• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Southend United vs Fleetwood Town

Anyone who is crying for this Hutchinson lad to start needs their head screwed on properly. The kid has played once vs a L2 reserve team and scored a goal. He hasn't even made the bench (?) for a league game nor even made a sub appearance.

Wabo had a few cameo appearances under Brown but CP clearly doesn't think he is ready. The bloke isn't shy of throwing youth players into the mix but Wabo would be lucky to make it on as a sub.

Tomorrow is going to be a tough game, even harder now that they've signed Ross Wallace, a brilliant set piece player vs what is, at the moment, our Achilles heal. We need to stick to experience

If I recall correctly, the last time we played Cod at home, last January, we lost and by the following Wednesday PB was no more, Ron having had enough. Certainly in that game our nemesis Madden scored. Stating the obvious to say we need to tighten up at the back. The pressure on CP to start McGoalsky must be intense but as has been seen this season, CP is loyal to his contracted players, probably to a fault. And here's hoping the two CMFs are fully fit and can grab a hold of the game. How we need that first (and, preferably, early) goal to settle the lads down. Yet another real battle me thinks. CYB

As with previous games I hope CP plays only players that are fit; and that he plays them in their positions. If Mantom isn't fit then bench AND don't replace in midfield with a full back. I expect Barton's team to be robust and we need to match that BUT also not get any more cards and certainly not a red.

SOUTHEND United winger Harry Bunn grew up supporting Joey Barton from the stands - but that will not stop him trying to ruin the former midfielder’s weekend.

More...

SOUTHEND United boss Chris Powell has been impressed by Joey Barton’s start in management with Fleetwood Town but feels his biggest test is yet to come.

More...

So what if he's our top scorer; I was referring to recent performances and 1 goal in 3 (and that was a tap in from 2 yards he nearly missed) isn't exactly quality form
I’m more than happy for him to score 20 tap ins

How many tap ins has Cox got this season?

So what if he's our top scorer; I was referring to recent performances and 1 goal in 3 (and that was a tap in from 2 yards he nearly missed) isn't exactly quality form
But he still scored and is our top goal scorer... honestly I give up

No but he nearly missed mate. Obviously needs dropping for being in the right place at the right time and scoring too many tap ins
So if we are dropping players who score but almost miss, are we picking players who almost score and miss? Robinson is good for that

And how did that 2 yard tap in happen? Good play by Cox. Leave the front two alone, they are fine. Got to get two fit centre mids and a solid centre back pairing. I would go for Taylor and Turner myself. Maybe even switch White to right back, Male sure we don’t concede.

Not just Madden but Bolger should be worth a few quid. When Turner went off injured back in January we had no one who could deal with him.

I wonder if CP will acknowledge his mistake and name Turner back in the staring 11

I'm dreading going to the Hall tomorrow...

Hopefully Demetriou has had a decent amount of rest. He got a fair bit of criticism last week but that was his third match in a week or thereabouts.

Has anyone seen enough from Stockdale to say he was worth the emergency loan yet?

Turner and Moore at the back I think. Nothing against JW but we tried he and Moore together and it didn't work. Hopefully Turner can marshall the back line and Moore can be the mobility.

Upfront, Robinson and Cox. I don't think we've seen it this season? I think Robinson can make some good runs off Cox. That games against Gills' is still firmly in my mind. Like JW, nothing against Hopper but you can't play the same hand and expect something different...

Hutchinson for McLaughlin would be nice to see but I doubt it'll happen.

This is all assume we play 4-4-2. Still not sure why we haven't played 5-3-2. With two capable wing-backs and out of form or suspended wingers [Bunn being the expection] and leaking goals. A third CB might be enough to keep a clean sheet!

I see they have signed Ross Wallace just in time to face us. Don't know much about him, but his CV isn't to bad.....Ex Scottish international and previous clubs were Sunderland, Preston, Burnley and Sheffield Wednesday.

No goals in that front line. Also no point in trying every combination once and then changing when it doesn’t work, no consistency. Hutchinson had played 9 minutes of first team football ever, while we need to get out of a rut he’s not the player we need

I'm dreading going to the Hall tomorrow...

Hopefully Demetriou has had a decent amount of rest. He got a fair bit of criticism last week but that was his third match in a week or thereabouts.

Has anyone seen enough from Stockdale to say he was worth the emergency loan yet?

Turner and Moore at the back I think. Nothing against JW but we tried he and Moore together and it didn't work. Hopefully Turner can marshall the back line and Moore can be the mobility.

Upfront, Robinson and Cox. I don't think we've seen it this season? I think Robinson can make some good runs off Cox. That games against Gills' is still firmly in my mind. Like JW, nothing against Hopper but you can't play the same hand and expect something different...

Hutchinson for McLaughlin would be nice to see but I doubt it'll happen.

This is all assume we play 4-4-2. Still not sure why we haven't played 5-3-2. With two capable wing-backs and out of form or suspended wingers [Bunn being the expection] and leaking goals. A third CB might be enough to keep a clean sheet!

If McCoulsky doesn't start or is not given at least 20 minutes at the end, then I almost give up. (I will never give up really). It's not like our strikers are pulling up tree's or looking dangerous.
The other thing guys and gals, it's predicted plenty of rain. Just to let you know before you turn up in your summer wear.

Back