• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Southend United. Who Cares?

Lord Football

Blues on Tour
A report from tonight's meeting.

Whilst we were not swamped with people, sufficient people turned out to voice their opinions.

The overwhelming view of those attending was

a. We want to see a sustainable League football side playing in Southend
b. We do not trust anything officially that comes out of the Club.
c. We are not setting up a splinter group to oppose any existing organisation
d. Whatever we do must learn the lessons of the past (notably the Jobson campaigns)

Some background was provided on the consortium and how they fit into the scheme of things. It was made clear that they will only get involved if the club go into Administration or if a deal can be reached with Sainsbury.

Some thought was given to up coming Winding Up Orders; but given the news of the new manager many believe that somehow this will be avoided.

The dismissal of Tilson was seen as the straw that broke the camels back.

Action.

There will be a protest at the Ipswich game on Friday, starting at 7pm. This will continue outside o the ground until the game finishes. This will be publicised via facebook, SZ and with a High Street leafletting campaign. A facebook group called Southend United, Who Cares will be set up in the next few hours and the link provided here in the next few hours.

People are encouraged to bring banners.

Two individuals will be contacting the Evening Echo directly during the week.

Thought will go into a round the clock vigil outside of Roots Hall.

Thought will go into a march from the High Street to the Ground on the day of the Derby friendly.

A further meeting will take place on Tuesday 13th July, once again, in the back garden of the Spread Eagle.

IF THE IPSWICH GAME DOES NOT GO AHEAD, THE DEMO WILL TAKE PLACE AT THE DERBY GAME.

Last edited:
Really do admire everyone involved for wanting to take action.

For me, personally, it's a MASSIVE week in SUFC history and any protest right now seems a bit premature.

If events over the last 24 hours have shown anything, it's that something has changed. Come Friday, we could have survived the hearing, be out of an embargo and have signed 4-5 (or more!?) players and who knows what's going to be announced about the progress at FF.

If that is the case, then it seems Ron is starting to come through on some of his promises, so what exactly is the protest about?

Perhaps better to focus those efforts into getting behind the new management regime and any new signings? Surely you don't want their very first taste of our club to be one of protest? Not a great message to send out n

Anyways, as i say, that's my opinion and best of luck with what you are trying to achieve.

Great news guys well done, agree with everything, my only criticism is the name who cares, my choice would maybe be Southend United: We Care!

But thats just a small thing and I am 100% behind you guys and will do what I can!

Really do admire everyone involved for wanting to take action.

For me, personally, it's a MASSIVE week in SUFC history and any protest right now seems a bit premature.

If events over the last 24 hours have shown anything, it's that something has changed. Come Friday, we could have survived the hearing, be out of an embargo and have signed 4-5 (or more!?) players and who knows what's going to be announced about the progress at FF.

If that is the case, then it seems Ron is starting to come through on some of his promises, so what exactly is the protest about?

Perhaps better to focus those efforts into getting behind the new management regime and any new signings? Surely you don't want their very first taste of our club to be one of protest? Not a great message to send out n

Anyways, as i say, that's my opinion and best of luck with what you are trying to achieve.

I agree, a some kind of protest, even if it is to show how much of a united group we are, even if the game on friday doesn't take place, I personally still think people will go down to the hall.
If a team is put together I will go and watch the game.
The change doesn't change how much we dislike Ron Martin, and how he has treated us all. But supporting the new manager and assistant is completely the right thing to do.
Even if we voice our opinion before and after. It's a tough decision to make now.

I agree, a some kind of protest, even if it is to show how much of a united group we are, even if the game on friday doesn't take place, I personally still think people will go down to the hall.
If a team is put together I will go and watch the game.
The change doesn't change how much we dislike Ron Martin, and how he has treated us all. But supporting the new manager and assistant is completely the right thing to do.
Even if we voice our opinion before and after. It's a tough decision to make now.

The cynics would say thats the point?...

One of the things that we all agreed was on that in game protests were a no, no. A lesson learned from the past perhaps?

Any demonstrations will not be done in front of the players and will not be aimed at them. We must not let the club divide and conquor the fanbase.

One of the things that we all agreed was on that in game protests were a no, no. A lesson learned from the past perhaps?

Any demonstrations will not be done in front of the players and will not be aimed at them. We must not let the club divide and conquor the fanbase.

So will people be watching the game? or...

