• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

manor15

Super Moderator⭐⭐
Staff member
Suspect there will be changes for this one, possibly Barrett losing his place, Coker may well depend on his fitness. With Timlin supposedly available again and Deegan coming off the bench on Monday perhaps there will be midfield changes. Will Pig get a chance to prove himself before his loan expires? Is Hunt up to another game, and if not, will we go with Pig or will it be Payne up front and a more solid midfield with Atkinson?

I suspect we'll go:
Bentley,
White, Thompson, Prosser, Coker,
Payne, Leonard, Deegan, McLaughlin,
Mooney, Hunt (if fit)

I agree with manor15 that there will be changes for the "bounce back" and that some injuries will get given the time to mend up.
I also think that Phil has recognised that high and hopeful balls forward to our strike force won't cut it. Also the midfield needs mobility and help so wing backs are important to have success on the flanks.

Bentley
O'Neill, Thompson, Rea, White
Wozza or Mclaughlin, Deegan, Leonard, Timlin
Payne (if ineffectual then Mooney)
Hunt (to start then Piggott)

Phil may want to make changes early doors in this game if plan A isn't being followed.

difficult to call really because we can't know about health and fitness.

i'd think it's likely there will be a few changes. I don't really know what i'd go for in central defence, maybe Thompson and Bolger might be my preferred two longer term but it's hard to choose between any of them.

my ideal midfield would be Worrall, Leonard, Timlin, McLaughlin
then maybe Payne and Hunt.
that would be cool to see how that goes

Phil said today that Timlin is not fit but Coker is OK. I suspect he might go as follows:

Bentley

White Thompson Barrett Coker

Deegan Leonard

Payne

Hunt Mooney McLaughlin​

The back four has to be changed. I expect Deegan to start and it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to see Pigott start for what could well be his final match.

Bentley
White, Thompson, Prosser, Coker
Worrall, Deegan, Leonard, McLaughlin
Pigott and Mooney/Hunt

I would leave it more or less the same except leave Payne out.
He too me is a good impact player, and can be briilliant, but dies not have the stength, to last 90 minutes, and drifts out of the game.

Bentley
White. Thompson. Prosser. Coker.
Worrall. Atkinson. Leonard. Mc Laughlin
Mooney. Hunt

Phil said today that Timlin is not fit but Coker is OK. I suspect he might go as follows:

Bentley

White Thompson Barrett Coker

Deegan Leonard

Payne

Hunt Mooney McLaughlin​

I like the look of that formation. Like to see that applied.

For me it'd be

Bentley
White, Thompson, Barrett, Coker
Worrall, Deegan, Leonard, Mclaughlin
Payne
Hunt

utb :thumbsup: Happy new year

Last edited:
Whatever happens, I'd like to see Deegan back on Saturday. As soon as he came on against Millwall, he was up for it. Wanted to be involved in everything, always looking for the ball and to move it on quickly to try and get the team going

Whatever happens, I'd like to see Deegan back on Saturday. As soon as he came on against Millwall, he was up for it. Wanted to be involved in everything, always looking for the ball and to move it on quickly to try and get the team going

I agree. Not the best passer of the ball, but if you want to install some passion and bite in the midfield after a poor performance, he's your man !

I agree. Not the best passer of the ball, but if you want to install some passion and bite in the midfield after a poor performance, he's your man !

Deegan needs to understand his role, that is to break up play and to pass the ball to someone nearby. No need looking for killer balls, leave that to those who are better at it.

Deegan needs to understand his role, that is to break up play and to pass the ball to someone nearby. No need looking for killer balls, leave that to those who are better at it.

Deegan has a good range of passing and can play the killer pass. It's more likely that Deegan does the break up role best

Deegan in for me. After we lost 0-3 at Chesterfield he came in 4 days later at Gillingham and really made a difference. Something the Gills fans were happy to admit at half time.

As for his passing, he is a lot better than some think. He does look forward and wants to play the ball quickly. Which means of course he will lose the ball more often than a 'play for their stats' type of player.

He too me is a good impact player, and can be briilliant, but dies not have the stength, to last 90 minutes, and drifts out of the game.

Bentley
Mooney. Hunt
Payne drifting out of games is such a myth, maybe when he first started playing a couple of years ago but not anymore. Did he drift out of the Bury game where he won a penalty and scored in the last 15 minutes?

Last edited:
Rovers do not bully the opposition, but are under Fergie a very counter attacking side, wanting to move the ball fast from back to front. Sometimes play three at the back, three midfield with two wingers moving from defence to midfield depending on the run of the game. We play two up front Williams (12 goals so far this season) and Tyson, Stewart or Grant in the hole behind the strikers. Rovers have recently drawn away at Burton and Coventry. My hunch is that we will get a draw at Roots Hall.

Bentley
Mooney. Hunt

Get with the programme grandad. Most things come thru Payne now, he is here to stay and does a lot more then Mooney and doesn't keep getting caught offside

Payne plays, Payne doesn't play: the issue is that THE WHOLE TEAM plays and does its role. Mooney, Hunt or Payne, who ever, they can not take the whole goal scoring burden or blame.
The problem against Millwall was that when we went behind the team seemed to be afraid of going forward for fear of being caught out at the back.
We have been blessed by goals through out the squad from unlikely sources (JW at Col Ewe) AND it must be a team game as we have no modern Sir Fred or Stanleys anymore.

Payne needs to start this game in my opinion, yes he is effective against tired legs being used as a super sub, but I think he has earned his merit within the starting line up and is just as effective from the kick off as he is in the last 20 minutes. He can always cause trouble running against defenders, his only weakness is his body strength (however he's come a long way from a few years back, when even my nan could have taken him out with a cocktail stick).

On another note, Happy New Year fellow shrimpers... the last time we played a League One fixture on January 2nd, was 2006 (against Blackpool) and of course will be 10 years to the day. We won 2-1 on that day..

So purely on that basis, im considering to put a bet on for the same scoreline come this Saturday.

Any idea on ticket sales BTW? I would imagine an attendance of around 6,500 odd.

UTB
:happy:

Back