• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Official Match Thread Southend United vs Peterborough United

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Big Dady

¡Viva la Kevolución! ⭐️ ⭐️
Staff member
The Official Match Thread brought to you by ShrimperZone.com

So here we are the second League One home game of the 2019/20 season and Kevin Bond’s fifth home game in charge as manager of the Mighty Shrimpers.

Our second match at home is against Peterborough United

SkyBet League One.jpg
SUFC.jpgVS.pngimage.png

It is now time for ALL of us to get behind him and the team whether you are at Roots Hall, listening on the radio, listening or watching on ifollow, make that famous "Roots Hall Roar. (Note this game is also available to watch on ifollow in the UK as well as abroad this evening)

Kevin Bond’s 2nd Southend United League One Home Team of the 2019/20 season

ECbjrc4XkAEyUzD.jpg

The Roots Hall pitch looks fantastic and is ready for action at 7.45 pm Tuesday 20th August 2019 against Peterborough United.

ECba7G7XUAAdvJD.jpg

ECbKbiYX4AIzAA5.jpg

It looks like we are going to have a nice sunny pleasantly warm evening for the game (If you are in the East Stand make sure you have your sun glasses and peaked cap), you should be OK to wear your new home kit with pride.

The weather forecast for today at Roots Hall

SUFC v Peterborough Weather.jpg

Kevin Bond’s current League home record after 4 home games

Won 2
Drawn 0
Lost 2
Goals scored 6
Goals conceded 8

League Positions last Season

7th (2018/19 Season) League One Peterborough United
19th (2018/19 Season) League One Southend United

League Positions Current Season

20th (2019/20 Season) League One Peterborough United
22nd (2019/20 Season) League One Southend United

Recent League Position Change
SUFC v Peterborough Posititions.jpg

Previous Five Meetings

Peterborough United 2-0 Southend United (L1 23/03/19 Att. 7,585)
Southend United 2-3 Peterborough United (L1 08/09/18 Att. 6,551)
Peterborough United 0-1 Southend United (L1 03/02/18 Att. 5,114)
Peterborough United 2-0 Southend United (LT2 06/12/17 Att. 1,707)
Southend United 1-1 Peterborough United (L1 17/10/17 Att. 5,789)

Head to Head record

Southend United Wins: 23
Draws: 10
Peterborough United Wins: 25

A New Era

hqdefault - Copy.jpg

Kevin Bond has a licence to Win!

Managers Pre-match Views

Peterborough United

Darren Ferguson talks to Peterborough Today before travelling to Roots Hall

Darren Fergison.jpg
Darren Ferguson

Boss Ferguson confident Peterborough United can claim first win as they head to struggling Southend

Boss Darren Ferguson believes Peterborough United can claim their first win of the Sky Bet League One season at Southend United on Tuesday night - providing they match the performance levels from Saturday's 2-2 draw with Ipswich Town.

Aside from the sloppy defending that allowed Ipswich to score early and very late in the game, Ferguson was delighted with his team's showing at The Weston Homes Stadium.

The result saw Posh claim their first point of the season, and now they go in search of that first win against a Southend side that have lost their opening three games, and were hammered 4-0 at Lincoln City at the weekend.

Kevin Bond's team have also lost to Blackpool and Coventry City so far, but Ferguson isn't reading too much into their form, insisting it is all about what Posh produce.

"I feel it is always going to be about the level of performance we get to," said the Peterborough manager.

"I feel if we get similar to what we produced on Saturday, obviously cutting out the errors, on a consistent basis then I do feel we will start winning games.

"The main focus will be on our performance, the energy levels we put into it.

"Southend have not started the season great, but neither have we.

"It is always a tough place to go, and it will be a tough match, but we have to make sure we get our bit right first."

Ferguson was hugely encouraged by the improved performance of his players at the weekened, as well as the team's reaction to falling behind to James Norwood's goal after only four minutes.

"Going into the three previous games it was about we have to do this better, we have to get this right, but now it is a bit easier in that it is a case of 'there's your standard, let's try and get to that'," he said.

"I still feel the quality can be improved. The possession stat needs to go up, and I feel we can have more control with the ball, but certainly what I was pleased with was the desire and character.

"But after four minutes on Saturday, we have lost three, we are 1-0 down and I am standing there thinking, 'okay, we are going to find out about this lot now', and they passed that with flying colours.

That was the most pleasing thing."

The disappointment was the manner of conceding the goals, particularly Luke Chambers' late leveller, but Ferguson believes that is an issue that can easily be rectiified.

"We went through it with the players on Monday morning, and we know the problem in terms of why we didn't win the game," said the Posh boss.

"We need to solve that, and we need to solve that quickly starting with tonight, but half the battle sometimes is knowing the problem, and we do know ours.

"The performance level was very good on Saturday, and very, very good in the second half.

"We had the best chances in the game and I was generally pleased, because we are getting there.

