• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Southend United vs Oldham Athletic 27th October 2020 19:00hrs ko FL2

What would be your starting 11 for Tuesday and what do you think the result will be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Mark Milligan hated playing alongside him in midfield, because he didn’t fancy a tackle, couldn’t head the ball & was continuously caught out of position.

In a two-man central midfield role, I believe he is more of a hindrance than a help.

Mark does not sound good - slagging off his team mates to fans/management consultants

From what i know of Mark Milligan, he was a decent approachable bloke, helpful to others around him and pretty much a model professional in the bigger picture of things... (IE how the SUFC players were treated)...
Didnt shirk international duty, rushing from matches to get to Oz for a short while to play, then the long journey back and turn out for southend.
Did the dirty work for us in the middle without looking flash or being all billy big bxllxx.
Not one of those fleunt passers or flamboyant players like Kyle Taylor of course, but did what he did well. Never got the credit for the role he played because its not a role that stands out.

Prediction: 2-0 Oldham followed by a small repayment to HMRC on Wednesday, meaning we survive and have a 3-0 defeat to Port Vale on Saturday to look forward to.

Sadly of all the predictions I have read on here, this is the most realistic.

Not sure when this nightmare is going to end.

Cool story
What's the alternative to this?

For a year you've dropped names on here with all the grace of Chevy Chase falling repeatedly on Saturday Night Live and you seem to take everything at face value.

Any professional in any prominent field who talks openly and negatively about their colleagues to those outside the bubble is incredibly UNprofessional. What benefit do players have telling you their thoughts and woes on the team? How many of these great contacts you have slag themselves off, or criticise their own games?

Either you're being told about this firsthand from a veteran footballer who has just moved to the county, you've been told about his story from a jobber footballer who has won two games of football in two years, or you've heard about all this from someone else.

Then you saunter onto a messageboard turning up your leather jacket and crisp tracksuit and dropping truthbombs like they're as important as the late, great Dr David Kelly.

The cool story is you soaking up gossip and relaying it here, for what, nothing of great importance, a dog**** soccer team with zero good players.

From what i know of Mark Milligan, he was a decent approachable bloke, helpful to others around him and pretty much a model professional in the bigger picture of things... (IE how the SUFC players were treated)...
Didnt shirk international duty, rushing from matches to get to Oz for a short while to play, then the long journey back and turn out for southend.
Did the dirty work for us in the middle without looking flash or being all billy big bxllxx.
Not one of those fleunt passers or flamboyant players like Kyle Taylor of course, but did what he did well. Never got the credit for the role he played because its not a role that stands out.
Would have been nice for him to have a good game once in a while when he was here.

Would have been nice for him to have a good game once in a while when he was here.
Cant disagree... he didnt set the world on fire, but did have some qualities and was a work horse and could have been of use now maybe. Had a decent throw too!

What's the alternative to this?

For a year you've dropped names on here with all the grace of Chevy Chase falling repeatedly on Saturday Night Live and you seem to take everything at face value.

Any professional in any prominent field who talks openly and negatively about their colleagues to those outside the bubble is incredibly UNprofessional. What benefit do players have telling you their thoughts and woes on the team? How many of these great contacts you have slag themselves off, or criticise their own games?

Either you're being told about this firsthand from a veteran footballer who has just moved to the county, you've been told about his story from a jobber footballer who has won two games of football in two years, or you've heard about all this from someone else.

Then you saunter onto a messageboard turning up your leather jacket and crisp tracksuit and dropping truthbombs like they're as important as the late, great Dr David Kelly.

The cool story is you soaking up gossip and relaying it here, for what, nothing of great importance, a dog**** soccer team with zero good players.

Your talents are wasted here. With that kind of witty banter, you should be aiming for the position of Sporadic Panellist on late night topical news programmes, sharing the spotlight with comedic giants such as Sandy Torsvik & Russell Howard.

But you know what, maybe you’re right. Maybe I shouldn’t bother wasting my time relaying snippets of info that come from within the club. I get no reward or plaudits from it, and it’s certainly no great thrill to be ITK considering the clubs current trials and tribulations.

I certainly wouldn’t have to take criticism from a poundshop Mark Kermode anyway.

It’s probably my own fault really. In my own pure-as-snow mind, I assumed that, A) fans of Southend United Football Club may be interested in the behind-the-scenes gossip & B) That I wouldn’t have to prove myself with every factoid that was relayed due to the fact that my record on these topics speaks for itself.

And now, just like The Hutton Inquiry, I’m going to go about my business as if nothing happened. Ta-ta.

Didn’t Shaughnessy also have a good throw? Can’t help thinking we got rid of the wrong players.
I can definitely confirm Elvis hasnt got a long throw .....
Yep he did i think.....and the lad we released that went back to non league after coming back from injury - cant remember his blxxdy name!! blond lad winger...

Mark Milligan hated playing alongside him in midfield, because he didn’t fancy a tackle, couldn’t head the ball & was continuously caught out of position.

In a two-man central midfield role, I believe he is more of a hindrance than a help.

Surprised by that, scored a couple for us with his head hasn’t he? Maybe he didn’t come up to Milligan’s international standards?

Thats not what i heard

Think I’d rather Lennon and Hobson with Dieng in front, I’m not convinced with Dieng at the back but think I’m on my own with that!
I suggested this for Saturday's game vs Tranmere. We need some security in front of any centre back pairing and Dieng is the only member of the squad who I have confidence in performing this role. Lennon and Hobson should be fine and many people were calling for this pairing when Hobson joined. I'd have K Taylor and Olayinka ahead of hi, giving JD a rest.

Thats not what i heard
Well my source is from players playing with him and from meeting him myself. Feel free to say yours and say what you know ...
I appreciate everyone's opinions so of course I respect any direct opinions formed. I don't really do third hand gossip tho shrimpet steve.
We would just have to agree to differ if your informed opinion of him is different

Last edited:
We are going WIN ... 2 - 0

Play off push starting .. our young stars climb the league and sneak into the autos

League one champs in 21/22

CC Champions in 22/23

Prem - 4th place - 23/24

European Champions 24/25 -

Roots Hall re-development completed with the famous car park East stand alone holding 14,000

The North Bank - (aka as the Shrimpers Wall) - 11,000

South Upper 10 K - incl boxes

West - 15k
Not sure what you smoking mate ,but must be giving you one hell off a HIGH .!

Well my source is from players playing with him and from meeting him myself. Feel free to say yours and say what you know ...
I appreciate everyone's opinions so of course I respect any direct opinions formed. I don't really do third hand gossip tho shrimpet steve.
We would just have to agree to differ if your informed opinion of him is different

A fiver says that the source of Shrimpet Steve's info on this was either Simon Cox or somebody close to him.

Back