• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Southend United. Who Cares?

Forgive my ignorance, but I assume you have a Supporters Trust set up? And that you've been in touch with Supporters Direct? If not, let me know.

ATB, J_S.

Are you the peoples front of Judea ? how many attended....IMO youre gonna need at least 1000 fans to make an impact, like it was mentioned ....a handful of supporters like the last protest will frankly be quite embarassing Tillys gone (sadly) turn the page and on we go....my suggestion is wait and see what happens before the season starts ...If we still only have 9 players and embargoed then will be the time for action.....

How do we know what the Consortium's views are? They spoke to me.
How do we know the Trust's view. They spoke to me.

If someone can get Anglia and BBC East involved great.

A thousand people at the demo. That's the plan. So get spreading that news.

Tilson. Gone and not forgotten. But we are not anti-Sturrock in any way shape or form.

The "name", a spur of the moment thing. Not going to get hung up on that, shame no one came along and suggest the Love Southend Hate Martin line. Ah well.

If at the beginning of the season we have 9 players and an embargo, it will be two late to protest because we wont exist.

Not to come across as weak minded or anything but like everyone else I only want wants best for SUFC, I'm disgusted with what has happened to Tilly and swapping and changing managers has never done any team a favour. That said, I'm optimistic about the new appointments an believe it gives us a fighting chance of assembling a squad before the season starts. Heard on the radio this morning that the Shrimpers Trust (the orgainisation I put my most loyalty towards) is urging all fans to get behind the new management team. Now, whilst I understand that the planned protest is not anti-Sturrock I would like clarification from the Trust about where they stand for Friday.

Protest dont get much done on the moving forward front but just like a big fart when you are bloated it feels good to get it out in the open.
Ron is looking tired and if you the fans can make it unbearable then he might just might sell up but i feel you have to go further and be more ruthless.Blockages,dissruption of his life and familys life in a non voilent way of course,remeber that yesterday he stated to a fan it was his club not ours.
Well done for your efforts and good luck but remeber not all fans will be behind you and that fact is and should be respected.

Protest dont get much done on the moving forward front but just like a big fart when you are bloated it feels good to get it out in the open.
Ron is looking tired and if you the fans can make it unbearable then he might just might sell up but i feel you have to go further and be more ruthless.Blockages,dissruption of his life and familys life in a non voilent way of course,remeber that yesterday he stated to a fan it was his club not ours.
Well done for your efforts and good luck but remeber not all fans will be behind you and that fact is and should be respected.

Well said mate

I heard that also..echo's of Vic Jobson sprang to mind although to be fair even Vic didn't make me feel as bad about SUFC as I do ATM.:scared:

Are you the peoples front of Judea ? how many attended....IMO youre gonna need at least 1000 fans to make an impact, like it was mentioned ....a handful of supporters like the last protest will frankly be quite embarassing Tillys gone (sadly) turn the page and on we go....my suggestion is wait and see what happens before the season starts ...If we still only have 9 players and embargoed then will be the time for action.....

**** Off

we are the Judean peoples front!

If someone can get Anglia and BBC East involved great.

A thousand people at the demo. That's the plan. So get spreading that news.

Tilson. Gone and not forgotten. But we are not anti-Sturrock in any way shape or form.

The "name", a spur of the moment thing. Not going to get hung up on that, shame no one came along and suggest the Love Southend Hate Martin line. Ah well.

If at the beginning of the season we have 9 players and an embargo, it will be two late to protest because we wont exist.

Ron isn't stupid, he knows what needs to be done. Either he will shortly have the money to do it or he won't. Protesting will not change this, and I think he already knows how the fans feel. The Echo have splattered the clubs shortcomings, over the front and back pages so many times over the last 6 months, that there can't be anybody living locally who isn't aware. So what does the protest achieve? Ron already knows how we feel, the people of Southend know what is going on, so are we after national coverage? And what purpose does that serve?

Just to be clear on the consortium's stance:

1 They made two different offers to Ron Martin. One in particular was a very good offer to walk away with lots of money. He didn't want to do a deal. They still await Martin's contact, but it's up to him if he wants to do a deal as long as he is majority shareholder.