"It has been a slow start in terms of results, but the performances have got better as each game has gone by and the shape of the team looked better."

Link to full story
Peterborough Today Preview

Southend

Kevin Bond talks to the Southend United OS ahead of the game with Peterborough United

Kevin Bond.jpg
Kevin Bond
Blues boss Kevin Bond spoke to the press on Monday ahead of Southend United’s next game at home to Peterborough United.

After seeing his side fall to a disappointing defeat away to Lincoln on Saturday, Bond will be hoping for a better all-round display and a much-needed three points against Darren Ferguson’s side.

Here’s what he had to say in the build-up to our second home league game of the campaign.

On having to pick the players up after Saturday…

We all are hugely disappointed. We came in yesterday morning and picked the bones out of the defeat. We had a long conversation, watched excerpts from the game, talked about what we need to do differently and then moved on. We’ve got a massive match tomorrow night and we have to learn from it and move on.

On working on getting a clean sheet...

We speak about it all the time, but even speaking about it sort of adds to the pressure but it’s got to the stage where we have to deal with that.

We can’t just pretend it’s not there in the hope it won’t put the players under more pressure. It’s got to the stage where it’s such a long time where we haven’t kept a clean sheet.

The problem is unfortunately the feeling, when a goal goes in, is that the whole plan is up the shoot, which it’s not. But that’s sort of the feeling because it’s like ‘here we go again’ and it’s almost the case of the inevitable which is absolutely not the case.

It wasn’t the case against Stevenage last week where we came from behind to win. You can concede goals and still win and at the end of the day the ultimate aim is to win football matches.

In order to give us the best chance of the that we need to keep clean sheets or certainly more than we’ve been able to.

On getting new players to blend…

Whether people want to accept that or think it’s an excuse, the fact is we’ve introduced a number of new players and we’re still finding out about each other and what works best.

We are very much a team that is a work in progress. The season is only three games old, four including the cup game, and we’re learning about people.

Ethan only came in two or three days ago and we’ve introduced a number of new players. It isn’t easy and we are finding out what works best and what, going forward, might be the best way.

Because we’ve been troubled for quite a while now and reminders, if you’re not careful, of last season filter back again on the back of a couple of defeats.

It takes a lot to change that mentality and I also think it takes time but I do also understand the essence of football.

Link to full story
Southend United OS Preview

Tonight’s Programme

Tonights Programme.jpg
Tonight’s programme, on sale for £3 from the Roots Review branded trolleys around the ground, has an interview with striker Simon Cox.

Pick up your copy to read an interview with the former Republic of Ireland international who, in our last outing at Roots Hall against Blackpool, made his 150th appearance in a Southend shirt.

As well as discussing his three years at Blues so far, Cox talks about his targets for the 2019/20 season after reaching one landmark already.

Kevin Bond and Mark Milligan both pen their programme notes to supporters following last weekend’s game against Lincoln City, there’s updates from the U18 side, SUEPA and the Shrimpers Trust as well as an in-depth look into our opponents.

Make sure you don’t miss out!

We've just made the 600 mile round trip for our first game of the season. Having a drink in the Spread.

Come on blues!

5 at the back. God help us
5 at the back isn't negative so long as the wing backs push forward at every opportunity (5-3-2 was the go-to tactic of Charlton last year and they got promoted), I'm probably being far too much of a glass half full kind of person but with Hamilton in the middle I'm hoping our full backs are allowed to attack at every opportunity in which case it's arguably more positive than 4-4-2.

Another change of formation.. I read it as 5 at the back, which you just hate to see at home. Someone mentioned it could be 4-5-1 with Elvis on the wing.. fine but why not start Layton on the wing who has actually looked half decent in his brief cameos instead of a fullback out of position?

At this point I’m inclined to believe Bond is on a wind up or something.

We've just made the 600 mile round trip for our first game of the season. Having a drink in the Spread.

Come on blues!

You love to see this.

That Peterborough team is strong! I could see another drubbing here.

Toney always scores against us.

I don't see how that can work, White is too slow to be a full back anymore and no one else plays RB except Elvis. This looks like 532 to me or 5311.

I said all week......he is playing for his clean sheet and a back four suits us better and so defensive players in front of them makes us hard to break down.....451 all day long

Hutchinson dropped and not even on the bench. Disappointing.

Got three CFs on the bench!!!! Theo didn’t even travel Saturday and had been pants so why even have him sitting there?

I suspect it will be 352
The doomsayers will assume its 5 at the back but it shouldn’t be as both wing backs are and should be attack minded. It will also allow a midfield 3 where the new guy will have license to get forward and he is a goal scoring midfielder. We also have 2 up front.

The proof will be in the pudding but let’s not assume the worst and assume it’s negative

The problem with the beloved 442 this century is that other teams invariably have a formation that gives them 3 in midfield- we then get over run and struggle to retain the ball

I prefer 352 to 433 because I think it better fits who we have available

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back