? That being said, I'd probably contradict myself and put Hopper back in if fit. Theo as an impact sub. Think confidence will be high and that decent away form will finally start coming through at RH.

Not just a JB day, free tickets handed out for local schools of which my kids are part of it so an ideal chance to get them down to the hall with their friends to cheer on the Blues.
Sons birthday on Wednesday so he'll be wearing his new SUFC kit on Saturday! :Happy:

This is through Future Blues, which is another Club initiative to get children interested. Hope he enjoys it and Happy Birthday for next Wednesday!

For the first time in many years, this will be the 2nd successive game I will see!

Moving Ldnfatso's collage from the Spread (where it was removed from the wall) to its new home in the Shrimpers!

Oxley
Demi
Hendrie/Lennon/White
Turner
Moore
Coker
Dieng
Dru
Mantom
Cox
Robinson

Think Elvis will be sacrificed, if Lennon or White fit, so will Hendrie.

Want to go to this, as we're going down to see mum. Just have the small problem of convincing Mrs MK who's last game was about 9 years ago in the middle of winter. :Cry:

Tricky one this. What a luxury to have competition for places where more than one option for several spots genuinely merits inclusion! Chris must be delighted to have this headache.

My guess (and it’s a complete punt) is that he will go for:

Oxley
Demetriou
White
Turner
Moore
Coker
Yearwood
Dieng
Mantom
Cox
Hopper

Subs: Bishop, Lennon, Hendrie, Bwomono, Kightly, Klass, McLaughlin, Robinson
That could well be the best starting line-up,unless Lennon is fit enough to take over from White yet.
Of the 8 subs,Klass-poor at Colchester-to drop out. McCoulsky must be a better bet than Theo and a fit Bunn should also be included.

Not really fair on anyone to lose their place after a 2-0 win, would send the wrong message surely? You lose the shirt, you have to earn it back.
I don't quite agree with this. If Hopper is fit he has to play - he's our top scorer and has been one of our best players this season.

Sorry guys this is Pro football... Pick your strongest team. Players were out through injury and an International call up rather than dropped. There is a difference.

Hopper in for Theo. Let’s face it Theo is better per minute of the bench anyway.

Demi for Elvis as you shouldn’t punish Demi for being an International. but as others have pointed out you do need lots of energy to do an effective overlapping wing back job. However i have a feeling we may see our first Pen at the Hall this season.

Hendrie done ok down at Gills, but not enough to push JW out of a 3CB’s defence.

We may of course revert to 4-4-2. But that would mean a lopsided one wide man... Kightly? ...Not Sure CP would do that and in any case when PB did it with Atkinson he was a player who could cover a full back but also give cover in the middle. Not a good role for Dru or Dieng.

Sorry guys this is Pro football... Pick your strongest team. Players were out through injury and an International call up rather than dropped. There is a difference.

Hopper in for Theo. Let’s face it Theo is better per minute of the bench anyway.

Demi for Elvis as you shouldn’t punish Demi for being an International. but as others have pointed out you do need lots of energy to do an effective overlapping wing back job. However i have a feeling we may see our first Pen at the Hall this season.

Hendrie done ok down at Gills, but not enough to push JW out of a 3CB’s defence.

We may of course revert to 4-4-2. But that would mean a lopsided one wide man... Kightly? ...Not Sure CP would do that and in any case when PB did it with Atkinson he was a player who could cover a full back but also give cover in the middle. Not a good role for Dru or Dieng.

Hopper is clearly better than Theo but Theo's pace gives us something extra that I think we lacked v Oxford. Maybe Robinson and Hopper with Cox playing behind them?

But then who drops out in midfield? I suppose Dieng could drop back to centre-back but I'd be reluctant to make too many changes to the backline as I want to see us build some consistency there and stop chopping and changing so much.

I usually like a 4-4-2 with one winger and one midfielder tucking in but I don't think we have anyone in that Mark Bentley/Carl Pettefer/Will Atkinson type mould - maybe Demetriou is the closest. But as above, who do you then drop from central midfield?

I have lots of questions but few answers.

Want to go to this, as we're going down to see mum. Just have the small problem of convincing Mrs MK who's last game was about 9 years ago in the middle of winter. :Cry:

Sounds strangely like my situation; except I just told the missus & mother that I was going whether they like it or not - and the Tuesday game too!

We could go back to 4-4-2. Get Macca and Kites back in and back to the side / formation that served us so well at the end of last season.

I do wonder if the lack of Yearwood at the start of the season had an adverse affect on the way Macca / Kightlyplayed, as there was no-one breaking forward from midfield creating a bit more space for them to work in.

We could go back to 4-4-2. Get Macca and Kites back in and back to the side / formation that served us so well at the end of last season.

I do wonder if the lack of Yearwood at the start of the season had an adverse affect on the way Macca / Kightlyplayed, as there was no-one breaking forward from midfield creating a bit more space for them to work in.
If you could convince me on the form/pace of either (delete as appropriate) then maybe they would have a case, but I honestly don't think we have really missed either of them in their current form. Catch 22 really, both are really valuable assets when on top of their game, but how do we get them back to that level, especially when others are performing?

If you could convince me on the form/pace of either (delete as appropriate) then maybe they would have a case, but I honestly don't think we have really missed either of them in their current form. Catch 22 really, both are really valuable assets when on top of their game, but how do we get them back to that level, especially when others are performing?
As you say it's a bit of a Catch 22, was their form just bad, or was it because of the way we were set up at that time? They didn't look good, so you can't really put them back in, but if you do put them back in they may look better... I still think Macca will come good, form is temporary but class is permanent, and he was class last season.

What wonderful problems to have. 5-3-2 is the right way to include Dieng, Mantom and Yearwood and get the best out of them. Our best side almost picks itself and there is real competition for places now the injuries seem to be clearing up.

This is through Future Blues, which is another Club initiative to get children interested. Hope he enjoys it and Happy Birthday for next Wednesday!

Oh he'll enjoy it alright, already been to 3 games this season and he's very much into all things SUFC and loves the games, encouraging signs at 5 (6 tomorrow!)

Simple.... buy her a bag of chips, a Rossi Ice cream, and take her for a romantic walk up to the top of the pier, and about 14:20..... leave her there & leg it towards Roots Hall !!

Back