2 Do a deal with Sainsbury's. The consortium's finances are in better shape than Martin's, they can get the stadium built quicker, and they would be able to ensure the club is run properly with a proper team paid on time, etc. Sainsbury's ultimately have a control over the shares and can control what Martin does if they want to. Pressure from the fans would help to achieve that.

3 If the club goes into administration, the consortium would be willing to pick it up out of administration.

As I see it, 1 is extremely unlikely because of a certain person's stance. 2 would be the best option. 3 would not be a disaster as the club could continue. Worst scenario is if the club goes into liquidation.

The club is still nowhere near out of the woods and anyone believing all is now suddenly rosy is sadly mistaken - despite another great PR job in the last couple of days, the likes of which we've seen this many times before and yet some people still don't get it. eg Did the Webb PR masterstroke work and ensure the club didn't go down? Of course not, because Webb was only ever a distraction to stop the fury over Brush and he soon didn't stick around when he saw what was happening at the club. And the treatment of the players, embargo, etc was after another Sainsbury's cash injection to Martin. So why would it be any different this time? However, anyone willing to believe Martin will somehow be different now - you're welcoming to your opinions, but I just can't work out why anyone may think him being in control would be in the club's long-term interests when there are alternatives.

The alternatives include trying to put pressure on Sainsbury's to effect a change of control so that:
(a) we get someone else in to run the club who can run it sustainably in the long-term, but also so that we can have a proper team to watch this season and with Tilly there;
(b) the new stadium gets built (good news for everyone).

We can still force a change by fans' pressure and get a change of control. That can only be achieved, though, if that's what the fans want. If the fans are happy with what we've got at the moment, that's what we'll end up with.

Maybe some people feel that Martin's obviously been managing fine and the upwards spiral that we've been witnessing in the last few months has been a joy to watch, and that these are truly great times to watch and support SUFC. Not only that, but things will be getting better with him in charge. I'm afraid I have to disagree with that, though.

Well, in five years time I guess we'll know which one of us was right. I fear we'll be on our third or fourth post-Tilson boss by then.

Or we could have stuck with Tilson and be non league. Tilson, very nice bloke, good manager when Eastwood was playing fot him, hasn't set the world alight since Eastwood left. Time for change.

Or we could have stuck with Tilson and be non league. Tilson, very nice bloke, good manager when Eastwood was playing fot him, hasn't set the world alight since Eastwood left. Time for change.

I'd say the Eastwood scenario works both ways bearing in mind he's done the square root of sod all since leaving Roots Hall.

The last two seasons Tilly has had to work with primarily loan players, and they were becoming younger and younger and of increasingly variable ability. In 40+ years of being a Blues supporter last summer was the first summer that we did not make one permanent signing.

It's well and good Ron Martin citing our budget against that of Exeter, and in essence of accusing Tilly of blowing a lot of money (and yes some buys were poor), but who actually sorts out the contracts with the players? Not Tilly or any manager I'd wager.
Secondly Tilly (or any manager) may identify a player he wants to bring to the club, but negotiation of transfer fees aren't done by managers they are done by the chairmen of clubs, and also in association with the players agent, who in the meantime will be in negotitiation with the chairman over his players contract. Therefore the chairman is entirely responsible for expenditure.

Do you care to share what was said or your views on it? Why are they not approaching Ron now to make him an offer? (Is it to get themselves a better bargain?). What are their plans regarding ownership of the new stadium / rent payable by SUFC? Revenue generated at the new stadium?

To clear matters up could a spokesman for the consortium not get in touch with the echo and state what they would or would not be willing to do. They don't have to mention names or figures but at least that way people would actualy believe that they are willing to help. At the moment it's a case of one person saying they know someone from it and and somebody else saying they had spoke to someone else.

They need to let everybody know that they are there like the red knights did with Man Utd, then maybe people can get behind one common cause.

Until then we are stuck with what we have and we have to hope that the bills will be paid and we can start signing/loaning players for this season.

Back