• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Did anyone else actually enjoy watching a good game of football for once? I thought we played really well against a team that will be at the top end of the table. I'm disappointed at losing but I'm disappointed because we deserved to win, that's a good sign. Against Walsall I walked away feeling sick!
It's early in the year, the transfer window isn't even shut yet, the team can look a whole lot different in a weeks time, too early to judge.

Did anyone else actually enjoy watching a good game of football for once? I thought we played really well against a team that will be at the top end of the table. I'm disappointed at losing but I'm disappointed because we deserved to win, that's a good sign. Against Walsall I walked away feeling sick!
It's early in the year, the transfer window isn't even shut yet, the team can look a whole lot different in a weeks time, too early to judge.

excellent post

If we had not been creating I would be more worried, or if they had had numerous chances and Bentley I would be more worried. Half on here seem to think Prosser is crap, so playing a team of Swindon's quality with Prosser playing , and playing out of position surely they should have had chance after chance after chance---- and they didn't.

Of course its a concern that we are not scoring, and our lack of goals from corners and freekicks is pathetic. But there were positives yesterday. Lastly if was (perversely) great to see how much it hurt the players at the final whistle. At least no one can say they don't care or did not put a shift in. I am concerned at the lack of goals, but am not remotely at panic stations

Away to Doncaster, man of the match award, their goalkeeper, fact.
Home to Swindon, man of the match award, their goalkeeper, fact.
Seems that Southend are doing some good things, fact.:unsure:

Edited for accuracy, fact, whoops

Last edited:
Away to Doncaster, man of the match award, their goalkeeper, fact.
Home to Coventry, man of the match award, their goalkeeper, fact.
Seems that Southend are doing some good things, fact.:unsure:
Seeing as you have a crystal ball, where are we in the league by 23rd January?

Seriously though, Brighton, Doncaster and Swindon's goalkeepers have all made great saves to stop us from scoring, but so has Dan at the other end, and they've just found a way past him once. If we had an average keeper in goal these could easily have been 2/3-0s from 2/3 chances.

I found it frustrating and disappointing but yes I did enjoy it, unlike the Walsall game where I thought we were poor.

If you read the post match comments and twitter most people commented that we were unlucky and played well.

Some however just look a the goal scored amount and ignore everything else.

Seriously though, Brighton, Doncaster and Swindon's goalkeepers have all made great saves to stop us from scoring, but so has Dan at the other end, and they've just found a way past him once. If we had an average keeper in goal these could easily have been 2/3-0s from 2/3 chances.

He wasnt really tested against Swindon, one long range is all I remember him making, and he spilled that.

The highlights for Doncaster dont show him making a string of saves either.

I found it frustrating and disappointing but yes I did enjoy it, unlike the Walsall game where I thought we were poor.

If you read the post match comments and twitter most people commented that we were unlucky and played well.

He wasnt really tested against Swindon, one long range is all I remember him making, and he spilled that.

The highlights for Doncaster dont show him making a string of saves either.

In reality, that's all that matters though

In a very short term view yes. However any team can have a bad day and bad luck so you have to look at the bigger picture.

The biggest picture we have shows we dont score enough goals, 1 in 4 is not good enough. However when you actually dig a little deeper then you see that we got two decent away draws, and we did enough to beat Swindon without doing so.

In reality is that still leaves us in the bottom 3, but when I look at that I see a team that isnt far from getting results and is capable of improvement, as opposed to a team that will never be able to.

All about perception.

In a very short term view yes. However any team can have a bad day and bad luck so you have to look at the bigger picture.

The biggest picture we have shows we dont score enough goals, 1 in 4 is not good enough. However when you actually dig a little deeper then you see that we got two decent away draws, and we did enough to beat Swindon without doing so.

In reality is that still leaves us in the bottom 3, but when I look at that I see a team that isnt far from getting results and is capable of improvement, as opposed to a team that will never be able to.

All about perception.

This for me is the main thing. We do enough to beat a lot of teams but don't so what is missing to change that?

Whoops, Swindon not Coventry.
My prediction for 23rd January is 16th, you heard it here first:smile:

Great post that, I felt the same.

The League Table based on goals scored versus the League Table based on Points accumulated in games after 'what you scored versus what they scored' was taken into account.

goals%20scored.jpg

When you take out the top 2 who scored lots AND kept it extremely tight at the back, from the next 10 teams (who all would have finished above us based only on goals scored), just 2 would have improved their League position. It was never a one-sided coin. Our attack-shy approach wasn't fun to watch but it was entirely effective in its objective.

Have lots of fun Barry, but get used to League 2 football.

Can we put this to bed now?

Back