• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Tommy2holes

Life President⭐
Post match thoughts and ratings Sufc v Walsall

A good game of football played at good tempo against a side who kept the ball well with both sides looking to go out wide and counter.

Smith. 5 I'm glad he is second choice as he should have done so much better tonight. Spilled an easy save and was spared by the offside flag and then let a shot go straight through him.

Coker 6 average.

Mads 6.5 Grew more as the game went on and I would say he will get a run in the side.

Prosser 5 not a great performance and his distribution is woeful

Thompson 3 really poor performance and was caught out time and time again.

Atkinson 6 looked average until being subbed off.

Leonard 7 Got stuck in and scored a thunderbolt

Worrell. 6. Got stuck in and had acres for most of the time he was on and just didn't get passed to but look good on the ball.

Clifford 7 looked good on the ball and got stuck in and looked to get the ball moving.

Payne 6 looked decent going forward but gave the ball away a good few times and his shooting was poor.

Coulthurst 6 it didn't really work out for him tonight and he was close on a few occassions but loook bright and alert.

Barney 7 worked hard showed good touches and looked like the Barney of old.

Weston 7 looked pacey and wanted the ball. Made a difference.

Hurst didn't get a touch of the ball really.

Walsall kept the ball well and made us chase and we didn't hold on to the ball long enough but had chances and Barney not getting a penalty and there player being sent off was a farce.

Jesus considering you said it was a decent game your scoring a are harsh. Thompson 3???? At least a 6 and Payne 6???? At least 8.

Really enjoyed the game. We played some nice stuff and deserved a positive result

Smith...5 Still looked nervy. Thought he should have done better with the goals
Thompson...6 Ok. Fitted into the 3 at the back
Coker...6 Did some good things, but sometimes control let him down
Mads 6.5 Ok. Got stronger by the minute
Prosser 6.5 Solid.
Atkinson 6.5 Usual workmanlike show. Went off early
Leonard 7 Typical Lenny performance. Great hit from the free kick
Worrell. 6.5 Liked the look of him (looks better than Hurst)
Payne 7.5 My MOTM. Started off tidy then got forward more as the game went on. He should be pleased with himself
Coulthurst 6 Looks dangerous, but missed several good chances. I'd stick with him though
Barney 7 Looks sharp. Will be a real threat this season
Subs
Clifford 6 Awful start to the game, but got stronger
Weston 7 Lively and has good pace. A good signing
Hurst 6 Looks overweight. Will have to fight hard to keep his place from Worrell

Jesus considering you said it was a decent game your scoring a are harsh. Thompson 3???? At least a 6 and Payne 6???? At least 8.

Thompson was abysmal tonight his positioning was **** poor. He didn't close down his man for the first goal. He looked very poor on the ball. He is not the answer at right back.

Payne is good going forward but he nearly cost us goals. I'd love to see his pass conversion rate because he gave the ball away so much. His shooting was poor aswell. I just think he is a luxury.

Thompson 3?! Didn't think he was that bad tonight imo.

Agreed. Thought Thompson did quite well.
Payne for me was at least a 7 too.
Agreed Mads looked shakey in the first half, but really grew in the second half. One killer long pass to the left (weston?). Couple of good tackles and blocks. Early fears about indecision somewhat forgotten.

It was a good game won by a killer strike to be fair.

As for pen shout, what the hell? last man, brought down in the box. Tells the players and Brown conflicting stories. To top it off, I suspect Brown is the one in trouble for speaking out against **** officials.

I wasn't keen on the 3-5-2 formation but the performance overall was a good one. Walsall were a decent team playing some good stuff, we can't complain about losing to them, and we were quite unlucky in the end. With a full strength team I can see us beating teams of that quality which is promising. Good to see a few new signings making their debuts and doing well and others like Payne growing in confidence. Lots of positives to take forward.

