• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Jam_Man

Life President
Post and ra(n)tings here...

Started off pretty tight but Shrewsbury got stronger as it went on and I dont remember us having a shot first half. Started to run out of ideas and hopeful balls were all we could manage which they picked off with ease.

Second half had a good first few minutes then pretty poor.

Shrewsbury's 5 man midfield bossed ours and we rarely looked like getting into a position to score.

Changed to 3-5-2/3-4-1-2 to try to deal with them but with time ticking on that went out the window with Barrett pushing forward as well.

Post and ra(n)tings here...

Started off pretty tight but Shrewsbury got stronger as it went on and I dont remember us having a shot first half. Started to run out of ideas and hopeful balls were all we could manage which they picked off with ease.

Second half had a good first few minutes then pretty poor.

Shrewsbury's 5 man midfield bossed ours and we rarely looked like getting into a position to score.

Changed to 3-5-2/3-4-1-2 to try to deal with them but with time ticking on that went out the window with Barrett pushing forward as well.

Changed too bloody late!!! :angry:

Like I mentioned in the pre-match thread we've had success previously against this side by packing the middle, so while for most cases I would have gone unchanged, the narrow diamond would have been what I wanted to see today and maybe would have helped us gain a bit more control.

Does anyone here sit in the West next to the Family bit and have to put up with the continual moner in around row R? Constant moaning. Irritating and ruining the experience some what.

A day when 4 4 2 was not the answer..? Imagine that!!!
There 3 in CM swamped our two...coupled with the fact lenny and WordsWorth were not at it today. In fact no one played particularly well. AB was pretty solid. Rea gave away a needless freekick that led to the goal....then no one marked the player.....A free header of the highest order. No decent first touches, no swift incisive passing which was there last week. A shift to a 4 4 1 1 should have happened at half time coupled with instructions to overload their wing backs by getting our full backs to bomb on.
Any way chin up peeps, looking forward to Millwall next week.

Does anyone here sit in the West next to the Family bit and have to put up with the continual moner in around row R? Constant moaning. Irritating and ruining the experience some what.

The 11 players in a Southend shirt did that for me today

Very tight, controlled and professional performance today. Unfortunately, that was Shrewsbury dishing up the sort of performance we inflicted on lots of teams last season. Tough day at the office but we were frustratingly short of ideas.

Can't blame Brown today. Same team as last week but the performance was very poor. Every player was poor bar Bentley

A day when 4 4 2 was not the answer..? Imagine that!!!
There 3 in CM swamped our two...coupled with the fact lenny and WordsWorth were not at it today. In fact no one played particularly well. AB was pretty solid. Rea gave away a needless freekick that led to the goal....then no one marked the player.....A free header of the highest order. No decent first touches, no swift incisive passing which was there last week. A shift to a 4 4 1 1 should have happened at half time coupled with instructions to overload their wing backs by getting our full backs to bomb on.
Any way chin up peeps, looking forward to Millwall next week.

442 would have been more of an answer had Timlin not be playing on the left. It's so unbalanced - he drifts into the centre, leaves Coker exposed and the right flank becomes congested. If you're gonna play 442 at home then play with 2 wingers and keep it balanced

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

442 would have been more of an answer had Timlin not be playing on the left. It's so unbalanced - he drifts into the centre, leaves Coker exposed and the right flank becomes congested. If you're gonna play 442 at home then play with 2 wingers and keep it balanced

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is true when he plays there but he had to even more so today because we were playing against 5 midfielders. A winger playing wide would have meant we would have been totally overrun.

Terrible lack lustre performance today, very frustrating to watch especilly john white who continues to try and hit 70 yard passes none of which even managed to stay on the pitch. Summed up at the end with the corner that was took and went out of play. Lots of side to side passes no penetration . Not sure what all the chances were we missed today as i certainly didnt see them. Overall very disapointing and its clear its going to be a long hard season

Terrible lack lustre performance today, very frustrating to watch especilly john white who continues to try and hit 70 yard passes none of which even managed to stay on the pitch. Summed up at the end with the corner that was took and went out of play. Lots of side to side passes no penetration . Not sure what all the chances were we missed today as i certainly didnt see them. Overall very disapointing and its clear its going to be a long hard season

Again this was because they packed the midfield so we resorted to having to hit those long hopeful balls.

Also why we were playing it around at the back, because the defence couldnt find anyone to pass it to.

Before someone jumps in and says that was a 'tactic' I was sitting behind Brown today and he was going ballistic because the defence werent getting the ball forward.

Again this was because they packed the midfield so we resorted to having to hit those long hopeful balls.

Also why we were playing it around at the back, because the defence couldnt find anyone to pass it to.

Before someone jumps in and says that was a 'tactic' I was sitting behind Brown today and he was going ballistic because the defence werent getting the ball forward.

No, how about we resort to changing our tactics and changing how we play? More movement, create more space maybe. Lenny is well out of form but still plays, Timlin played out of position....the list goes on

No, how about we resort to changing our tactics and changing how we play? More movement, create more space maybe. Lenny is well out of form but still plays, Timlin played out of position....the list goes on

As I said on the other thread He did change it. Maybe he could have done it at half time, but the uproar if he hadnt started with 442 on here would have been unbearable.

I dont see anything wrong with the team we selected, it did well last week and would have been the same team Id have chosen.

Its easy saying create more space, but with them packing the midfield thats not so easy to do.

Leonard was quality last week so why drop him?

What a load of ****

Bentley 6- Did OK, good save at the end.
White 4- A decent defender but absolutely awful going forward, summed up by 2 completely aimless hoofs that went out for throw ins near the end.
Barrett, Rea and Coker 5- Average, Barrett perhaps slightly better than the other 2.

Worrall 6- Hasn't really reached the same heights as last season, still the best midfielder today though.
Leonard 4- Poor.
Wordsworth 5- Unlucky not to score. Maybe Brown should tell him he can pass forwards instead of backwards and sideways all the time (although to be fair nobody else wanted to pass forwards other than aimless hoofs.)
Timlin 5- Not a winger. Did nothing while he was on.

Mooney 5- Poor. Didn't get great service though.
Hunt 6- Did ok before picking up a knock, struggled after that.

Subs: McLaughlin 4- Awful, couldn't even take a corner properly and offered nothing before that.
Pigott 4- Belongs in League 2, absolutely amazed that he thinks he's good enough for the Championship. If it wasn't for the Wembley goal we wouldn't even have signed him, not good enough.
Payne 5- All he did was run with the ball until he lost it, at least he was having a go though.

Brown 3- Poor subs, poor tactics. Phil Brown football is really boring to watch. Singling out coker for being poor when he was nowhere near the worst one out there is ******* ridiculous.

Last edited:
McClaughlin was presumably bought on to bring more width but was playing about 10 yards in front of White so when he did the get the ball there was no-one in front of him.

Back