• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

AndyT

Lord of the Reedy River
'Alright lads.

Big game coming up Friday night.

Just back from the High Street.

Popped in Owen Wallis but they still haven't got the new Battling Tops in.:thumbdown:

Also got some new clobber from Mr Byrite for the game.

Should be a good one.

Anyone else going?

How are you supposed to wear these silk scarves? They don't look a bit girly do they. I've gone to the trouble of getting a royal blue satin jacket and red bell-bottoms and wouldn't want to spoil the look. Some bird just said I look like a chubby Donny Osmond; was she being serious do you think?

Donny Osmond! .. Maybe David Cassidy would have sounded better.

Mind you, at least she didn't say you look like that bloke out of Sparks. He's a weirdo!

Are you wearing your platforms or DM's?

I'm going for the DM's and silk scarf round the wrist.

Should be in the North Bank about 7:00 O'clock. Try and get a crush barrier behind the goal.

High waisters from Rosehills and jeans from Leo's. Those were the days along with power cuts, rubbish piled high in the streets and a three month wait to be buried. Aye, but we were lucky.

I love Rosehills.

Great shop. Like Victoria Shoes.:cool:

Rob's right about those power cuts.

Nightmare the other night.

Power went off right in the middle of It Ain't Half Hot Mum!:stunned:

Platforms like Elton John. I bet he gets lots of action with the girls.

In all seriousness, there's footage of me in Anglia TV's vaults from around 73 or 74 running onto the pitch at Cambridge with jeans half way up my shins, high leg "pretend" Dr Martens, a Rangers shirt that was kind-of-like our home shirt, and a blue and white scarf hanging from my waist and a silk scarf around my wrist.

On a topical note, you never even got thrown out of the ground the first time you ran on the pitch in those days; usually just pushed back into the crowd. Roman candles were also commonplace at grounds in October and November (mind you, so we're darts, sharpened pennies, and getting thumped at Northern spitholes like Halifax and Bradford).

Aye, tell the young'uns about that today and they'll not believe you....

In all seriousness, there's footage of me in Anglia TV's vaults from around 73 or 74 running onto the pitch at Cambridge with jeans half way up my shins, high leg "pretend" Dr Martens, a Rangers shirt that was kind-of-like our home shirt, and a blue and white scarf hanging from my waist and a silk scarf around my wrist.

Never mind Sky Match Highlights, THIS is the sort of footage I'd like to see! :cool:

Was a toss up between the Alpha two and Scamps last night. We ended up doing the Alpha as it was grab a granny night with a shed full of hen parties. Golden Lion tomorrow night then the West Stand cos we're grown ups. Couple of beers then a gentle stroll round to Shakespeare drive around 7.35.

Golden Lion sounds a good shout, but got the hump with the barman the other night as they've stuck Newcastle Brown up to 50p a pint!

Was a toss up between the Alpha two and Scamps last night. We ended up doing the Alpha as it was grab a granny night with a shed full of hen parties. Golden Lion tomorrow night then the West Stand cos we're grown ups. Couple of beers then a gentle stroll round to Shakespeare drive around 7.35.

Double Diamond I presume, then a Party Four or a Party Seven if you are over 18 as a carry out.

I'm going. But as there'll be hardly any away support, no need to stay in the North Bank, so will be at the end we are kicking against for both halves. Love the South Bank anyway. I was going to wear my Doc Martens but have decided to wear my Royals with my metal blakeys under the soles, as they sound ard when I walk, Lol. I think I'll wear my cream high wasters, a Ben Sherman or Brutus shirt, and my denim jacket. Maybe my silk scarf hanging down from my wrist, not decided. After the game I might go in the Sutton Arms where all the Southend faces go, or The Tavern In The Town, or might just jump on the bus back to Leigh and have a quick Lager and Lime in The Elms. Got to be a bit sneaky in there tho as they don't like under age drinking.

Might see you in the Tavern after the game 'Seventies' then we are going on to the Talk of the South or might be Scamps, as 'Rootshallbloke' said it might be good there Friday night.

Funnily enough, after I started the thread I thought, I'd better check and we did in 73-74, though the match was in 1973.
Ah that is different , I drive to Roots Hall in my red Mini that had cost me 80 pounds wearing denim shirt Levi jeans and a pair of stack heel shoes , would stand in the North Bank and watch the game from there as you could not go up the South Bank now because of barrier behind the West Stand that had been put up the season before for the Chelsea game . After the game it was back to Leigh to the Carlton where the Old Leigh Comm were now drinking complain about the Calsberg lager going up from 23 pence to 25 pence listen to David Bowie Nazareth , Wizzard , Blue Mink and anyone else in the charts on the juke box , pubs used to shut at 11 o clock on a Friday then so it would be up the Elms and then a couple of cars from Leigh going up to The Tottenham Royal or Soho , then after a few hours in the city it would be home to bed .

If you arrived in the west stand at 7.35, wouldn't you have missed the first 5 minutes. i'm sure we used to kick off at 7.30 for evening games in those days.

I'm sure i was there for that match. If i recall Mike Summerbee was playing for them (player/manager?). they were 1 - 0 up, last few minutes and they had a free kick on the edge of the big old south bank penalty area. Summerbee takes it and passes it all the way back to their goalkeeper in front of the north bank. boos all round a rather empty RH and southport go home with 2 points!

Back