Smith 5 Looks shakey and lacking confidence, I'm not one to slag him off for the sake of it but he wasn't convincing tonight. Some fans need to realise that Bentley is a top goalkeeper for this level and no back up keeper at this level will be anywhere near as good.
Thompson 5 Poor, looked unsure as a centre back in a back three and was exploited all the time. Better in a 4-4-2 but still all over the place with his positioning.
Ibenfeldt 6.5 First half he was poor and looked nervous, second half and with 4-4-2 he was more assured, great on the ball and made some fantastic passes.
Prosser 6 Not the Prosser we saw at his best last season, he lead well but not as good on the ball as most players we've got and it showed tonight.
Worrall 7.5 Creative and got forward well, you can tell he's played at a higher level and was a welcome change to have out wide. Hope his knock wasn't too bad.
Atkinson 6 Injured relatively early on and didn't have much influence before that.
Leonard 6.5 Not at his best but made a few driving runs and a great finish for the goal.
Payne 7.5 MOTM Best I've seen from him, wasn't afraid to shoot and made a great pass for Coultihurst, seemed to grow in confidence as the game went on and his performance improved with it.
Coker 6.5 Did his role well and got forward when needed and defended when needed.
Barnard 7 Much better than the player we saw at the end of last season, still not a major threat but much improved.
Coultihurst 7.5 Had chance after chance and was unlucky not to score. Seemed a real threat throughout and had their defence worried, should be a threat in League 2.

Clifford 6.5 Did the holding role well but didn't have a massive influence on the game.
Weston 7 Got the ball forward well and used his pace well too.
Hurst 6 Seemed a bit disinterested and didn't have time to have an impact.

Blimey it's funny how we all see a different game even though we were watching the same one!

Post match thoughts and ratings Sufc v Walsall

A good game of football played at good tempo against a side who kept the ball well with both sides looking to go out wide and counter.

Smith. 5 I'm glad he is second choice as he should have done so much better tonight. Spilled an easy save and was spared by the offside flag and then let a shot go straight through him. Agreed

Coker 6 average. Agree but was not given the ball when in acres of space, didn't support Prosser as much as Worrell supported Mads

Mads 6.5 Grew more as the game went on and I would say he will get a run in the side. Agree but looked a tart with his short shorts, His heading ability worries me.

Prosser 5 not a great performance and his distribution is woeful. Disagree thought he had an ok game TBH He didn't have a lot of options to be able to pass at times or support from Coker 6

Thompson 3 really poor performance and was caught out time and time again. disagree was worth 5

Atkinson 6 looked average until being subbed off. agree Went to hospital with poor vision after the knock he received but I thought he was average up till then anyway 5

Leonard 7 Got stuck in and scored a thunderbolt Not his usual standard for me 6

Worrell. 6. Got stuck in and had acres for most of the time he was on and just didn't get passed to but look good on the ball. Agree

Clifford 7 looked good on the ball and got stuck in and looked to get the ball moving. Agree

Payne 6 looked decent going forward but gave the ball away a good few times and his shooting was poor. Disagree he was running the midfield when taken off. Demonstrated by the fact that they scored not long after the substitution my MOM 8

Coulthurst 6 it didn't really work out for him tonight and he was close on a few occassions but loook bright and alert. Disagree thought some of the turns he made and his positioning was good. 7

Barney 7 worked hard showed good touches and looked like the Barney of old. Agree the dummy he made to allow Coulthurst in was sublime but I think he was worth 8

Weston 7 looked pacey and wanted the ball. Made a difference. agree

Hurst didn't get a touch of the ball really. agree but I didn't think he tried much either!

Walsall kept the ball well and made us chase and we didn't hold on to the ball long enough but had chances and Barney not getting a penalty and there player being sent off was a farce.

Ref was shocking

Barney and Coulthurst need to work as a pair more, but I think it is early days and this will happen.

Smith was awful - the first goal was his fault as he called for it then had a go at Thompson for not clearing it, got lucky with the offside and I'm not sure if he should have saved the second goal. Coulthirst was equally bad - he squandered countless obvious opportunities.

