• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Official Match Thread Southend United vs Peterborough United

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Big Dady

¡Viva la Kevolución! ⭐️ ⭐️
Staff member
The Official Match Thread brought to you by ShrimperZone.com

So here we are the forth League One home game of the 2018/19 season and Chris Powell’s first full season since his return and time in charge at the Mighty Shrimpers.

Our forth match at home is against Peterborough United.

SkyBet League One.jpg
SUFC.jpgVS.pngPeterborough.png

It is now time for ALL of us to get behind him and the team whether you are at Roots Hall, listening on the radio, or watching on ifollow, and make that famous "Roots Hall Roar".

Chris Powell's 4th Southend United League One Home Team of the 2018/19 season

Dmksm-MXoAAIO1E.jpg

The Roots Hall pitch looks fantastic and is ready for action at 3.00pm Saturday 8th September against Peterborough United on this pleasant warm autumn afternoon.

Dmkj_q8X0AA1DSQ.jpg

The weather forecast for today at Roots Hall

Peterborough Weather.png

Chris Powell’s current League home record

Won 7
Drawn 1
Lost 3
Goals scored 24
Goals conceded 12

League Positions Last Season

9th (2017/18 Season) Peterborough United
10th (2017/18 Season) Southend United

League Positions Current Season

1st (2018/19 Season) Peterborough United
13th (2018/19 Season) Southend United

Recent League Position Change

SUFC v Peterborough.png

Previous Five Meetings

Peterborough United 0-1 Southend United (L1 3/02/18 Att. 5,114)
Peterborough United 2-0 Southend United (LT2 6/12/17 Att.1,707)
Southend United 1-1 Peterborough United (L1 17/10/17 Att. 5,789)
Peterborough United 1-4 Southend United (L1 21/02/17 Att. 4,597)

Southend United 1-1 Peterborough United (L1 1/10/16 Att. 6,417)

Head to Head record

Southend United Wins: 23
Draws: 10
Peterborough United Wins: 23

Wiggle it, Just a Little Bit!

Managers Pre-match Views

Peterborough United

Steve Evans Peterborough’s Manager talks to Alan Swann of the Peterborough Telegraph

Peterborough United manager Steve Evans has challenged his players to set off on another winning streak.

Posh saw a club record start to the season of five wins in a row come to an end last weekend when Doncaster took a point away from the ABAX Stadium following a 1-1 draw.

They now travel to a Southend side crippled by injuries, suspensions and international call-ups on Saturday (September 8).

The Shrimpers had 12 players unavailable for Tuesday’s Checkatrade Trophy win over Cambridge United.

But Evans is taking no notice of Southend’s lengthy absentee list. He’s expecting the usual tough encounter at Roots Hall. “Winning five games in a row is extremely difficult,” Evans said. “It won’t happen very often, but if you win three games in a row often enough you will go close to promotion. “We will go to Southend full of confidence because we are top of the league.

I can’t get too interested in any problems they have. I know they will field a side with many top players and they will be well organised by an outstanding manager. “It’s always hard to win at Southend and Posh have a poor record there so we are under no illusions about the task we have.

But we have the greatest incentive of all to get a win. If we pick up three points we will still be top of the table on Saturday night and that’s the best place to be. “We’ve enjoyed being at the top and we want to stay there for as long as we can so we need to bounce back from our worst performance of the season last weekend.”

Posh will be without midfielder Callum Cooke. He twisted his ankle in the early stages of Tuesday’s game at MK Dons and faces three weeks on the sidelines.

Southend United

Chis Powell talks about the team to face Peterborough United on the OS

Southend United boss Chris Powell will be hoping to celebrate his 49th birthday on Saturday with three points over Peterborough United.

The Sky Bet League One table-toppers are in town for Blues’ third straight home game.

And Powell says three points against Steve Evans’ side will be the perfect way to mark his birthday.

“I’m too old for all the celebrations – everyone keeps saying to me next year is the big one, but it’s life,” Powell said.

“It will be the start of my 50th year and what better way to start it off than getting a win on Saturday.”

Posh had won five straight games prior to former boss Grant McCann and his Doncaster Rovers side took a point off them last weekend.

Evans has had the luxury of fielding six unchanged sides so far – something Powell has been ill-afforded.

But Blues could have a couple of players returning to the fold.

“We’ve had a number of injured players that are making their way back but whether they will be ready for Saturday we will have to wait and see,” Powell added.

“Sometimes in adversity you look at some players who will just play with a bit of freedom. People like Taylor Moore, Michael Klass and Renei Batlokwa, they played with a bit of freedom on Tuesday.

“I’ll have the head count as always on Friday and make sure that we’re strong enough to play against what is a good side at this present time.

“They’re sitting right where they want to be and we’re going to have to deal with that.”

Despite facing one of the country’s in-form sides, Powell believes Blues should embrace the challenge, especially at Roots Hall.

“We always look at ways to try and win a game. We’ll have to look at some strengths that they have, which they undoubtedly do have.

“It’s about is trying to create chances, score those chances and win a football match.

“We want to get a result, but we’ve been very up and down. We’ve had good performances and haven’t got a result and then we’ve had a real resilient on the road. We’ve had a comfortable home win against Bradford, but you just want to get going.

“We’re better than what we have accumulated points wise, that’s for sure. We’ll take the next game on its merits. The target is three points and that’s what we want to achieve.”

Blues will of course be without Mark Oxley and Michael Kightly, and Powell has the utmost confidence in young stopper Nathan Bishop should he be in goal on Saturday.

“It’s an area that we’re well aware of but let me tell you one thing. If Nathan Bishop is in goal for us on Saturday would I be confident? 100 per cent.

“There’s a young goalkeeper who is a real talent. He acquitted himself really well on Saturday and like any goalkeeper, he was disappointed he conceded a goal but I thought it handling and saving at key times was very good.

“His kicking improved over the game, so I have no qualms in playing him on Saturday.”

Breaking News

Chris Powell is delighted to have brought in on loan his former teammate David Stockdale who he was with at Leicester., “It’s just fantastic for us to have a goalkeeper of David’s calibre with us for a short period. He’s had a good career, been in England squads, won promotion with Brighton, so it took me all of Wednesday and Thursday really to try and get it over the line, but we’re really pleased”.

David Stockdale said ”I’ve not come here to take anyone’s spot or anything, I’ve just come here to help out the club because you’ve got such a wonderful manager and team”.

David is expected to go straight into the line up for today's game.

Wiggle it, Just a Little Bit!

I am well pleased with Stockdale in goal, but very disappointed to see McCoulsky on the bench again. He's one of those strikers you have confidence in scoring, and is our fastest striker. Hopper is only going to score in the penalty area, and cox plays too deep nowadays. Moore could be better at the back as well, as he has a bit of pace about him that White and Turner are missing. At least 2 of our 3 excellent midfielders are playing.

Still no sign of Yearwood on the bench, this injury is really starting to drag on now.

I am well pleased with Stockdale in goal, but very disappointed to see McCoulsky on the bench again. He's one of those strikers you have confidence in scoring, and is our fastest striker. Hopper is only going to score in the penalty area, and cox plays too deep nowadays. Moore could be better at the back as well, as he has a bit of pace about him that White and Turner are missing. At least 2 of our 3 excellent midfielders are playing.
Totally agree with this, really hope McGoalsky get a decent crack today, and we see him and not Theo off the bench...

DAVID Stockdale has gone straight into Southend United’s starting line-up for this afternoon’s clash with Peterborough United.

More...

Shocking, we are the better side and dominating and we are losing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back