Great effort on actually getting together, another example of what a top class fan base we have.

a. We want to see a sustainable League football side playing in Southend

I'm not sure that that is an objective in it's own right. I'm sure that Ron Martin would like to see that too and if he's cut the wagebill to £1.4m and succeeded in getting that amount in in a cash injection on top of the money needed to pay off the PFA, HMRC and Charterhouse then he'll have succeeded in achieving that, at least in the short term.

In the long term we either need a massive cut in our expenditure to achieve that or a massive increase in our income. Without one or the other we'll continue to bleed cash.

Like pboreham, I've got nothing but respect for those willing to get off their backsides and do something about saving our Club, and I'm as annoyed and angry about the treatment of Steve Tilson as anyone but the actions of the last 36 hours don't strike me as being those of a Club about to go into Administration.

I'm not sure that that is an objective in it's own right. I'm sure that Ron Martin would like to see that too and if he's cut the wagebill to £1.4m and succeeded in getting that amount in in a cash injection on top of the money needed to pay off the PFA, HMRC and Charterhouse then he'll have succeeded in achieving that, at least in the short term.

In the long term we either need a massive cut in our expenditure to achieve that or a massive increase in our income. Without one or the other we'll continue to bleed cash.

Like pboreham, I've got nothing but respect for those willing to get off their backsides and do something about saving our Club, and I'm as annoyed and angry about the treatment of Steve Tilson as anyone but the actions of the last 36 hours don't strike me as being those of a Club about to go into Administration.

Exactly Exactly Exactly Exactly Exactly!

But, I will also not be surprised if Sturrock wasn't here next week, due to Ron not keeping his promises.
On the other hand, the pair of them do not strike me as the kind of guys to just believe Martin's words.

here we ****ing go . We discussed the backlash from people like you at the meeting . Its time to move on were at the brink of extinction you fool

I don't think we are on the brink of extinction. Sturrock would not be here if he thought SUFC where on the brink of extinction. 'People like me' and 'fool'. If you can't answer a genuine post without being rude, then just ignore me please.

I think Sturrock needs to be supported, it's not his fault now is it.

Can't we just shamelessly borrow from the Man U fans? Chanting, displaying banners etc by saying:

"Hate Ron Martin, love Southend" will:

- get the message across to all what I think most of us feel on SZ,
- not give out a negative to the new management, and
- also indirectly let Tilly know that we are with him (just chanting Tilly's name ould I feel seem like a negative to the new management duo)

.............and, perhaps just as important if we are looking to send out a messge in the local area where all too many are still apathetic towards the Club (hence I do wonder whether the 'Who Cares?' banner might be greeted with some ironic responses), be a chant that the local population premiership moronic followers will recogonise and maybe then latch on to in supprt of SUFC. From that we might then get a bit more joining in on any march etc.

When trying to rally or show mass support something brief, well known and catchy will tend to work over an above anything else no matter how well thought out and locally appropriate.

Otherwise I do just fear a rather small bunch of SUFC followers marching along which might look a bit embarrassing and Martin will then think he has won.

What do yer think?

PS Well done to all those who went along tonight. Joining up from Suffolk was not an option I had.

I don't think we are on the brink of extinction. Sturrock would not be here if he thought SUFC where on the brink of extinction. 'People like me' and 'fool'. If you can't answer a genuine post without being rude, then just ignore me please.

I think Sturrock needs to be supported, it's not his fault now is it.

careful he may be the future chairman of AFC southend and will not want people like you there

Can't we just shamelessly borrow from the Man U fans? Chanting, displaying banners etc by saying:

"Hate Ron Martin, love Southend" will:

- get the message across to all what I think most of us feel on SZ,
- not give out a negative to the new management, and
- also indirectly let Tilly know that we are with him (just chanting Tilly's name ould I feel seem like a negative to the new management duo)

.............and, perhaps just as important if we are looking to send out a messge in the local area where all too many are still apathetic towards the Club (hence I do wonder whether the 'Who Cares?' banner might be greeted with some ironic responses), be a chant that the local population premiership moronic followers will recogonise and maybe then latch on to in supprt of SUFC. From that we might then get a bit more joining in on any march etc.

When trying to rally or show mass support something brief, well known and catchy will tend to work over an above anything else no matter how well thought out and locally appropriate.

Otherwise I do just fear a rather small bunch of SUFC followers marching along which might look a bit embarrassing and Martin will then think he has won.

What do yer think?

PS Well done to all those who went along tonight. Joining up from Suffolk was not an option I had.

very very good

Back