Thanks to th ticket fiasco I was stuck in South Lower so didn't get a good view of the incident just before half time - will be interesting to see whether a) it should have been a penalty b) it should have been a red card. I also felt their number 7 got extremely lucky after getting bbored for a cynical foul on Payne he then put in a tackle on Worrall which the referee deemed fair but I would have predicted would be punished with a second caution.

As a whole I thought we deserved to win as we matched them in the first half and dominated the, in the second - their goal was the only Walsall attack I can recall.

Thompson was abysmal tonight his positioning was **** poor. He didn't close down his man for the first goal. He looked very poor on the ball. He is not the answer at right back.

Payne is good going forward but he nearly cost us goals. I'd love to see his pass conversion rate because he gave the ball away so much. His shooting was poor aswell. I just think he is a luxury.

I thought it was Worrall who didn't close down for the 1st goal? I even commented to my son at the time that he just stood with his arms behind his back when the cross was made.

Thompson is a weak link and can't believe he is still here ....on a positive note, Phil has made some cracking signings and i think we will go up!

I don't want to jump on the "Smith haters bandwagon" but whatever was PB thinking about resigning him? I have spoken to him several times since he's been at the club and he's a smashing bloke but following the disaster he had against Dagenham & Redbridge last year, he looks shot and an absolute liability. His confidence has gone and the crowd don't have any faith whatsoever in him.

The thing is, if Bentley were to be injured or sold during the season, Smith would be in the team. Surely it would have been better to have released him at the end of last season and brought another goalkeeper to sit on the bench and be back up to Dan? I never thought that Smith would ever play again for the club following D&R and I cannot think PB has done him (nor the squad) any favours by bringing him back this year. I remember the dogs abuse he got in that game and there were rumblings of that around me again last night. I do not want to see him get pitched into a game, drop a howler and be destroyed thereafter by the crowd.

I hope that what was seen last night from Smith convinces Brown that another keeper is a needed as a back up to Bentley and we sign one as a matter of priority.

I have seen us play worse and win, we had enough good chances to win two games.
Yes we conceded 2 but Shaq had 4 v good chances and put them all just outside the post (didn't Tomlin do that for the first 5/6 games) however he will score plenty. Barney was much more the player he was 1st time around and a handful; defo pen and should have scored from a 1-1 in the first half, seemed more offside aware.
All middies looked good- ok, IMO the weakest I saw last night was Kevan.
At the back it took time to gel but all looked good for Div 2, biggest worry was the backward passing, slow and hoof clearances.
Smithy was usual, good shot stopper, saves the exceptional and fluffs easier chances; and again good enough for cover GK in div2.
Ref Ward was v poor, silly bookings, bottled the pen/red card. I hope we don't get him again.

I thought his passing was very good last night actually. A lovely thru ball to Coulhirst came so close to Coulhirst very nearly scoring. I'd love to see his pass rate, only if it's to prove you wrong

FAcup tie Versus Man Cty back in the 50s was one wet ground,if i remember rightly it was the mud thats sved Man Cty when the ball stopped on the goal line in the mud. Man Cty went on to win the fa cup.

Personally not unhappy to see us out of this and the LDV. Both can create unwanted games, injury's and distractions which ultimately effect out core goal this season which is promotion.

Can only assume PB feels the same as that was a pretty weak side we sent out last night and we tried a new formation.

Totally agree about Thompson ..... well out of his depth in this league !!! No pace at all for this level , few good performances from others though ....

Personally not unhappy to see us out of this and the LDV. Both can create unwanted games, injury's and distractions which ultimately effect out core goal this season which is promotion.

Can only assume PB feels the same as that was a pretty weak side we sent out last night and we tried a new formation.

I would be very happy to see us go up as Champions and have a successful day out at Wembley in the JPT (where did LDV come from?)..........now that would be a good season!!!

Back