• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Southend United vs Morecambe FC. 26th September 2020 15:00hrs FL2

What would be your starting 11 for Saturday and what do you think the result will be?

• Total voters

RHB

I'm a Gnu, how do you do!⭐⭐
Staff member
1600606031794.png

Next up at Roots Hall, Morecambe FC, so it's the Shrimpers versus the Shrimps. They got a pretty massive seeing to last Saturday losing 0-5 at home to Cambridge Utd. So maybe another side that will be lacking in confidence, one can only hope as our record against this lot is second to none!! Any Morecambe fans looking in, you are very welcome to join the debate and share your views.

Normal pre-match stuff including a starting eleven poll complete with blank spaces for the new signings that will undoubtedly appear this week, or alternatively as a place for smart arses to park their vote anyway.

We have a horrendous record against this lot, and they’re likely to be down at the bottom end of the table with us, come the end of the season. They narrowly nabbed a 1-0 win against Oldham on the opening day, (another poor team), and then got hammered 5-0 by Cambridge yesterday.

In short, they’re not some footballing superpower, and in normal times - bogey team aside - it’s a game we would absolutely be looking to win, and win well.

Not sure about Dieng, Lennon & White, but I would expect Demi to be back and starting on Saturday.

Of course though, there’s always the worry that we’re going to lose players atm, due to our financial situation, so who knows what the line-up will likely be come Saturday.

We have a horrendous record against this lot, and they’re likely to be down at the bottom end of the table with us, come the end of the season. They narrowly nabbed a 1-0 win against Oldham on the opening day, (another poor team), and then got hammered 5-0 by Cambridge yesterday.

In short, they’re not some footballing superpower, and in normal times - bogey team aside - it’s a game we would absolutely be looking to win, and win well.

Not sure about Dieng, Lennon & White, but I would expect Demi to be back and starting on Saturday.

Of course though, there’s always the worry that we’re going to lose players atm, due to our financial situation, so who knows what the line-up will likely be come Saturday.
Don't fret @GBJ, I've factored in players going and coming with a clever blank insert in the poll. It's all under control.:Smile2:

Best case scenario, with Akinola ready to play and Demi, White, Dieng fit (I discounted Lennon, I reckon it'll be a few weeks until he'll potentially start):

Oxley
Demetriou Hobson White Ralph
Dieng McCormack
Kinali Hutchinson Green
Akinola

Worst case with none if the aforementioned available:

Oxley
Bwomono Hobson Taylor Ralph
Gard McCormack
Kinali Hutchinson Green
Kelman

Either way I'd drop Goodship who's been particularly poor IMO. Tbf Hutch hasn't been much better, but I do feel he's being played out of position. I'd like to see him given a chance in the role Goodship's been playing behind the striker. Elvis and Kelman have also been sub par and I'd bench both if we've got other options.

I'd also like to see Kinali given a chance ahead of Egbri, he really impressed me in his handful of appearances last season. His work rate was excellent and he harassed defenders constantly which I feel is just what we need right now.

I doubt Akinola is going to be ready to start, if he is registered?

...................Ox
....Elvis, Dieng, White, Ralph
Demi, Kineli, Macca, Hutch, Green
....................Kelman

Desperate means, and we need to be looking to be tighter at back, while hoping Kelman can get some support from the midfield without just lumping it forward.

Last edited:

Didn't they beat Cheltenham 2-1, not Oldham?

Taylor, Hutchinson and Goodship must be dropped, regardless of who is available. Tempted to even leave Elvis out.

I actually thought Clifford looked good when he came on, so I would start him.

It hasn't been mentioned as far as I can see, but given that Carlisle had 1000 fans in attendance which must have given them some boost, perhaps the EFL will allow us to have support for this match - although given the likelihood of a toxic reception maybe thats not such a good idea?

Anyway an additional weeks training with Macca and maybe Akinola playing some part surely MM and his team need to find a way we can exploit Morecambe's frailties better than they can exploit ours? We need to find the formula that worked in the pre-season friendlies against Gillingham and Charlton and not the last 3 or 4 games.

It hasn't been mentioned as far as I can see, but given that Carlisle had 1000 fans in attendance which must have given them some boost, perhaps the EFL will allow us to have support for this match - although given the likelihood of a toxic reception maybe thats not such a good idea?

Anyway an additional weeks training with Macca and maybe Akinola playing some part surely MM and his team need to find a way we can exploit Morecambe's frailties better than they can exploit ours? We need to find the formula that worked in the pre-season friendlies against Gillingham and Charlton and not the last 3 or 4 games.
Of course we assuming that Akinola is left out because of fitness and not because of player registration (lack of). I truly hope it's the former. Does anyone on here know for sure??

I was thinking the same.
A crowd ( even small ) should be an advantage but I think for our young lads right now it’s probably a god send that Roots Hall is empty.

Just let wives , parents, family , friends , acquaintances, press, stewards, cleaners, dog lovers, any form of lover , in might be a good starting point , oh and Rigsby?

I can’t pick a line up just yet without seeing if there are any new signings or players back from injury. What I do know is we cannot go with the same defence if possible. Ralph and Green seem to be good together. Wonder if Elvis and Kinali could build a similar relationship. I think we need to see either Lennon/White or a new signing come in to partner Hobson.

I’d stick with Hutch and Macca think given time it will come good. I’d like to see Akinola play with Goodship. Kelman’s head seems elsewhere as does Elvis and if Demi is available I’d play him instead. That’s if they’re here come Saturday.

It’s a hard time at the moment, I’d love to see a win but even a draw at the moment would be a good result as it’s a point on the bored and a positive.

Hutch must be taken out of the CM position for his sake as well as the teams.
I'd try someone other the egbri.
Elvis also needs to dropped... although I've been saying this for a looooong time.
Hopeful for
Demi. White. Hobson clifford
Hutch dieng macca green
........... Kelman. Goodship

Hope Akinola gets 25 at the end off the bench

Again went hoping everyone is fit , OXLEY DEMI WHITE , LENNON, CLIFFORD
MACCA, DIENG
GREEN RALPH
AKINOLA KELMAN
Later in week when i kow who is available and who is not ,will put my final selection.Thats 4-2-2-2 by the way.

Back